Thread: weather conditions for cymbals? help please

User Info Menu

Smile weather conditions for cymbals? help please

Hey guys! I just have a question. I recently setup my garage with a drum riser and stuff, and put all of my drums in the garage. I live in Hillsboro, OR and its getting really cold now. I was wondering if really cold temperatures will harm my cymbals/drums/heads/hardware. thanks for the help guys.

ps - if there is any weather condition or setting that you know of that will harm my equipment, can you list that as well?

User Info Menu

Your cymbals should be fine in the cold weather as long as you don't play them, they won't crack. Blessings.........

User Info Menu

BTW.......you're new around here IC...........welcome. I lived in Hermiston Oregon for quite awhile. You know where that's at? I also have family in Keiser. Blessings.......

User Info Menu

I don't think it would harm the cymabls or hardware but depending on the type of wood your drums are made out of it could harm them. any extreme temperature shifts within a short period of time can present a potential problem to drum shells and their finishes. As humidity and temperature change, the moisture content within the cells of the wood is affected. This can make the shells expand or contract, warp or even crack. A general rule of thumb is keep your shells with you, if you are confortable they are confortable.

Also keep in mind that maple wood vs birch tends to be a little more temperamental IMO
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3817&dateline=1195493  851