Thread: Yamaha recording custom or Gretsch Broadcasters

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha recording custom or Gretsch Broadcasters

I'm about to purchase a new kit and I "think" I've narrowed it down to Yamaha recording customs or Gretsch Broadcasters. Anybody out there have experience with either of these kits or preferably both maybe? Pros Cons? Thanks everybody
    BillyH

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha recording custom or Gretsch Broadcasters

Quote Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
    I'm about to purchase a new kit and I "think" I've narrowed it down to Yamaha recording customs or Gretsch Broadcasters. Anybody out there have experience with either of these kits or preferably both maybe? Pros Cons? Thanks everybody
    BillyH
    I'm gonna say Gretsch but only because I've had the same Gretsch USA custom drums since 1983 and I love em.

I'm sure some Yamaha guys will respond as well with their reason for going that way.

Either way...killer drums!

all the best...

User Info Menu

2 Completely different kits, Broadcaster is Maple poplar and the RC is Birch. Big enough sound, build, and color differences there to make a decision on your own IMO. The only responses your gonna get are Gretsch from Gretsch guys and Yamaha from Yamaha guys. Which are really going to be no help to you at all.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Both are sweet kits....just depends on the sound you're looking for. The RC's will have the fundamental Birch qualities. Bright, punchy and a more contemporary sound. The Broadcasters will give you that vintage, warm sound associated with the maple/poplar shells and vintage style bearing edge profiles. Both are excellent drums....but two different styles of sound.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

From a DW player, I recommend the RC. I'm not a fan of hybrid shells or 30 degree edges, so the Gretsch is a "not for me" kit. I've listened to a new RC and it is truly impressive.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I own a Yamaha Maple custom and I've recorded on it numerous times.

Truly the biggest thing I can say is you need to do and buy what feels right to you.
    I've never owned a Gretsch kit but I've played on in college.
    Would I trade my Yamaha's for it? Not in a million years...
    But it was a great kit and sounded great. I just love my Yamis.