Thread: Can you expand a drumset later an get same finish ?

User Info Menu

Default Can you expand a drumset later an get same finish ?

Hello,

First time here. I don't know anything about drums but my son (13) has started playing and he is crazy about it (Seems like he is pretty gifted according to his teacher).

Anyway, we decided to ignore the noise and get him a acoustic drum set (he doesn't like electric, and we might as well buy something he will enjoy and play. We went around in stores and I looked on the web but I have questions

1) I would rather buy a better set with fewer components so he can complete later but seems like sets change pretty much every year (at least their finish). Is it possible to reorder old finish ? I went to a specialty store, I talked with the salesman. He explained that Ludwig sets (Keystone) made in US, you could reorder for a very long time (10 - 20 years or more). So we looked at sets and colors on catalog. When back home, I looked at the web and it was Keystone X with total different finishes already. So is it realistic to buy a more expensive and complete later or you buy what you need now then sell the whole set and buy another one ?

Another recommendation was PDP (concept). While my son is starting with Drum, he has already played 5 years of guitar and he is very enthusiastic about it so I would idk to buy something he will keep even if it is a little more up front. Generally I try to buy good quality items the first time and keep them very long but I am not sure what makes sense here.

Anything else I should know before buying a set ? Also looking at used ones.

Thanks for your input,
    Yves

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can you expand a drumset later an get same finish ?

If available, certainly you can buy add ons. Not very economical however as the prices on single drums are astronomical.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    If available, certainly you can buy add ons. Not very economical however as the prices on single drums are astronomical.
    Yeah pretty crazy how much single drums can cost.

My opinion would be to start with a great mid range kit like the PDP Concept maple. He can rearrange it and start it as a standard 5 piece and then add on more as he goes or start big off that bat as you can get the matching 7 piece for a great price. And if you do buy the 7 piece maybe only give him the 5 piece at first and hide the other two pieces and give them to him as gifts throughout the years haha.

I have two kits I've added on to and it's taken me a LONG time of searching and begging and forum hunting. I'm glad I'm a patient man as I've spent years doing this... not days or weeks. Ask the guys here!

User Info Menu

Sometimes you can get the same finish a year later...I wouldn't depend on it. Just get a 2 up, 1 down kit. That can be reconfigured to 1 up, 1 down at first, then 2 up later.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

You can do well going with SLIGHTLY used gear................it is a buyer's market out there in the used drum world.

These days, shells are a better value than ever before...............many makers provide good shells in the "mid-market" which are made in China and shipped to the USA with the well-known badges............. some of these shells are still made from American maple or birch and assembled elsewhere.
    They are a good value when buying new..............and even better when buying used.

Used drums are also a good value in the upper levels of quality shells as well.
    I would look for some that have clearly been well-maintained with some TLC.
    Avoid anything that looks like it has been mistreated.

You can get a good bang for your buck and possibly find a kit with more components without spending a ton of cash. Your son will learn about the drum market and all of the available shells while he learns more about drumming over the next few years................sometime down the road, he can do his own trading up as he sees fit.

Expecting the same finish to match an existing set can be risky...................most drum-makers will not guarantee a match.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 09-13-2016 at 07:54 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I agree. Trying to add matching drums to a kit "after-the-fact" is not feasible from a cost, availability or aesthetic perspective.

Here's the other thing; drum kits and set-ups are a very personal thing. Some of us play simple 4pc kits. Some play monster kits. Some like Birch, others Maple. Some like 26" bass drums, others like 20". The only guarantee is that he (like most of us) will change his preference numerous times as he progresses and probably own more than one kit anyway. My vote would be for a good mid-level, "made in China" kit from PDP, Gretsch, Pearl, Mapex or Ludwig. Go for a basic 5pc or 6pc kit and even if he doesn't use all the pieces right away, it will be flexible and easy to sell if/when he wants to upgrade.

These kits (if bought new) will not come with cymbals or hardware, so that will require additional cost. Cymbal choices are even more varied than drums in terms of materials, sizes, styles and cost.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Yes, some finishes are still available as add on but like some say very costly and the wait could be up to a year depending on finish and manufacturer. So it is better to get the right configuration and finish when you buy a new kit.

User Info Menu

If you get a fairly standard finish or wrap usually you can get new parts later. Some finishes on the cheaper sets will always be around.. think like midnight blue wrap, wine red wrap, white, black.. those kinds of finishes are almost always available. I'd say the more expensive lacquer finishes, while some are standard, they seem to swap out more.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for the eye opening comments. Looks like completing a set is not a good plan (if it happens great but don't count on it).

As mid level set or used one seems to be the reasonable choice. is PDP concept a good choice ? Other idea ?
    What about Keystone X (Ludwig) although I think that is more than mid level. Might not make sense for a teenager unless you know that he will like it for the next 20 years. (I just still like to buy made in USA, so may be a used one)

I will also look at used market. I think that would be the best solution but need to find the right one.

Thanks for the help,
    Yves

User Info Menu

I stand behind PDP... I truly love where this company has grown to. But with a company like DW behind you it's easy to understand.

If you went with the PDP you won't regret the investment.

User Info Menu

I like my PDP Concepts. I wouldn't be afraid of anything from Tama or Mapex either. I support the "buy American" sentiment, but with drums it's tough. True USA made drums are pretty much limited to the top-of-the-line segment. Otherwise, it's gonna be made in China.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I would recommend a mid-level set of PDPs, Ludwig, Mapex, etc. like others have suggested. You can get a 7-piece kit for about $1000 and, while not top-tier, they're still professional grade and good enough for most working musicians. If your son sticks with drums he'll spend the next $50,000 on cymbals and hardware, anyway. Heck, the actual drums will be the cheapest part of his kit.

User Info Menu

^^haha that's so true!

Drums are the cheap part... it's everything else!

User Info Menu

I agree with looking used. I got a beautiful set of Yamaha Stage Customs with all the hardware and cymbals, throne, and protective drum bags for much less than half what it would have cost new. The drums had been played 2-3 times max. There was one stick mark on the original heads! Used Yamaha, PDP, Mapex, Pearl Exports, Tama, etc. are a great way to go!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Lots of good used stuff out like mentioned 1/2 the price of new ones. I wanted to order a 10 tom for my MCX finished in Chestnut Fade lacquer and they wanted 600 and up to a year waiting time so I decided to live without it. Probably would of been cheaper if I would of bought it all at the same time cause 2 years later my finish was discontinued but available at special order only. Live and learn I guess.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-15-2016 at 09:51 AM.

User Info Menu

My daughter cut her teeth years ago on a Tama kit I bought used. 12-13-16-22 in what she called "a really pretty turquoise blue". We found out this color was only produced a couple of years but we were able to watch e-bay and over time, picked up a 10" and a 14" in the same color. Turned it into a really nice kit. She rarely used all 5 toms at once, but could mix-and-match to make the kit she wanted at any time.

Moral of the story - buy a brand and kit at a level where there is a lot of product out there and the used market will probably support finding additional shells later on.

User Info Menu

Go with wrapped drums especially regular solid colors.. The process is easier.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    I would recommend a mid-level set of PDPs, Ludwig, Mapex, etc. like others have suggested. You can get a 7-piece kit for about $1000 and, while not top-tier, they're still professional grade and good enough for most working musicians. If your son sticks with drums he'll spend the next $50,000 on cymbals and hardware, anyway. Heck, the actual drums will be the cheapest part of his kit.
    I second this. Getting a decent kit for 600-1000 is very feasible. They will tune up fine and sound fine for anything he's going to do until he's a professional touring drummer (and then he can afford his own). If you look used, or for deals, you can try to step him up to the Mapex Saturns or Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga's, the later of which are the best drums I've owned.

More importantly, don't skimp too much on cymbals. Stuff like the Zildjian ZBT or ZHT, in my opinion, just isn't worth it for like $350 when you can get something like a Zildjian A set for $700. There's a much more noticeable difference between higher and lower quality cymbals than there is between 700 and 1200 drums IMHO.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Thank you

so much great information, trying to process it all.
    So drums are the cheapest part of the set ? Holly C... i was thinking the opposite that it was the main part ! Lot to learn ! To be honest I haven't even looked at it yet neither the hardware (that too can be a brain teaser!).

I will try to either buy used for GC or if I buy new I know a small drum shop and seems they can help. They recommended PDP or Keystone but Ludwig Keystone is ~$1800 for 3 pieces so if that is the cheapest part, I rather go with the PDP. Probably more than enough for my son anyway (forget made in USA I guess)

I still am attracted by used though. I think it makes the most sense but I need to find a good set / good color. It is important that the set is attractive to the kid I think, so they like it and play more (not good for my ears though!)

Thanks again all
    Yves

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steveg View Post
    Thank you

so much great information, trying to process it all.

I still am attracted by used though. I think it makes the most sense but I need to find a good set / good color. It is important that the set is attractive to the kid I think, so they like it and play more (not good for my ears though!)

Thanks again all
    Yves

Yves.....................I sent you a PM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)