Thread: Wood hoops for jungle kit

User Info Menu

Default Wood hoops for jungle kit

Went on line and found my 16" maple wood drum hoop for my 16x16 bass drum. If everything goes alright I should be able to order them next month. I will have to finish them with lacquer and that's it. Put my gretsch catalina maple jungle kit together and start looking for a band. The plus side is that by building my own jungle kit I will save myself around $308.00. Jungle kits online are going for $389.00 and up. I will post pics. when I am finish.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wood hoops for jungle kit

Nice work!
    You'll have to post pics when all said and done.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wood hoops for jungle kit

Excellent! Don't forget; if you use wood hoops, you might need a head with a bass drum style ring (as opposed to a standard 16" tom head) as well as claw hooks and possibly new tension rods of a different length. Actual 16" bass drum heads are available from Evans, but more expensive and you need to specify if it's a "tom" head or "bass drum" head. Also, you may have to add spacers under the lugs and new longer lug screws in order for the tension rods to clear the thicker wood hoop. If you use a wood hoop on the batter side of a 16", you may also need to cut a notch in it to allow clearance for the drive chain on your pedal.

Not trying to discourage you...just make sure you have considered all aspects. I know money is tight and I want to make sure every penny counts! Honestly, (based on my experience having done this conversion), regular steel tom hoops work great. Actually better in my opinion. They are lighter, more compact (still fits in a 16" tom bag/case), they don't interfere with the pedal drive chain (because they don't stick out) and they don't require any additional parts or modifications. Plus, you can use regular tom heads, which are cheaper and easier to find.

Evans makes 16" heads especially for floor tom conversations. They offer an EMAD batter and an EQ reso head...both designed to use with steel tom heads. They sound great together, along with a 4" port hole positioned dead-center. They are pricey, but no more than 16" bass drum heads...and you don't need to buy anything else. Hope this helps.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham