Thread: The House Kit................meh !

User Info Menu

Default The House Kit................meh !

My guitar player keeps booking us into a certain club in town that requires me to play the house kit..............we are in that club this coming weekend.
    Ordinarily, I wouldn't gripe too much about this situation..............
    I bring enough supplemental gear to make it tolerable................my throne, pedals, some cymbals, etc.
    The breakdown and load-out is the best part............I'm done in 20 minutes.

But this kit is some kind of Mapex (Storm, I think..............certainly not Saturn or Mars) that has single ply heads. Every time we go in there, I need to re-tune the kit.................you wonder of other drummers ever think about it.

The thing that makes it tough is the kit is sitting behind the dreaded plastic barrier and the set-up takes as long as if I brought my own stuff..............even after I give it my best effort in the set-up, the kit is just weird.................no room to work with at all.

The kit is just different enough to make the gig awkward..............I'll get through it OK...............but some of the tougher fills never satisfy because the shells are simply in a different place..............feels different and makes it not as much fun.

When we get to a gig wherein I'm using my own set and I have room to set it up like it needs to be set up, I play much better and I have more fun.

Anticipation rant complete.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: The House Kit................meh !

Nothing worse then when they MAKE you use a house kit.
    I like when they offer a house kit but don't make you use it.
    I'll scope it out first before I unload all my gear.

Good luck and that sucks!

User Info Menu

Power through it. You'll be fine.

User Info Menu

Been there, done that....argh! Sometimes I just don't even do my usual fills.
    Last edited by slinglander; 09-20-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I always feel SO much more comfortable on my own kit at a gig. That plastic shield probably isn't helping, either.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Playing the house kit is the most conveniently inconvenient situation!
    The last time I had to use the house kit at a gig the tom heads were beat to **** and surprisingly they sounded terrible, the kit was on a wood floor with no rug/carpet so everything walked as I played and between songs I'd have to scoot everything back in place and start all over!

Seeing as you know the kit sucks I'd say do what you can to make it suck the least! I'd personally take a cymbal stand tom mount so I could mount the rack tom off a cymbal stand like I've got on my kit, if the hardware sucks I'd bring 1-2 cymbal stands and a snare stand, I'd even consider bringing a set of used heads for the toms if time would allow swapping out the heads.
    The sound guy has a million other things to do and replacing the heads or even tuning up the house kit probably doesn't even cross his mind.

On the bright side at least you don't have to pack up your whole kit when it's time to get the **** out of there!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dudimentz View Post
    Playing the house kit is the most conveniently inconvenient situation!
    On the bright side at least you don't have to pack up your whole kit when it's time to get the **** out of there!!
    Bingo !

The set-up and playing some of the songs really sux...............while on some of the other songs, it really does not matter.
    The breakdown and departure are quick and happy.

Meanwhile, my guitar players bring all their own guitars, amps and rigs and wonder why in the World the drummer just doesn't love the gig ???
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I started a thread on how I hate using the house/backline kit . How I insist on using my own kit and don't mind at all the extra work it takes to do so . I do this for a living so yea...I'm all in .
    Well last June I gave in and used the house kit because it was at a college and we were only doing an hour . So i get there and it's a brand new Gretsch Ash Club kit STILL IN THE BOXES ! So I had to put it together . It had a 24" kick 13" , 16" toms and a 6 1/2x14" snare . Out of the box the tuning was spot on ! The snare was beautiful ... oh the crack on that thing ! However there was no muffling for the kick drum so I had to play it wide open . What I did was drop the tuning on the batter head and crank the reso head , bury the beater into the head and sounded great !
    That was the ONLY time I have been thrilled to use the house kit . Mostly ...I'm with you . I hate the house kit . But I will always bring my stuff and set it up even if I have to be there earlier than most and have to stay later than most .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I started a thread on how I hate using the house/backline kit . How I insist on using my own kit and don't mind at all the extra work it takes to do so . I do this for a living so yea...I'm all in .
    Well last June I gave in and used the house kit because it was at a college and we were only doing an hour . So i get there and it's a brand new Gretsch Ash Club kit STILL IN THE BOXES ! So I had to put it together . It had a 24" kick 13" , 16" toms and a 6 1/2x14" snare . Out of the box the tuning was spot on ! The snare was beautiful ... oh the crack on that thing ! However there was no muffling for the kick drum so I had to play it wide open . What I did was drop the tuning on the batter head and crank the reso head , bury the beater into the head and sounded great !
    That was the ONLY time I have been thrilled to use the house kit . Mostly ...I'm with you . I hate the house kit . But I will always bring my stuff and set it up even if I have to be there earlier than most and have to stay later than most .

That's the day you need to buy a lottery ticket cause that's the golden ticket of luck right there!

User Info Menu

As long as I can use my own cymbals, snare, and pedal, I will GLADLY use a house kit/share drumsets with other bands if at all possible. This heavily leans on the fact that I'm lazy/I can do without toms if need be, so it saves on loading and makes the sound guys happier :D . ...as long as the kick doesn't sound like poop. That said, I've run into some funny situations. The main one is most people don't usually play a 22" or 24" ride in their left side, so the cymbal is usually hanging over the top of the high Tom. Those are the gigs where the high Tom becomes a phone and stick holder
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

We played the gig last night...............house was not completely packed..............more like 3/4 full..........but we had a good spirited crowd.

I took more time during set-up and got the kit better for feel.............an inch here..........an inch there............you know.
    But as usual, still not totally comfortable.

We had 8 new songs on the set list last night and they went over well with the crowd................however, one of those new songs was not as well received.
    It is a slow song and the crowd was not wanting to hear slow songs.

Next gig is in the best club in town: great sound and lights.............roomy stage...........I use my gear...........best pay in town...........mo better !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Glad you had a good gig in the end.
    I hear you about the ballads. Sometimes you just have to know when to skip to the next upbeat number.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I remember in the Army there was a drumset at the recreation center in a soundproof booth. It sucked but was enough to at least kind of play along to my walkman. Really dating myself now aren't I. It was 1988. I'd bring cassettes RATT, David Lee Roth Eat Em N Smile and Skyscraper were good ones, Aerosmith etc.

I'd bring these Sabian HH cymbals I bought with me, get in the booth, adjust everything and turn the light off. The booth had a glass front and didn't really like people watching. They probably thought I was a weirdo.

Ft. Ord, CA (Planet Ord). It got that name from the thick fog that would come in all the time without warning. miss that place, good time in my life.
    Last edited by slinky; 09-26-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I remember in the Army there was a drumset at the recreation center in a soundproof booth. It sucked but was enough to at least kind of play along to my walkman. Really dating myself now aren't I. It was 1988. I'd bring cassettes RATT, David Lee Roth Eat Em N Smile and Skyscraper were good ones, Aerosmith etc.

I'd bring these Sabian HH cymbals I bought with me, get in the booth, adjust everything and turn the light off. The booth had a glass front and didn't really like people watching. They probably thought I was a weirdo.

Ft. Ord, CA (Planet Ord). It got that name from the thick fog that would come in all the time without warning. miss that place, good time in my life.
    Funny I found like 3 walkmans when unpacking at the new house a couple of weeks ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I remember in the Army there was a drumset at the recreation center in a soundproof booth. It sucked but was enough to at least kind of play along to my walkman.
    When I was in music school we had four soundproof drum-closets like that.
    Each one had a Sonor bop kit and a cassette player with headphones.

There was also five piano practice rooms and a number of others where you brought in your own rig; i.e., horn, guitar, violin, whatever. There was also one organ practice room that had a really nice cathedral organ installed.........I bet I've heard Toccata and Fugue in D Minor 100 times.

Good days, for sure.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian