Thread: Practicing stick control

User Info Menu

Default Practicing stick control

Either every morning or at night before I go to bed .I practice 5 mins. on stick control and then 5 mins. on doubles and paradiddles. I am ready to start using my skills around the set. Just need to find the video's on doing doubles and paradiddles on the set. Question: how often to you practice and what do you practice on? Oh by the way I practice on my practice pad.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practicing stick control

That's good. Keep that up.

How often do I practice? Not nearly enough as I should.

What do I practice on? Two pads... one for sticking and one for kick pedals. On the weekends, I practice on my kit at band practice.

But yeah, I definitely don't do it enough through the week.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Gregg, a good place to start is to just take like a paradiddle and put the single strokes on the toms while leaving the doubles on the snare. You'll get quite a bit out of that concept alone.

User Info Menu

Good practice routine. As simple as that sounds, it will be very beneficial for you. Keep it up.

User Info Menu

I just started "Paradiddle Power, Increasing Your Technique On The Drumset With Paradiddles" by Ron Spagnardi. So far, it has given me a more control and coordination, but I am only on pg 16. Another book or two I strongly recommend :Rhythmic Patterns: Full Drum Set Studies for the Modern Drummer and Rudimental Patterns: Full Drum Set Studies for the Modern Drummer by Joe Cusatis
    Hope this may help.

User Info Menu

Great Thread.

How often: as often as I can, but I wish I could daily with rare breaks.
    How long: actually I should only 30 minutes but the last few days it was 45 minutes to 1h.
    What: First Page of Stick Control.
    What do I practice on: Practice Pad.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

I squeeze out 15 minute sessions on a pad a few times a week when I make the time. I like Stick Control and the 40 Rudiments chart. I work on tempos and dynamics a lot.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!