Thread: Matched grip fulcrum?

User Info Menu

Default Matched grip fulcrum?

Okay, so this is my first post on here...

Basically, i've been playing for quite a while now, and i just noticed today that my matched grip fulcrums are not quite the same on both hands. In other words, my fulcrum naturally slips on my left hand further down to the butt end of the stick while playing, and this feels comfortable and hasn't caused me any problems so far... i practice rudiments every day to a metronome.

it's not so much a slipping/grip problem, it simply just doesn't feel as comfortable to hold the fulcrum as far up the stick as on my right hand. It's not a ridiculously big difference, maybe 2cm? I'm right handed by the way.

i only noticed this today as i picked up some new sticks that had writing/logos on them! Hope someone can give me some adivce :D Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Matched grip fulcrum?

2cm isn't even a inch. I wouldn't concern myself with it.

User Info Menu

I played many years professionally, most of the time my sticks were almost out of my hands, the butt was basically slapping the center of my palm. Terrible for technical rudimentary stuff, but for playing loud rock and even loud country, not much technical skill is needed. I play very comfortable and loose, flowing, and letting the sticks go was just a natural progression.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

honestly I try to keep my students hands the same but I also say that there's a natural advantage and disadvantage to each hand being ones strong and more coordinated. So with this being said they may not feel comfortable at the same so keep them close but keep them comfortable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    I played many years professionally, most of the time my sticks were almost out of my hands, the butt was basically slapping the center of my palm. Terrible for technical rudimentary stuff, but for playing loud rock and even loud country, not much technical skill is needed. I play very comfortable and loose, flowing, and letting the sticks go was just a natural progression.
    Same for me. Got my 1st kit in 1969 and always played that way. In recent yrs. I've been holding them a little farther up, and working on finger technique, and things like that. When I'm rockin out and not thinking about it, the end of my stick is in my palm, and I'm fine with that.