Thread: Sabian SR2 series

User Info Menu

Default Sabian SR2 series

Anyone have any experience with these? I know they are reconditioned B20 cymbals from the AAX/HHX lines etc. I am looking to replace my hi hats as they are Zildjian ZBT that sound pretty bad. I listened to some sound files from Memphis Drum Shop on the SR2 series and they sounded pretty good and the price seemed very fair (around $170 for 14" thin/heavy). If any of you have used this line could you let me know your experiences? Thanks!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian SR2 series

I have never had or heard of the SR2's. Anything is better than ZBT's. Had the whole set and hated them but it was my first, so yes definetly go for the SR2's as the price sounds fair.

User Info Menu

Every one is unique, so you need to order from a place with sound samples or buy in person. But yes, I have owned many and they are an excellent value. I had an SR2 ride that was formerly an HHX Evolution, and several other HH and HHX models too. You won't know exactly what cymbal it used to be most of the time but you can do some guesswork.

User Info Menu

I can't get past the disc grinder finish.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I can't get past the disc grinder finish.
    I know, but the wallet likes the reduced price. As I am just starting out I want to get a better sounding pair of hats without dropping a ton.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    I know, but the wallet likes the reduced price. As I am just starting out I want to get a better sounding pair of hats without dropping a ton.
    Maybe you should also consider a pair of Chinese B20 hats from Dream, Wuhan or Stagg?

If you can find a store that stocks them you may find a pair you like, I would be hesitant to buy them without listening first though as they can be hit and miss.

User Info Menu

Kasza cymbals are also made in China and apparently they actually do have quality control and all cymbals are sound tested first. I had a 14" set of F Series hi-hats and they were outstanding...ordered them online without hearing them too.

User Info Menu

I have an SR2 16" crash and love it. No experience with the hats though.

User Info Menu

interesting. didn't know about these. But I can definitely see now why its important to try each of them before you buy.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I own the following SR2 cymbals:

18" SR2 Thin (a great crash-ride, only paid $100 for it)
    15" SR2 Thin
    14" SR2 Hats (medium top, heavy bottom)

To me they are just as good as Sabian AA, AAX, etc. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army