Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell us something about yourself that we didn't know.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tell us something about yourself that we didn't know.

I've had 39 different jobs before I was 21 years old.
    From pumping gas to making optical comparators.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-16-2016 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

I've been playing drums a looooong time. Probably longer than some of you have been walking the earth........and Friday night I got my first blister from playing. Was actually bleeding on my poor stick. Must have been doing something wrong.

User Info Menu

I was thrown out of high school because, while I always cut my classes and was in trouble for that, I walked in 1 day looking for a friend in my leather jacket with our colors on it (they were forbidden), my shades up on my head, taps on my shoes (very loud in the hallways) and a lit cigarette dangling from my mouth.

The vice-principle came out of a room that I didn't expect him to be in and grabbed me, told me that he hadn't seen me in a year (no surprise there), and that he was waiting for this and I was gone, and that was that.

That was September of '62, 3 months before my 16th birthday.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 09-19-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: ===

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I was thrown out of high school because, while I always cut my classes and was I trouble for that, I walked in 1 day looking for a friend in my leather jacket with our colors on it (they were forbidden), my shades up on my head, taps on my shoes (very loud in the hallways) and a lit cigarette dangling from my mouth.

The vice-principle came out of a room that I didn't expect him to be in and grabbed me, told me that he hadn't seen me in a year (no surprise there), and that he was waiting for this and I was gone, and that was that.

That was September of '62, 3 months before my 16th birthday.
    Rick that's classic !! Back in 1966 I was six years old . My dad was a shoemaker and he had his own shoe repair shop (back when people got their shoes fixed instead of throwing them away) . We would have teenagers come in and want my dad to put taps on their shoes . My dad would tell them " no I can't put those on for you because they're banned at school and your parents would be very upset and come in and give me hell " . Then when they would show him that look of disappointment he would point to me and say "but he can" LOL ! Seriously I would stand on a stool and take the shoes and put the taps on for them !
    You have no idea how far this takes me back ! I had all but forgotten about that ! LOL . How I miss my dad .
    Thanks Rick for the memories !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    How I miss my dad .
    Me too. Mine died three months before the birth of my daughter, who would have been his first grandchild. He was sick with cancer and I'm convinced that he let go before her birth intentionally, as if he held on for her, his passing would have tainted her birthday forever.

My daughter is 17 now and I have a tattoo of the cross that appears on Dad's headstone.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Wednesday, the 21st, would have been my Dad's 95th birthday.

Next Sunday, the 25th, will be 57 years since he died, 4 days after his 38th birthday in 1959.

I still miss him.

The strange thing is that after he died, I mentally blanked out everybody's birthday in my family. To this day I can't tell you when my mother's, sister's, brother's, or any of my cousin's, aunt's, or uncle's birthday's are (or were), but I do remember my daughter's birthday's. Jan 8th, my youngest was 44, Feb 3rd, my middle daughter was 46 (R&R in Hawaii in June of '69. They gave it to me then and they had to know that my time was getting short as I shipped home at the end of August '69), and Oct 13th, my oldest will be 49.

User Info Menu

Wednesday, the 21st, would have been my Dad's 95th birthday.

Next Sunday, the 25th, will be 57 years since he died, 4 days after his 38th birthday in 1959.

I still miss him.

The strange thing is that after he died, I mentally blanked out everybody's birthday in my family. To this day I can't tell you when my mother's, sister's, brother's, or any of my cousin's, aunt's, or uncle's birthday's are (or were), but I do remember my daughter's birthday's. Jan 8th, my youngest was 44, Feb 3rd, my middle daughter was 46 (R&R in Hawaii in June of '69. They gave it to me then and they had to know that my time was getting short as I shipped home at the end of August '69), and Oct 13th, my oldest will be 49.

Rick, I can't imagine losing my dad at such a young age.

January 8th, the birthday of the king, and the day before mine.
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

When I was 14 I was at an Airshow in upstate NY. I was in Civil Air Patrol and was "guarding" an A4 that was sitting on the tarmac away from spectators.

The first "ACT" was a group of paratroopers/parachutists. The last jumper had an issue with his main chute and cut it away. Then his reserve "candle-sticked" and he fell to his death. I watched the whole thing from beginning to end.

He landed about 50 yards from me and bounced three times. I'll never forget the sound, and his name.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    When I was 14 I was at an Airshow in upstate NY. I was in Civil Air Patrol and was "guarding" an A4 that was sitting on the tarmac away from spectators.

The first "ACT" was a group of paratroopers/parachutists. The last jumper had an issue with his main chute and cut it away. Then his reserve "candle-sticked" and he fell to his death. I watched the whole thing from beginning to end.

He landed about 50 yards from me and bounced three times. I'll never forget the sound, and his name.
    Holy cow!!! That is one of the most awful things I have ever heard(or read). I bet that was a bit traumatic for you.

Sorry to hear about that. That's horrible!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Holy cow!!! That is one of the most awful things I have ever heard(or read). I bet that was a bit traumatic for you.

Wow... seeing death can change a person. I don't mean like when going to a wake or a funeral, but to actually see someone take their last breath is not something you forget.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Wow... seeing death can change a person.
    Yea, I made the mistake of watching that Isis video where they burned a guy alive in a cage. I thought I was pretty strong but it really messed me up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I bet that was a bit traumatic for you.

Ya know.....it really wasn't. The whole thing to this day seems very surreal.

Wow... seeing death can change a person. I don't mean like when going to a wake or a funeral, but to actually see someone take their last breath is not something you forget.
    I also saw NASCAR Driver J.D. McDuffie get killed right in front of me at a NASCAR race.

I just happen to be taking pics with my new Kodak Disc Camera...it had a feature where I could hold the button down and take several shots at once. I got about 4 or 5 pics of him crashing into the guard rail. I've got them put away somewhere in the attic. I don't believe I've ever scanned them and posted them onto the web.

When I was younger, and before I got deeper into drumming, I was going to school to be an EMT. It's what I wanted to do my whole life. I was attending NY State Fire Academy taking Fire Science courses and taking medical classes at Elmira College via a hospital sponsorship. I did a lot of volunteer rescue squad work, and saw a lot...I mean...A LOT of death. (It all started with me doing CPR on a 4 year old child). Some of the deceased were after the fact, some died while I was working on them. Some you knew were going to die while you helped them.

It was very difficult...very.....and the reason I got out of it after a few years. 10/31/88 to be exact.

Back then, they didn't train you for PTSD, and there was no counseling offered afterward. You just sucked it up and dealt with it and didn't talk about it.

As I get older I actually believe that I have suffered some PTSD from it all. Over the years I've dealt with it and compartmentalized it....but it still hard at times. Especially now that there are websites that show videos of accidents, shootings.....and just plain trauma. It brings back some heavy emotions, smells, sounds and feeling that you can't describe unless you've actually been there and experienced it. I can't even watch the videos on liveleak or other similar websites. It brings back painful memories.

I have an immense amount of respect for First Responders and Police Officers. They see awful things.

Without turning this into a hot political statement or debate, (please don't) I sometimes wonder if these Police officers that are involved in these awful shootings are acting as a result of PTSD related conditions. I certainly know they've experienced it and am not saying it excuses it...but it would explain a lot angry behavior...which is often how PTSD manifests itself. It really F's up your psyche....even if you don't show any effects.

#sorryforgettingreallydeep
    Last edited by EddieV; 09-20-2016 at 10:35 PM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

My father is a retired firefighter/paramedic and has stories for days. Some are funny and others are horrific. As far as police officers go as a teenager in the late 80s I couldn't stand them. Always harassing us about skateboarding even on city streets, and "other things" without getting to political. Well a roommate of mine wanted to be a LA sheriff and enrolled in the explorer program. He would beg me to go on a ride -along for about a year. Finally I gave in and went changed my life and my way of thinking! You have no idea how much crap we got into in 4-6 hours! It gave me a different outlook and appreciation for what cops go through everyday . I know times are worse than 25-30 years ago, but I recommend that everyone should do a ride along with your fire/police department and experience it firsthand. I will never forget that experience....

User Info Menu

"Some of the deceased were after the fact, some died while I was working on them. Some you knew were going to die while you helped them."

I had to deal with it in Nam. After Tet, I was assigned to the Army where I was either on Medevac choppers or gunships. I hated the Medevac choppers because of what you had to deal with. Some, like a T&T were easy, some were already gone, and the worst were the 1's you knew weren't going to make it and you lied to them telling them they were going to be fine, then look at the Medic and he would just shake his head "no" and you would watch the light go out of their eyes. I still see that almost 50 years later.

I don't know how I would have dealt with a child. It might have pushed me over the edge that, at the time, I didn't even know I was on.

"As I get older I actually believe that I have suffered some PTSD from it all."

You have. You can't do things like that without having things change inside of you. I know because I've been there.

"Especially now that there are websites that show videos of accidents, shootings.....and just plain trauma. It brings back some heavy emotions, smells, sounds and feeling that you can't describe"

I watch nothing on Nam because it just takes me back there. I can watch anything about WWII because I have no connection to it.

"I sometimes wonder if these Police officers that are involved in these awful shootings are acting as a result of PTSD related conditions. I certainly know they've experienced it and am not saying it excuses it...but it would explain a lot angry behavior...which is often how PTSD manifests itself. It really F's up your psyche....even if you don't show any effects."

I wonder the same thing too. I'm all too familiar with the anger. I don't have a short fuse, I have no fuse. My GF said that I was the only person she ever saw argue with a toaster.

After reading your post, I can empathize with you. Even though we come at it from 2 different directions, the end result is the same.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 09-21-2016 at 11:26 PM. Reason: ==

User Info Menu

Growing up in the country, we had around 7 or 8 people (maybe more...can't remember exactly) killed in car wrecks on the 1 mile stretch of highway right in front of our house. That was over a span of about 10 years. I used to think it was "cursed". The last one literally happened the very last moment I was there. I was 16 and we had sold the farm and moved to town. The farm house was empty and I was making the final walk-through, alone, to make sure we didn't forget anything. Before I walked out the door for the final time, I stopped to look out the window at our front yard. Just then, two cars collided head-on at 60mph right in front of the house. One car ended up in our front lawn, the other in the middle of the highway. Within seconds there was screaming. I called 911 and ran outside to help and saw bodies laying in the road and on our lawn. A 12yr old girl and her mother were killed. It took 20minutes for police and rescue to arrive. Meanwhile, I tended to those still alive as best I could. Looking back, that had waaaay more effect on me than I originally thought. Really screwed with my head for a few years.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Growing up in the country, we had around 7 or 8 people (maybe more...can't remember exactly) killed in car wrecks on the 1 mile stretch of highway right in front of our house. That was over a span of about 10 years. I used to think it was "cursed". The last one literally happened the very last moment I was there. I was 16 and we had sold the farm and moved to town. The farm house was empty and I was making the final walk-through, alone, to make sure we didn't forget anything. Before I walked out the door for the final time, I stopped to look out the window at our front yard. Just then, two cars collided head-on at 60mph right in front of the house. One car ended up in our front lawn, the other in the middle of the highway. Within seconds there was screaming. I called 911 and ran outside to help and saw bodies laying in the road and on our lawn. A 12yr old girl and her mother were killed. It took 20minutes for police and rescue to arrive. Meanwhile, I tended to those still alive as best I could. Looking back, that had waaaay more effect on me than I originally thought. Really screwed with my head for a few years.
    I don't think I would be able to stand watching someone die like that. Just an innocent family on the highway and all of a sudden, gone. You never know what can happen. Very sad. I can't imagine what you were thinking at 16.
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Yea, I made the mistake of watching that Isis video where they burned a guy alive in a cage. I thought I was pretty strong but it really messed me up.
    I am a former wedding photographer. There's a lot of burn out in the field and after 15 years or so I was done. Anyway, One wedding I did was an outside event in the dog days of summer. It was on a large farm like property. An older guy was on the dance floor with 6-8 kids, presumably his grandkids. Sadly, the heat was too much and he died right on the dance floor.
    EMS came with a defribulater and zapped him a few times, but he was already gone.
    Poor kids watched the whole thing.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

This thread is totally a downer now so to rescue it from its depressing direction I'll offer a subject change.

I have 2 dogs, both rescues. One is a 110 lb Goldendoodle (1/2 golden retriever and 1/2 standard poodle) and the other is a 40 lb labradoodle (1/2 mini poodle and 1/2 lab)
    These dogs are treated like royalty and at times I have made my human kids jealous at how much attention the dogs get.
    What can I say: I'm a sucker for a fluffy face.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I don't think I would be able to stand watching someone die like that. Just an innocent family on the highway and all of a sudden, gone. You never know what can happen. Very sad. I can't imagine what you were thinking at 16.
    The girl & her mom were killed on impact. Their necks were broke according to the Sheriff Deputy at the scene. There was an older sister in the car that survived. She was running around in shock, screaming at me to help her mom & sister. They had another sister & brother (not involved in the accident) who were also classmates of mine...so that was rather awkward in the months that followed. I avoided them because I felt that I hadn't done enough or tried to revive them. My first concern was the people still alive in the road and keeping another car or Tractor-trailer from hitting them. I was pretty hard on myself for about a year. Then one night, I was at a keg party. This blonde chic that I didn't know walks up to me smiling & crying. She introduced herself and said she owed her life to me. She remembered laying twisted on the pavement and seeing me standing over her. She said she honestly thought I was an angel (literally), and when I spoke to her she knew she would be OK. I felt like a huge weight of guilt had been lifted off my mind. Ironic that at that moment, she very well may have saved my life.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

My father came home from Vietnam in 67' my brother was born and he started drag racing. My mom, dad, and his two brothers would go down to Lions drag strip in LA. My dad was the driver and my mom and uncles would do the maintenance. As they say he was good enough to be pro and knew all the legends like Connie Kalitta, Don Garlits, Gene Snow, and others. Then I was born in 71' and put a wrench in the program, as my dad said milk was more important than gasoline. He sold everything and Lions drag strip closed down, then he joined the LA fire academy and became a firefighter.
    Last edited by Goro; 09-21-2016 at 09:43 PM.

User Info Menu

I was born across the border in Mexico . We emigrated in Feb. 1962 , I wasn't two years old yet . Back then it was a lot easier to get a green card . My dad had a sponsor who got him a job working in the silver mine in Safford Az. He put in the paper work and two days later he had his work permit . After a month of working the mine he had the money to apply for all of our green cards . A week later we were in the office getting our pictures taken for the cards . However...we weren't give the cards because I wasn't walking yet , they thought I might have polio . A week later we went back so that they could see me walking and we got the cards that day . I would not be here if I hadn't learned to walk with in the month they gave us .
    I know what it's like not to live in this country .To live in poverty in Mexico . Sleeping on dirt floors and having to bring water from up the hill in a bucket . I remember the old man who use to come by daily with his donkey selling firewood so my mom could cook our food and keep us warm at night . Even tho we had the green cards we still stayed in Mexico till I was old enough to go to kindergarten .
    I was the first one in my family to speak english . I had two older brothers and a older sister who were having a hard time in school because they didn't speak english .
    My dad took me everywhere with him . When he was getting his business license I was there translating for him . At six years old I had to grow up and act like an adult . I use to go with him when he had an appointment to make orthopedic shoes for elderly people , when my brothers would get in trouble at school I had to translate . Eventually his english got better and he didn't need me anymore . But I spent a lot of time with my dad ... more than most people . That's why I miss him so...

User Info Menu

I was born across the border in Mexico . We emigrated in Feb. 1962 , I wasn't two years old yet . Back then it was a lot easier to get a green card .
    I know what it's like not to live in this country .To live in poverty in Mexico . Sleeping on dirt floors and having to bring water from up the hill in a bucket . I remember the old man who use to come by daily with his donkey selling firewood so my mom could cook our food and keep us warm at night . Even tho we had the green cards we still stayed in Mexico till I was old enough to go to kindergarten .
    Jedi.................I grew up in El Paso, Texas and I know of what you speak.
    I am happy you are with us and enjoying life.............especially the drumming.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Jedi.................I grew up in El Paso, Texas and I know of what you speak.
    I am happy you are with us and enjoying life.............especially the drumming.
    Thank You Ricardo !
    I am grateful to be here , never take it for granted .
    Proud to be an American .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I am grateful to be here , never take it for granted .
    Proud to be an American .
    Rudy .
    That is 100% awesomeness. Out of curiosity, how far south of the border was home? What's that area like now? Is it one of the danger zones?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Here's a couple unknown facts;

I have a somewhat rare dental transposition. My right incisor tooth is right next to my front tooth. The eye tooth (small tooth normally beside the front tooth) is where my incisor should be. The dentist ground them to look normal when I was a kid. Otherwise, I'd look like a vampire, LOL.

I live about 35 miles from where my great-great-grandparents homesteaded when they immigrated from Switzerland back in the early 1800's. They lived in a cave along a creek the first year they settled. I can trace my family heritage back to the early 1700's in Switzerland. Thats somewhat rare, considering the immigration and destruction of church records during the World Wars in Europe.
    -Brian