Thread: Holding the drum sticks

User Info Menu

Default Holding the drum sticks

I was holding my drum sticks more towards the end and playing. Something just didn't feel quiet right. So I watched a drum video of Steve Smith on how to hold the sticks to get a better bounce. I tried it tonight and it works a lot better holding the sticks more towards the middle. I think once I get use to it I will play a lot better and maybe more relaxed. So how do you hold your drum sticks?

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Holding the drum sticks

French grip. I've gotten used to holding my sticks by the ends. They slide up and I end up barely holding on to them.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

When I took private drum lesson's I was always taught the traditional grip.

User Info Menu

I try to hold my sticks in the correct position but when I'm playing and I'm on fire going wild I get really close to the end of the stick.

I'll keep chocking up but I hold the sticks really far back when I'm really playing.

But when I'm teaching and just goofing around I'm where it needs to be. About a thumbs length from the bottom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy79 View Post
    So how do you hold your drum sticks?
    Keep drumming
    Gregg
    I hold my sticks with my hands.

Actually I have an American grip, but I'm working on loosening my grip for more articulation and a less choked sound.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I have a terrible grip. The butt of the stick is actually in my palm

I don't know how or when it happened but the sticks seem to have slid forward as far as they can go. Maybe I need longer sticks

User Info Menu

http://store.drumbum.com/skuSTK-25.html

Here you go guys what grip would you use with these?.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    I have a terrible grip. The butt of the stick is actually in my palm

I don't know how or when it happened but the sticks seem to have slid forward as far as they can go. Maybe I need longer sticks
    Actually, that (being able to have 'more stick' beyond or extending past my palm) is why I wanted to try the almost 18" Alex Van Halen sticks. They are THE extreme example of long sticks, and they are actually too long (for my purpose, anyway). You may want to give the Pro-Mark Super Rock (16 3/4" long and .590" diameter) or the Steve Ferrone (16 13/16" long and .579" diameter) sticks a try. I really like the Super Rock sticks, but they are a bit hefty. I've not tried the Ferrones myself, but now that I've noted them, I may need to give them a try. I've tended to want thicker sticks, but maybe I'd do better with slightly less heavy ones.
    Last edited by cabasner; 09-25-2016 at 12:33 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

The heavier the stick, the worse your cymbals will sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    French grip. I've gotten used to holding my sticks by the ends. They slide up and I end up barely holding on to them.

French, German, American, Traditional or matched, they all have applications. Be prepared to go from one to the other depending on the situation. That being said, NEVER allow the butt of the stick to be under the arm, but, instead, be from the first knuckle to outside the palm.