Thread: Pawn shop and Craigslist finds good deal?

User Info Menu

Default Pawn shop and Craigslist finds good deal?

So, went to a pawn shop to buy myself a cheap bass for my birthday

And found these: They were asking $149 for them and $150 for the bass. So I talked them down to $150 for both, about $50 for the hi-hats and $100 for the bass, give or take $5 either way.

Also bought this 18" Zildjian crash for $80 incl a stand: Don't know much about it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pawn shop and Craigslist finds good deal?

man my local pawn shops all suck! Nice negotiating

User Info Menu

Sorry about the size of the pix!

prior to that I also bought a 20" XS20 ride off Craigslist for $65. Guy drove a pretty hard bargain on that one, but the 18" CB700 (Taiwan) crash/ride wasn't going to cut it. (Although it seemed to improve in sound after I cleaned a significant layer of grime off it.)

The Zildjian is supposed to be a present in a few months. Otherwise, by happenstance the kit is all Sabian, with a 16" B8 crash. So I'm looking out for an XS20 to round it all out.

(This is all for the offspring who's taking lessons, but I practice at the same time ;-D)

Thanks to everyone on the forum here, I culled through threads to get a sense of quality vs price.

BackStreetDrums Guest

In Atlanta, there is a pawn shop which sells nothing but musical instruments and a separate building with all pre-owned audio equipment...from cables to concert hall audio boards and speakers.

The instrument store has been a gold mine for stands and 2nd hand snares. I drop in whenever in the area. You never know what you will stumble upon, or who sold what recently, for some quick cash.
    I have also sold some unwanted stands to them..neat place, been in business at the same location since early 70's when Atlanta was in its infancy as a rock n roll hot bed

User Info Menu

I can't resist a good pawnshop or used equipment store. Whenever I see one, I find myself popping in. Have found some great deals over the years.

all the best...

User Info Menu

There are 3 pawn shops in my area and every time I go by them I get pissed off cause I know most of the stuff they have is either hot or have been taken advantage of drunks or drug addicts. I am a very honest person and do not support those kind of businesses but some do. Just sayin.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-30-2016 at 07:42 AM.

User Info Menu

I never go into the local pawn shops. They almost always want way too much and the stuff is usually pretty beat up. I try to stop in at the local Music-Go-Round at least every few weeks. Most of my stuff came from there. Their prices are right where they should be for broke musicians. They clearly state any flaws or defects and price accordingly. They usually have a large selection of stuff I use, from complete kits to parts and pieces, clamps, stands, mounts, etc.. It really helps support the local musician community.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Pawn shops out here will take items in but they are checked first to make sure they aren't stolen. I'm pretty sure that gee-tar center does the same thing. All I know is that the pawn shops won't even put items on the floor for sale until they have been thoroughly checked with law enforcement.

It's too bad there are pawn shops out there in the world that do business like that.....

Besides, the pawn shops out here are way too expensive. Might as well buy privately or go and buy them new.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

BackStreetDrums Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Pawn shops out here will take items in but they are checked first to make sure they aren't stolen. I'm pretty sure that gee-tar center does the same thing. All I know is that the pawn shops won't even put items on the floor for sale until they have been thoroughly checked with law enforcement.

It's too bad there are pawn shops out there in the world that do business like that.....

Besides, the pawn shops out here are way too expensive. Might as well buy privately or go and buy them new.
    I agree. The Music Pawn Shop I mentioned in my above reply, takes your picture and fingerprint when you sell something to them. They keep it on file for a year. This prevents thieves from coming in to pawn stolen goods.

User Info Menu

Due to the local gypsy population, there are a bunch of pawn shops around, but for 1-2 drum items they might have I give them a pass...

Once when I was back visiting, I was to meet this guy from CL to try out a cymbal, but he was very weird about it, assuming I would just buy it without testing and he wanted to meet at a shopping mall, even tho I was very clear I wanted to test it first...Over here I've had a very good experience buying and selling used stuff via a czech site...

User Info Menu

Recently bought a used Sonor 2001 5pc kit from CL with all the stands, cheap pedal cheap cymbals for $160, turned around and traded sold it for $300 cash plus a alesis dm 10 e-kit with pearl mesh pads. I then sold that e-kit for $350 cash plus 2 slingerland vintage marching toms (18" and 14") that are not worth much but I can dump em easily enough for $50.

I also bought a 4pc Premier Elite drum set in black sparkle lacquer for $650 off of Amazon. The prices have since all been corected back to $3500.. Been a good few months to say the least
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO