Thread: Yamaha 562k or Roland TD25

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha 562k or Roland TD25

Hi guys,

I am a beginner and I am looking for an ekit which i can use to start learning how to play drums. I have narrowed down my list into the two i mentioned but I am still torn. Can you guys let me know what you think of these two kits?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha 562k or Roland TD25

Hi there, and welcome!

I don't own either of these, but I know they are both excellent choices, especially for a beginner (once you get yours, post for some great advice on how to get good quickly!).

In the end, the major difference between these two are the drums. Roland uses a mesh "head" while Yammy uses a foam. Primarily, it comes down to which feels better for you. Personally, I find the mesh too bouncy. Others find the foam not bouncy enough.

Objectively speaking, it is better to build your abilities on a surface that is less responsive (ie foam). Imagine if you had to run a race, and you trained by wearing a heavy back pack. Of course, once you run the actual race, it will be easier. It's the same concept here. Mesh would be like training on a planet with slightly less gravity. The mesh is be closer to playing an actual kit, so if hitting a drum is 0, mesh would be +3 and foam -5.

Good luck, and let us know what you choose.

Welcome to DC!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I have the 562K and like it very much. I've played the Roland and don't like the mesh as much as the Yamaha heads. Both are good so personal preference is going to be important. Recently added Zildjian Gen16 cymbals to my ekit. I like them alot more than the e cymbals. good luck

User Info Menu

i would save a little more for a td25kv

User Info Menu

Would love to get the Gen16s, but just can't justify buying them :(

User Info Menu

yamaha is a better value. roland kills it in the top top end kits though. for everything else, i'd go yamaha
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

TD25 module is new, Yamaha 520 is 5-6 years old (if that matters to you).

Pricewise the 2 kits are basically the same price range $1800-$2000 so it comes down to taste. If you go with the TD25, get at least the TD25K so you get the real style hi-hat. Definitely worth it (on Yamaha or Roland). I bought a TD25K, sold the smaller PDX6 and 8 pads which basically paid for 3 PDX100 pads to make it a TD25KV at virtually no extra cost. Full disclosure I already had an extra Yamaha crash leftover from another e-kit that I use as a 2nd crash. Yamaha cymbals as crashes work fine with Roland, so they are a good budget option to add cymbals.

There's also the new Alesis Strike kit people are talking about which is a few hundred less for all mesh pads (8/10/12/12 plus kick), real style hi-hat, etc... with wood shells (which are quieter than plastic BTW). If you could try those at a store, they might be worth a look.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Ive been playing a DTX-532 for several years, both as a gigging kit and for church and the DTX-502 module, for the price is an excellent module and with a bit of tweaking, my E-kit sounds like my Yamaha Oak Customs fully mic'd and running thru the mixing board. The head response is more lively than an acoustic kit but then for me, thats not an issue. What is an issue is "does it sound good"? and Yes, it sounds marvelous. Here is one of our Praise and Worship songs with me playing my Yamaha DTX-532 electronic kit.

Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

RossDrum Guest

I've try Roland Td25 one time and It was very cool!