Thread: Roland HPD-10 (Hand Sonic 10)

User Info Menu

Cool Roland HPD-10 (Hand Sonic 10)

As I mentioned in a previous review, I am an old-school conguero. I still cringe when I hear electronic percussive breaks in early-70s music, TV and movies...the early electronic drums were as similar to acoustic congas and bongos as that aerosol cheese in a can is to aged Cheddar.

But, being basically nosy and having heard many things about Roland percussion from drum_chick and other DrumChat members, I heard someone playing the HPD-10 during a recent stopoff at a Guitar Center, and...you guessed it...I had to try it.

Roland describes the HPD-10 (aka HandSonic 10) as "more affordable and streamlined" than the original HandSonic. More streamlined? Definitely. The whole unit, which can be mounted on a stand or rack, is only a bit larger than the head and rim of an 11 3/4" LP acoustic conga. More affordable? At the price shown ($699 at Guitar Center on the day I played it), it's debatable.

The working surface features 10 individual pads; five of them make up an area the size of a 10" conga head and the other five are arranged in a row at the top (picture a woman's wedding band with a row of diamonds and you have the idea). An LCD screen shows which of the 400 sounds and patterns are available (and as you touch each pad, it darkens and shows the sound you're playing, such as "Hi Conga Open" or "Lo Conga Slap").

I thought I was a hard-pounding hand-slammer, but I soon discovered that I wasn't strong enough for the HandSonic 10. When I played the pads with my hands as I would an acoustic conga, I didn't hit the pads hard enough to trigger them. every time. I tried tapping them with my fingers the way you would play a piano and the results were only slightly better. I finally got the sound I wanted when (horrors!) I played them with sticks, drum-set style. (Of course, if you're playing them drumline style, that's cool.)

Having said that, however, the HandSonic10 makes a good addition to a conventional drum kit. Each of the round pads--in bongo and conga modes, at least--can re-create open, muffled and closed tones on large and small drums. Hit the edge of the pads, and you get the slaps and rimshots you expect--and they don't sound too bad, either. The pads on the outside provide such effects as maracas, vibra-slap, cowbell, and claves.

One feature I tried--and loved--is the D-Beam controller, which enables you to bend the pitch and get that "dooooOOOOO" effect that guys like 1DrumBum and I have worked on for years! There are other features for backing rhythm and metronome, neither of which I was able to try during my visit.

While I have seen some hand percussionists play the HandSonic10 with hands, the HandSonic 10 is better suited as an adjunct to a conventional acoustic drum kit or--Roland players take note!--a cool addition to your existing equipment.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Check this

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...x?ObjectId=765
    and go to the video demos

I think there is a way to adjust the sensativity of the triggers so you can play the way you want.
    That is the trick to all the roland drums I have owned; get the triggers twicked to your liking and it is great!! And it takes lots of time to learn all the if ands and buts But it gets easier as you learn and then changing the settings is no longer a problem so within a few seconds you can dial up what you want or need !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Roland HPD-10 (HandSonic 10)

Hey, 2slow, I'm glad you clarified that point...as I posted in the Shoutbox earlier today, I played the one I tested as it was set, where it was set, and wasn't aware of the adjustments you can make. Having said that, however, my revised final assessment is: It's a good adjunct to a regular drum kit and, with a few tweaks, it's a good substitute for acoustic congas and bongos if space is tight!

Thanks, bro'!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Thanks for that, BB, I've been looking at getting one of these kits for a while, they sound really good.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland HPD-10 (Hand Sonic 10)

I now have one of these and EVERYTHING is adjustable to the users liking. And by the way I love it. I however would not recommend playing it with sticks. I would be afraid that it could damage the (very sensitive) pads. At least thats they way mine are. Im using mine as an addition to my kit bbro. A great observation bro.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Roland HPD-10 (Hand Sonic 10)

Hey, cdaug! Good to hear from ya, man! Haven't forgotten ya--ironically, I was in your stompin' grounds this past weekend--but workin' to get enough money put back to buy my cajon from ya!

You're right about the pads...and I'm glad you clarified that the sensitivity is adjustable (as I learned later). I don't like playing any hand drum with sticks and if you hammer the pads with sticks, you can tear them up very easily (as in damage, not as in rockin' the drums).

Keep the beat goin', bro'!

Charlie

User Info Menu

the one i played was a ton of fun. it's pretty far down the wish list but i would have it if i could. it would be great on the kit. if i was a full time aux. perc. guy i would have to go traditional accoustic drums all the way. i have a bunch of perc gear i bring to open jams i host, but have never had the op to be strictly aux. perc. on a gig playing with a kit drummer.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Roland HPD-10 (Hand Sonic 10)

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    the one i played was a ton of fun. it's pretty far down the wish list but i would have it if i could. it would be great on the kit. if i was a full time aux. perc. guy i would have to go traditional accoustic drums all the way. i have a bunch of perc gear i bring to open jams i host, but have never had the op to be strictly aux. perc. on a gig playing with a kit drummer.
    Makes two of us, funkster! Must admit the Roland is a good space-saver, but I'm acoustic all the way when I'm rockin' the congas...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Does anyone have any more experience with the Handsonic as posts were back on 2009. I'm curiously interested and may consider buying one but I want to know how practical they are first.
    LP Performer Quinto, Conga, Tumba & Remo Nuskyn Heads
    Remo 14" djembe
    Zildjian 14" ZHT High Hats
    Sabian 13"AA El Sabor Salsa Splash
    Cajon
    LP Performer Series Bongos
    TreeWorks chimes