Thread: Open Handed Drum Setup

User Info Menu

Default Open Handed Drum Setup

Would any of you who play open handed be willing to post a few pics of how your kits are set up for that style? I can't wrap my head around where everything should go. And thanks to everyone on this site! I've picked up so many great tips here already. Can't thank you all enough.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Open Handed Drum Setup

Simon Phillips plays open handed. His setup is exactly the same as any other kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Thanks. Reading some other posts it sounded like it was important to have the bass pedal, hats, and snare in a straight line. Maybe I misunderstood what they meant but it's had me scratching my head.

User Info Menu

To me, (being a lefty) when I say open hand it means my kit is still setup like a right handed kit but my left hand plays the hi-hat and my snare is played with my right hand. I playing like this a lot. I love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Simon Phillips plays open handed. His setup is exactly the same as any other kit.
    With one exception...................the ride cymbal is on the left.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

examples I post when this subject comes up...

User Info Menu

Simon Phillips also has his hats much lower than the average. Pretty much level with his snare. Allows his high toms to be much more accessible. This was why he switched to open handed in the first place. He saw another guy doing it, and the light went off in his head. So, he spent months forcing himself to switch his backbeat to his right hand. There's a video out there of him explaining this, but I don't have time right now to find it to post a link.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Simon Phillips also has his hats much lower than the average. Pretty much level with his snare. Allows his high toms to be much more accessible. This was why he switched to open handed in the first place. He saw another guy doing it, and the light went off in his head. So, he spent months forcing himself to switch his backbeat to his right hand. There's a video out there of him explaining this, but I don't have time right now to find it to post a link.

User Info Menu

Yup. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone! I've been trying to play like this the last couple days. Last night my wife thought it was my 8 yr old son playing my kit and came in to yell at him. In all fairness my son is pretty decent for his age but she did make me realize how far I have to go just to get to where I am right now. Is there any advantage to being able to play both ways or is it more of a pick what works for you and run with it?

User Info Menu

LOL Yea it's weird to suck again. Sounds like when I switched to double pedal.
    I think the advantage is in gaining limb independence and opening up new patterns and grooves. I wish I had started decades ago.
    That being said, millions of drummers are crossing their hands to play their hats every day, and have been for years and years. The number of recent open-handed players has increased by 10x's what it was just 10-15 years ago. Mostly due to Carter Beauford and Simon Phillips, IMHO. Before them, really just Billy Cobham comes to mind.
    Now I bet a bunch of you guys are going to school me on drummers who play open-handed that I am unaware of, I'm sure.
    Point is it's still just another choice among the infinite ways to play our instruments.
    As long as you are having fun, who cares.
    Rock on!*I applaud your bravery in taking on a new technique.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

I have been playing open handed for over fifty years. I am very left handed and right footed. Here is my Saturn V set. Peace and goodwill.
    100_0489.JPG

100_0490.jpg
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army