Thread: Practicing stick control

User Info Menu

Default Practicing stick control

Either every morning or at night before I go to bed .I practice 5 mins. on stick control and then 5 mins. on doubles and paradiddles. I am ready to start using my skills around the set. Just need to find the video's on doing doubles and paradiddles on the set. Question: how often to you practice and what do you practice on? Oh by the way I practice on my practice pad.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practicing stick control

That's good. Keep that up.

How often do I practice? Not nearly enough as I should.

What do I practice on? Two pads... one for sticking and one for kick pedals. On the weekends, I practice on my kit at band practice.

But yeah, I definitely don't do it enough through the week.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Gregg, a good place to start is to just take like a paradiddle and put the single strokes on the toms while leaving the doubles on the snare. You'll get quite a bit out of that concept alone.
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

Good practice routine. As simple as that sounds, it will be very beneficial for you. Keep it up.

User Info Menu

I just started "Paradiddle Power, Increasing Your Technique On The Drumset With Paradiddles" by Ron Spagnardi. So far, it has given me a more control and coordination, but I am only on pg 16. Another book or two I strongly recommend :Rhythmic Patterns: Full Drum Set Studies for the Modern Drummer and Rudimental Patterns: Full Drum Set Studies for the Modern Drummer by Joe Cusatis
    Hope this may help.

User Info Menu

Great Thread.

How often: as often as I can, but I wish I could daily with rare breaks.
    How long: actually I should only 30 minutes but the last few days it was 45 minutes to 1h.
    What: First Page of Stick Control.
    What do I practice on: Practice Pad.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

I squeeze out 15 minute sessions on a pad a few times a week when I make the time. I like Stick Control and the 40 Rudiments chart. I work on tempos and dynamics a lot.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!