Thread: Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute

User Info Menu

Talking Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute

Picked up a 2002 Birch Custom Absolute snare drum in an amazing condition, 14x5.5, in the natural amber finish, for the price that couldn't buy you a dinner for 2. Gonna take it apart, wax the wood, polish all the hardware, (oh, it does have die cast hoops) and gonna put brand new Evans heads on them, some puresound wires, and then I'm gonna think If I should keep it, or sell it.

I did some research, and found they were made between 2002 and 2009, so it must be one of the first ones, Serial Number: QIY1138, but can't really find to much about them. Is there not a lot of demand for the Absolute series? Not really a Yamaha expert, so hope to get here some more information. Gimme some input guys. Thanks.
    Last edited by Pearldrummer; 09-13-2016 at 04:11 PM.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute

A lot of amazing Yamaha's slip under the radar in the used market. A lot of people not familiar with drums assume that Yamaha is a generic brand and will undervalue them without knowing.

The Japanese Yamaha stuff, like your new snare, is awesome. I have 3 Absolute kits, 2 maple and 1 birch and I love them all. They're some of the best drums ever made IMO and you can find killer deals like you just did on them.

I'm guessing your drum is a Nouveau with the hook lugs and aluminum die cast hoops?

On flea bay in good condition it should fetch between $350-400.

The stock wires and heads are good. Don't feel you need to change them just because they are factory. My favorite snare is a 14x5.5 MCA and I've been using the Yamaha snare side head and wires for years.

Post a pic if you can!

User Info Menu

And yes, looking at the serial number it looks like it was make in 2002., The Absolute series started around 1998 with the flanged hoops and small lugs and the Nouveau's with the die cast hoops and detachable lugs started around 2002.
    Last edited by Exotic Matter; 09-13-2016 at 05:39 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a 2007 BCAN kit. I didn't get the snare, because I had COB Rogers Dyna that I loved. Now I wish I'd gotten the snare. Enjoy you new snare.

User Info Menu

I ABSOLUTELY love all my Yamaha drums and products.
    I'm also fortunate that the music store I work for is Yamaha dealer.
    I love all our kits.