Thread: anyone using saluda cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default anyone using saluda cymbals?

Has anyone here had much experience with them? I keep seeing them pop up on Facebook. I've been kind of curious not sure if I want to make the switch though.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: anyone using saluda cymbals?

I ordered one 10" china from them. It sounded nice but it was literally just a Chinese-made blank with a little hammering and a logo on it. It was around $70, and you could (not sure if you still can) get the originals for under $20 under the XingSir name. They sound virtually the same.
    As far as their other cymbals go, I haven't played any but the samples I've heard aren't that exciting for me. I'd definitely look at other options first if you plan on switching. They will custom hammer or lathe the cymbal for you, but really it's not all that different unless you just want cool designs on your cymbals for visual effect. They just take raw cymbals from China and hammer them a little.

User Info Menu

Yeah, people I know keep talking about them. There just isn't much online about them.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

It could be because for a period of time they were offering endorsements to basically anyone. As far as I know you still had to pay for your cymbals though (probably slightly discounted), and since virtually anyone could get the deal, that endorsement didn't really mean anything, but a lot of people were still excited just to have it on paper I guess.
    The 2 positives about them are:
    1. They have a lot of promotions, as you probably saw on Facebook.
    and
    2. The lifetime warranty against edge cracks up until a certain length is unique as far as I know.
    They also do trade-ins, so if you have some cheap stuff lying around you could send it in and try one of their cymbals to see if you like it. Jamie (who I think is the owner) is super helpful but now he is not usually the one responding to emails. The other people are really hit or miss.

User Info Menu

16" med. "diamond" crashes are my go-to crashes: they "break your ears!"
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Yeah, I didn't have a very good experience with them. I probably had close to 12 of their pies.

Then this happened and they weren't very accommodating:

I sold them all and returned to using real cymbals:

My advice.............stay away.

User Info Menu

Wow good to know.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I have a lot of experience with saluda cymbals.In the past I used mostly zildjian a customs, but I had a few sabian aa's. I had seen the name popping up a lot and was curious. Some people loved them some people hated them. I gathered up some of my old b8 student grade cymbals I wasn't using and contacted Jamie ( the owner) of saluda cymbals.he offered me a fair trade in value towards some saluda gear. I ended up liking what I got and later ordered a 20" ozone crash/ride. When I got it , it wasn't as heavily hammered as I was Hoping for and the sound was just a bit off. I called and told jamie and he said to send it back and he'd take care of it. A few weeks later it came back heavily hammered and sounded fantastic. I now have a large collection of saludas and love them.probably more than I can could count. I still have my a customs and k's as well as my sabians.they all have their place.

I have heard the stories about how saluda buys b20 grade blanks and hammers and lathes them and slaps the saluda logo on them. Maybe that's true, I don't know.I do know that the customer service is top notch and that They have sold me some very nice and musical pies.

For the price , I think they are certainly worth looking into if your curious.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

Pure crap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carbohydrate kid View Post

I have heard the stories about how saluda buys b20 grade blanks and hammers and lathes them and slaps the saluda logo on them. Maybe that's true, I don't know.
    I am pretty sure that is true of most independent cymbal manufacturers.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't care if a company buys blanks in - it wouldn't bother me if the guy was selling rebranded cymbals as long as I was happy with the sound and they were less expensive than buying the cymbal from the original manufacturer. However...

I have read on other forums of fake cymbals (old K or Constantinople - can't remember) were being sold on eBay and the seller was allegedly associated with Saluda. I can't confirm that this is true, but I know that a couple of years ago there was a spate of bogus posts from someone posing as a customer - in reality it was advertising for the company disguised as a customer review.

I would avoid this company out of principle.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 10-15-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Gramatical mistooks