Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us something about yourself that we didn't know.

User Info Menu

Default Tell us something about yourself that we didn't know.

I got to thinking about this yesterday because I saw an article about stars that were in certain shows or movies back in the 80's and it left you thinking, "I didn't know that!"

So, what is it about you or something you've done in your life that would make us say the same thing. It doesn't have to be big but thought it would be interesting to learn some new things about some of the members here (it doesn't have to be music or drum related).

I'll go first:
    I saw the Apollo 11 take off at Cape Canaveral, Florida. I was just across the field with binoculars, news cameras all around, etc. (Yea, I'm one of the old guys in here )

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tell us something about yourself that we didn't know.

I was involved in the process and patent for turning slaughter house waste into a renewable fuel.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I supervised a print department making Styrofoam cups that had reached record production. Printed over a million cups in that shift.

User Info Menu

I don't like chicken. I only wear plain crew length grey socks with no stripes. They don't show dirt and stains, I can wear them In any application (be it jeans with sneakers or khakis with leather dress shoes) and since they all match, it makes folding laundry easy. Plus, if I lose one sock I can still wear the orphan sock with any of the others.

I could SWEAR we had this same thread about a year ago......
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm a chocoblondeholic. Been to rehab several times, it never helped.

Might as well come out of the closet now and admit it. I'm a lesbian.

It's tough hiding something that has been in plain view for over 50+ years.

Oddly, it never bothered any lady I was in a relationship with. Never could figure out why that was.

I feel like a load was just lifted off my shoulders. I wish it was a blonde with a bag of Hershey's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Ha-ha! I love it!

User Info Menu

I am partially blind in my right eye because of a cat.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Almost drown at 4 years old. I fell in a swimming pool and couldn't swim. My brother couldn't swim neither and ran out front yelling. 2 teenage neighbors came pulled me out and performed CPR. The lady that was "babysitting" us finally called the fire department. I was transported to the hospital and stayed in there for 2 weeks. All I remember is falling in and waking up in the hospital. To this day I still do not swim or do any aquatic sports. When I take a shower I can't rinse my head facing the shower head, I have to do it reversed.

User Info Menu

I'm a pilot. Got my license when I was 19.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm a chocoblondeholic. Been to rehab several times, it never helped.

It's tough hiding something that has been in plain view for over 50+ years.

Oddly, it never bothered any lady I was in a relationship with. Never could figure out why that was.

I feel like a load was just lifted off my shoulders. I wish it was a blonde with a bag of Hershey's.
    Hahahaha that explains why your marriages never lasted . A lesbian I knew there was something odd about you.

User Info Menu

Most days I look at my life and feel like I'm a duck on water...

On the surface from what people see I'm cool calm and collective just floating across the water...

but underneath the water I'm kicking to stay a float.

Oh and I have an OCD problem... but I think we all know that hahaha

User Info Menu

During the 70s I was a roadie employed by SHOWCO SOUND, Dallas, Texas.

Tours I worked:

Grand Funk
    Richard Harris
    Three Dog Night
    Leon Russell
    Uriah Heep
    Blue Oyster Cult
    The Beach Boys
    The Carpenters
    Alice Cooper
    ZZ Top
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have three brothers and six sisters. I'm the third youngest (22).

I'm pretty tall (6'5") and wear a size 15/2E shoe. And you know what they say about a guy with big feet...

He has real problems finding shoes he likes.

If I could have any superpower, it would be the ability to speak and write every single language that exists, has existed, and will exist. Bit ironic because I'm very introverted and have terrible social anxiety.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Man, these are great stories guys!

User Info Menu

I have been employed by the same company for 27 years. I started when I was 18 working on the loading dock and have been through a bunch of departments along the way. I am now 45, and have spent more than 1/2 my life here. I am also the longest employed person in the entire company.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    Almost drown at 4 years old. I fell in a swimming pool neighbors came pulled me out and performed CPR.
    Interesting.

I performed CPR on a 4-year old child when I was only 16. Sadly...it did not survive.

I actually posted it here in this thread.....but then deleted it/changed it about 3 minutes after I submitted the post.

It's a difficult thing to talk about....and one of the worst days of my life.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I was on a boat that sank. It wasn't much fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Interesting.

I performed CPR on a 4-year old child when I was only 16. Sadly...it did not survive.

I actually posted it here in this thread.....but then deleted it/changed it about 3 minutes after I submitted the post.

Sorry to hear man.... That would be unimaginable

User Info Menu

English is not my first language. My parents and grandparents only spoke German. I learned English when I was about in 2nd grade. Now, I have forgotten quite a bit of it but, if someone is speaking it, I can usually understand what they are saying.

I've been with my second wife for 12 years and we have never argued or had a fight.

I'm an avid motorcycle fanatic and have owned at least 30 motorcycles since I was 16 years old.

I learned to drive and was driving a truck on a dairy farm when I was 12 years old.

I'm also OCD like Spaz, except I spell it CDO. LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Interesting.

Imagine if you had not even tried. You're a hero in my book.

User Info Menu

Imagine if you had not even tried. You're a hero in my book.
    Mine too.

Another thing about me, sort of along these same lines. And it's a bit of a sad story....

Back when I was in my late 20's, I had a younger friend who roofed houses for a living. He had an employee that was a 17 year old kid who was homeless and was living in his work van. The kid asked me if it was alright to park in my driveway at night. I got to know him pretty well and I told him he could stay in one of my guest rooms( I was living in a 5BR house by myself, so I had plenty of room). He lived with me for several years and I became like a step parent to him. He and I started working on a project car together and things couldn't have been better until one day, he fell off a roof and was layed up for several weeks and he got way behind on his bills. He was becoming very depressed.

Here's the really sad part....

I came home from work one day and as I walked in the door, my carbon monoxide detectors were going off. I had no idea what was going on. I went out to the garage(garage was attached to the house) and I heard his car running. I immediately opened the garage door and was confused why his car was running. I opened the car door and their he was. I dragged him outside and started CPR. He didn't make it.

It's been almost 25 years and I still miss him very much. OK, I just teared up again.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Mine too.

Another thing about me, sort of along these same lines. And it's a bit of a sad story....

Back when I was in my late 20's, I had a younger friend who roofed houses for a living. He had an employee that was a 17 year old kid who was homeless and was living in his work van. The kid asked me if it was alright to park in my driveway at night. I got to know him pretty well and I told him he could stay in one of my guest rooms( I was living in a 5BR house by myself, so I had plenty of room). He lived with me for several years and I became like a step parent to him. He and I started working on a project car together and things couldn't have been better until one day, he fell off a roof and was layed up for several weeks and he got way behind on his bills. He was becoming very depressed.

Here's the really sad part....

I came home from work one day and as I walked in the door, my carbon monoxide detectors were going off. I had no idea what was going on. I went out to the garage(garage was attached to the house) and I heard his car running. I immediately opened the garage door and was confused why his car was running. I opened the car door and their he was. I dragged him outside and started CPR. He didn't make it.

It's been almost 25 years and I still miss him very much. OK, I just teared up again.
    It was really nice of you to help that guy Mark.

User Info Menu

I found out 2yrs ago that my oldest brother and my mom claim to have had a close encounter (together at the same time) with a UFO in a field about 150yds from our house back in the mid-70's. Shortly after, my sister told me she thinks she and possibly my brother were abducted by a UFO when they were kids. We never talk about it (just the one time) and I'm not sure what to think. My sister has an extremely high IQ (thus can be a little but of a "progressive thinker" at times), but my brother and mom are pretty firmly planted in reality.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I was the first guy in the City of Toronto to own a Smart Car!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I found out 2yrs ago that my oldest brother and my mom claim to have had a close encounter (together at the same time) with a UFO in a field about 150yds from our house back in the mid-70's. Shortly after, my sister told me she thinks she and possibly my brother were abducted by a UFO when they were kids. We never talk about it (just the one time) and I'm not sure what to think. My sister has an extremely high IQ (thus can be a little but of a "progressive thinker" at times), but my brother and mom are pretty firmly planted in reality.
    Damn! That's crazy! Maybe it really happened. Fascinating stuff!