Thread: OK what bass drum head do I want?

User Info Menu

Default OK what bass drum head do I want?

I've decided that I wan tto try a new batter head. I currently have an EMAD2 (clear) and though it's pretty good, I am thinking that double ply is creating some unwanted stiffness and there's more attack than I want (when I had the EQ patch on it was worse).

Again I am still a newb but I want more sensitivity out of the head. Added brightness would be OK if I don't lose depth/lows and I could live with a bit more sustain. I have a direct drive (double) pedal FWIW and the original reso is still on. The only other head I tried was the clear 1-ply that came with the kit which rang like crazy, didn't care for it at all.

Now I WAS going to go for EMAD 1-ply beacuse the foam rings add that flexibility, but I started looking at Evans' little diagrams showing attack/sustain/tone/durability. That made me consider other models.

I don't want to mess with internal dampening, that's why EMAD is attractive. Style-wise I want to sit right in between rock and jazz (if that makes sense!) just a responsive & musical sound limited only by my non-existant technique and low-level shells!

Thanks for your input!
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: OK what bass drum head do I want?

"Again I am still a newb but I want more sensitivity out of the head. Added brightness would be OK if I don't lose depth/lows and I could live with a bit more sustain".

"Now I WAS going to go for EMAD 1-ply beacuse the foam rings add that flexibility, but I started looking at Evans' little diagrams showing attack/sustain/tone/durability."

"I don't want to mess with internal dampening, that's why EMAD is attractive. Style-wise I want to sit right in between rock and jazz (if that makes sense!) just a responsive & musical sound limited only by my non-existant technique and low-level shells!".

Natman, with all due respect, do you really understand all of what you said about everything from the sensitivity part to added brightness but without losing depth/lows and some more sustain. You want it to sit between rock and jazz, but after looking at Evans diagrams that show you attack/sustain/tone/durability, you aren't sure of which head to buy.

I'm not exactly sure what attack is because over the years I've heard or read different drummers version of what attack means. One drummers sustain is another drummers thud. Tone is another thing that means different things to different people. Durability is the only thing that actually makes sense. Will it last or will I punch a hole in it in 2 weeks.

I've been at this for 60 years and it's only in the last 10-15 years that all these things have come up. Before that, you bought a head, tuned it , and played it. As for the BD, most of the drummers I've seen from decades ago, bought a head, put a piece of felt on the batter head, tuned the drum and played it.

I have a Remo something or other. I picked it by closing my eyes and dropping my finger down in the MF's catalogue, where it landed, that was the head I bought.

It has no muffling at all. No pillows, no holes in the reso head, no felt strip on the batter head, absolutely nothing.

If you think the EMAD is the head you want, buy it and tune it. You are going to have to play around with it, but that's a fact of life that drummers live with.

Now I'll wait and see what other opinions you get.

User Info Menu

I agree with Rick on this Natman. I am old school and to date I still only use PS3 1 ply drumhead, no port hole in my reso but do have a little cushion inside and it works fine for me. You hear Emad is like the miracle head or something but it isn't, just a money maker and just because some endorsed drummer uses it doesn't mean it is the one that everyone should get. Just sayin. You will learn with experience how to tune and get the sound you want with just a plain old head.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-29-2016 at 10:22 AM.

User Info Menu

I have an EMAD1 on 2 kits, an EMAD2 on another, a Remo CS (dot) on another kit, a coated Remo Power stroke on one kit and a clear Power stroke on yet another. I love the EMAD1 and the Powerstroke. I also prefer the single ply kick heads. You might also look at Aquarian SK1.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I use Evans EQ3 heads on my kick drum. I still have the stock reso head on the front. I use no muffling at all, the head has a sound control ring that eliminates overtones.

User Info Menu

i have tried a ton of heads and i always prefer a one ply head with little foam weatherstripping on the underside.
    so i tried the remo power stroke pro...
    on a 20" drum, it is just too thuddy in a rock band. In lower volume situation however it serves well.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "Again I am still a newb but I want more sensitivity out of the head. Added brightness would be OK if I don't lose depth/lows and I could live with a bit more sustain".

"Now I WAS going to go for EMAD 1-ply beacuse the foam rings add that flexibility, but I started looking at Evans' little diagrams showing attack/sustain/tone/durability."

"I don't want to mess with internal dampening, that's why EMAD is attractive. Style-wise I want to sit right in between rock and jazz (if that makes sense!) just a responsive & musical sound limited only by my non-existant technique and low-level shells!".

Natman, with all due respect, do you really understand all of what you said about everything from the sensitivity part to added brightness but without losing depth/lows and some more sustain. You want it to sit between rock and jazz, but after looking at Evans diagrams that show you attack/sustain/tone/durability, you aren't sure of which head to buy.

I'm not exactly sure what attack is because over the years I've heard or read different drummers version of what attack means. One drummers sustain is another drummers thud. Tone is another thing that means different things to different people. Durability is the only thing that actually makes sense. Will it last or will I punch a hole in it in 2 weeks.

I've been at this for 60 years and it's only in the last 10-15 years that all these things have come up. Before that, you bought a head, tuned it , and played it. As for the BD, most of the drummers I've seen from decades ago, bought a head, put a piece of felt on the batter head, tuned the drum and played it.

I have a Remo something or other. I picked it by closing my eyes and dropping my finger down in the MF's catalogue, where it landed, that was the head I bought.

It has no muffling at all. No pillows, no holes in the reso head, no felt strip on the batter head, absolutely nothing.

If you think the EMAD is the head you want, buy it and tune it. You are going to have to play around with it, but that's a fact of life that drummers live with.

Now I'll wait and see what other opinions you get.
    Right on Rick!!

There are no magic drum heads. It takes experimentation, trial and error and tweaking to find that "perfect" sound.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Ok got the message loud & clear: need to try for myself! Now to scrounge up some funds...
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Skip the foam rings...unless you mic the kick. It does muffle the sound.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I've previously used the clear EMAD head and was very happy with it. But I switched over to a clear Remo PS3 head (another single-ply) some time back and couldn't be happier. Your ears will determine which one is right for you.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Natman View Post
    I've decided that I wan tto try a new batter head. I currently have an EMAD2 (clear) and though it's pretty good, I am thinking that double ply is creating some unwanted stiffness and there's more attack than I want (when I had the EQ patch on it was worse).

Again I am still a newb but I want more sensitivity out of the head. Added brightness would be OK if I don't lose depth/lows and I could live with a bit more sustain. I have a direct drive (double) pedal FWIW and the original reso is still on. The only other head I tried was the clear 1-ply that came with the kit which rang like crazy, didn't care for it at all.

Now I WAS going to go for EMAD 1-ply beacuse the foam rings add that flexibility, but I started looking at Evans' little diagrams showing attack/sustain/tone/durability. That made me consider other models.

I don't want to mess with internal dampening, that's why EMAD is attractive. Style-wise I want to sit right in between rock and jazz (if that makes sense!) just a responsive & musical sound limited only by my non-existant technique and low-level shells!

Thanks for your input!
    I'm with Rick and PMM on this issue. Your ears are the only thing that will guide you. You want warmer? Use a torch. More brightness? Use a flashlight. More attack? Hit it harder!

Kidding. Just refine your tuning skills. You'd be amazed at what good tuning can do.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

And don't forget that the reso head tuning has a lot to do with the sound of the kick as well!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I went through a few bass heads then tried the SuperKick2 and have been unbelievably happy.. Recently i switched to a unported Regulator for the reso head and couldn't believe the difference that made.. Everyone liked a different sound though. I was going for a nice deep THUMP where alot of people seem to enjoy the sound of a beater smacking plastic anymore So yeah it's trial and error..

P.S. i use a Vintage Bomber beater with that setup and have been very happy.

User Info Menu

Following up, I recorded my kick drum last night with each foam ring on the batter and with/without the felt strips I had on the reso. I decided that the sound I dislike is most likely coming from one of 2 sources:

1) the 2-ply EMAD is not for me (too focused, too much emphasis on attack, too thick) or
    2) the thin stock reso might be a candidate. I've been reading how thicker resos offer more sustain and I already ordered some for my toms. When I went looking for thicker bass drum resos, there isn't a whole lot, they stop around 10 mil. The big attack I'm getting isn't a bad sound at all, but maybe the reso is unable to give me the sustain to match it? There are plenty of overtones but overall decay is short.

So today I bought a regular Calftone since I can try it as a reso (it's 12 mil) and if that doesn't blow my skirt up, I can dump the EMAD2 and use it as a single ply batter with the stock reso I have on now. One of these 2 options has got to be closer to what I'm looking for (and learning to tune).
    Last edited by Natman; 10-11-2016 at 02:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I would imagine thicker reso's = less sustain. Remember the more the mass, the more force needed to vibrate it and the sooner it expends it's energy.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I would imagine thicker reso's = less sustain. Remember the more the mass, the more force needed to vibrate it and the sooner it expends it's energy.

all the best...
    Yes but no. Once activated, more mass would equal momentum that would take longer to dissipate. I also have no port and since I have attack out the wazoo, my hope is that this will be enough to get the 12 mil excited...

User Info Menu

I just love it when we get to rocket science class.

When we get to use all those words like focus, thud, dry, trashy, warm, not so warm as to become trashy, the possibility of decay, maybe some decay but not enough to ruin focus and resonance. Should I go 1 ply, 2 ply, 4 ply, plywood. Which 1 will give me depth without losing height.

Never thought about height did you. In other words, how high do I have to be before my drums start sounding good?

NASA didn't have terminology like this and they put men on the moon.

Here is a plan:

When you come to a head in the road, TAKE IT.

Have to add this, don't hurt your wazoo.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 10-04-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: ---

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...

Sounds like premature paradiddles to me.

User Info Menu

Ok so now I know for sure what impact a reso can have!
    Looks like hypothesis 2) was at least part right.
    Got the Calftone on and really didn't tune it, just finger tight then 1 full turn on each lug.

MASSIVE difference!! There's no question that it sustains more than the stock reso (which could easily be 12 years old). Was it just dead or too thin? Who cares? I love the improvement! In 20 minutes I'm in full honeymoon phase and feel like a genius

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Natman View Post

Thanks for your input!
    Evans EQ4 or EQ2

Single ply for your 'brighter' sound, but with a built in muffling ring for your not ringy deeper sound.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

The "decay" can easily be adjusted by the reso head tension. The tighter it is, the shorter the decay. With ANY drum, the longest decay is when the batter and reso are the same tension (and thus pitch). That allows both heads to vibrate in unison from the pressure waves (moving column of air inside the drum). Since you mentioned it before, equal tensioned heads allows for the most efficient transfer of momentum.
    The greater the tension differential between the two heads (one tighter than the other), the less efficient the transfer of momentum and the shorter the decay/sustain. It Doesn't matter which head is tighter.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

After many many years of trying just about every different BD head out there, I have finally started using only Aquarian SKI's on my kick, pre-ported Regulator reso heads. The only Aquarian heads I use, too. I don't like their snare or tom heads, but this pairing I find perfect. Nothing inside the drum, btw.
    Try to have fun with the journey of finding your sound. I know it gets expensive. Join the club.
    This is one of those questions where if you ask 100 different drummers, you'll get 100 different answers.
    Good luck.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Are you only stuck on using evans? i tried a few myself and ended up with aquarian SK2 with a non ported regulator.. i don't think i could be happier..

User Info Menu

Nope, not married to Evans but it's the first brand I tried and have been more than satisfied. And let's be honest, it isn't cheap replacing all the heads on a kit so I don't want to be doing this again for a few years (note I'm not taking drums very seriously so not a lot of hours go into beating them).

I'm overjoyed that I am getting the kind of sound I was hoping for with this reso. I didn't expect such an improvement and fully expected I'd have to change the batter. It's looking like resos are a very important factor that gets overlooked in favor of the batter side. I tuned each up a tiny bit higher last night and will record some samples just to compare with what I had before settling on the tuning I want. My Genera tom resos are expected in the mail today! My brother in law is coming to visit this weekend and he plays regularly, so we're going to be tuning the whole kit together #stoked!

User Info Menu

Thats awesome and i didnt think the bass reso would do much til i removed my stock DW one and put on the regulator. it was like BOOOOOOOMMMM... lovin it..