Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are some of your favorite metal/brass/etc snares?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What are some of your favorite metal/brass/etc snares?

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    If they are all the best, why own 3 or 4? There must be advantages that some have over the others?
    I dunno. I can only tell a metal snare from a wood one, but between all the wood types and metal types I can't really hear significant difference. My ear just isn't sophisticated enough I guess.

My thing with the Ludwig snare is this...sound great, look great, tune up great, last long, and throw and strainers that don't give thumb hernias to engage. on top of all this...the most recorded snare ever and as important to the sound of our generation of music as is the Strat, the Tele, the P bass and Marshall amps.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I dunno. I can only tell a metal snare from a wood one, but between all the wood types and metal types I can't really hear significant difference. My ear just isn't sophisticated enough I guess.

all the best...

Very honest answer, and appreciated.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Just about three hours ago I acquired a Gretsch USA COB 5X14 snare drum.
    Absolutely flawless traditional G4164 model (has this thing ever seen a gig?)................cast hoops, lightning throw, 42 wire snares.............nice crack...........not even a fingerprint on this thing.

Made in the USA facility in SC sometime during the 90s.
    [Anyone know the date of serial number #66987 ?]

Could be a future favorite !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

This past weekend I used one of my DW maple snares instead of my Black Beauty. It was a small room and I was trying to be careful to not overpower it. I did miss the amazing rim shots of the BB.

As for my favorite metal snares?

My two Back Beauty snares, 5" and 6 1/2" deep. The 5" gets the call for most gigs.

My 1960s COB Rogers Dynasonic is a beast. It lives at the rehearsal space in my rhythm guitarist's attic. It sounds a lot like my BBs, so it is perfect for that job.

I have a late model Supraphonic set up in the rehearsal room in my house. It is a good choice for that use.

For many (20+?) years an early 1970s COB Gretsch model 4160 snare was my number one. I can not even guess how many gigs that I did with that snare drum. (A LOT!)

I had two Ahead black nickel over brass snares for a while, a 14" and a 13". The 14" was nice, but the 6 1/2" x 13" was really special. I traded the two of them for a Fender Jazz bass about three years ago, I regret that move although I have plenty of cool drums to choose from.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."