Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some of your favorite metal/brass/etc snares?

User Info Menu

Default What are some of your favorite metal/brass/etc snares?

I realized I only have 1 *normal* metal snare. I think I need another one. Preferably something that comes in 5 - 5.5x14, but deeper snares will not be ignored. I was leaning towards some kind of Ludwig Black Beauty, but just want some input as to what else is out there.

For the purposes of this, ignore price.

edit: I ended up buying a new 5x14 Supraphonic! I like the Black Beautys but I preferred the Supra.
    Last edited by SpatzST; 10-01-2016 at 06:33 PM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What are some of your favorite metal/brass/etc snares?

I don't like them. I used to have a 6 1/2 brass but when I went to wood snares, I never went back. Metal is just too harsh for me. You can still get a nice crack out of a wood snare but without the edge.

User Info Menu

I personally love them, and a lot of drummers do. If I had to start all over, I'd go 14 x 5 brass and 14 x 5 aluminum. I have the Taye Metalworks 14x5 brass and it's my favorite snare I've come across. The strainer throw is unobtrusive, and the lugs don't get snagged on anything. They run around $200. The standard brass version of this drum runs about the same with similar features. I have the larger, raw brass Taye snare but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.

The Taye steel snare I'm likewise pleased with. The drum is polished, not plated, so the finish won't flake off. It weighs a ton and for my money is a drum that's nice to have but isn't quite essential. The brass really covers most loud situations. I like mine tuned medium to medium high.

For aluminum I've owned a Ludwig Acrolite like many others here. I find the drums to be quite light, and some of them out there can be out of round. They used to be a real steal, sometimes turning up for $25. In my area they're commonly $100. They're easy to switch parts on. The P-86 strainer is a common and worthwhile modification. Aluminum to my ears seems to have a lower pitch and is generally quieter than the brass. It will fill a room no problem. I like mine tuned medium to low.

I've handled and would recommend the Taye, Pearl Sensitone series, Pearl Free Floating series, and the Ludwig Acrolite. The Ludwig Black Beauty is held up as an industry standard, and it is a nice drum. I just happen to prefer my Taye. I've looked at the Noble Cooley Alloy Classic and various Dunnett snares as well, which run north of $500. The DW 14x8 steel snare is something I'd be interested to try. There's options a plenty. Explore!
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Great thread! I too agree on Taye. I have a 5x 13 10 ply studio maple that I customized and it kicks butt! So the only metal I don't have is a aluminum snare. I'm seriously thinking I'd go with Taye or Trick. If I go w/Trick I'll get the shell and ad my own hardware.

User Info Menu

The Supraphonic is all the metal snare I need or want. It has crack, snap and body all in one and low down sensitivity as well. Not into the ice pick in the ear ringing snare thing.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Ludwig. Classic Supraphonic or Acrolite.

You can't go wrong with these.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I have a Slingerland 6 1/2" Deep Copper that is one of my favorite snares. I am also quite fond of my 1968 Ludwig Acrolite.

User Info Menu

I've tried so many but the one I favor the most is my 14 x 5 Vintage Slingerland Festival steel snare. Man this snare has a lot of snap, crackle and pop. I also love the internal damper with can be adjusted from the outside with a knob which changes the sound of the snare for different genre of music..

User Info Menu

my number 1 I will never get rid of... I think everyone should own the Pork Pie Brass Patina
    It's a 13x7 but it's soooo sensitive and snappy and powerful.
    It's in my top 3 favorites of my 37 snares.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

oh jees I forgot about the supraphonic.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Under the etc heading ,I would look at finding a Fibes fiberglass which come up on Ebay from time to time.
    Usually under $500 in good condition.
    If it was good enough for Buddy...

[link removed. see forum rules about commercial posts. - Tom]
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Under the etc heading ,I would look at finding a Fibes fiberglass which come up on Ebay from time to time.
    Usually under $500 in good condition.
    If it was good enough for Buddy...
    something tells me you are a little biased towards fibes.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I have a 6x14 mapex phosphor hammered stainless steel. It's my primary snare. Got it for $120 used because guitar center didn't know what they had. Neither did the guy selling it apparently.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

my favorite is actually the only snare I own right now (for now).

It's the 13x7 Tama SLP Sonic Steel.

rimshots that will take your head off.

Went into Sam Ash wanting to get either the Mapex Machete or Blade (didn't have either) but did have the sonic steel. I played around with it on one of the sets and when I did the first rimshot I fell in love. Didn't hurt that it was far cheaper than either of the mapex snares.

I'm going to have this snare for quite a while me thinks....unless I have the opportunity to get a Black Beauty or Pearl Reference (20 ply) snare. Then it'll make a fine trade in lol.
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 14" AAX Xlosion Hats
    Sabian 10" AAX Aero Splash
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

My new Tama Starphonic Steel 14x6". Warm for a steel snaredrum. Great crack. Great sensitivity. And kind of a vintage sound.
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

In my 42 years playing I've only owned one metal snare drum. A Pearl Ian Paice signature Snare. Sounded great.

User Info Menu

I've always been a Ludwig guy and I own the BB, COB, Supra, and Acrolite. I prefer 5 x 14 snare drums and out of these, my personal preference is the BB. I've also heard really good things about the Pearl 5 x 14 Sensitone Beaded Seemless Aluminum Snare Drum although I've never played one.

These days I'm gigging a 5 x 14 Ludwig classic maple snare as [at this point in time] I too prefer the sound of maple over metal. However, the back up snare that I take to gigs is a '73 Ludwig Supraphonic.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 10-01-2016 at 09:11 AM.

User Info Menu

In my playing days, I had 3 Black Beauty's (all Super Sensitives) and a couple of Supras.

They were all tuned different to accommodate different venues.

Now I have a BB SS, a Black Magic, a Acrolite, and a Dyna-Sonic.

User Info Menu

I have three really great metal snares. An Acrolite which is a surprisingly good drum, a Ludwig hammered bronze 13x3.5 which is hands down the best piccolo I've ever heard, and a DW BNOB 14x8 (a mans snare) which I can best describe as a mind expanding beast.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Only own one: Pearl brass free-floater, 5 1/2" x 14"- my go to snare.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I've always been a Ludwig guy and I own the BB, COB, Supra, and Acrolite. I prefer 5 x 14 snare drums and out of these, my personal preference is the BB. I've also heard really good things about the Pearl 5 x 14 Sensitone Beaded Seemless Aluminum Snare Drum although I've never played one.

These days I'm gigging a 5 x 14 Ludwig classic maple snare as [at this point in time] I too prefer the sound of maple over metal. However, the back up snare that I take to gigs is a '73 Ludwig Supraphonic.
    Yeah! it all boils down to this: Any of the classic Ludwig metal snares is all the snare drum a drummer really needs.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Pearl Brass Free Floater 6 1/2 x 14. It's bright but also warm. Been using brass more than anything since 92, wood second and steel last.
    Last edited by slinky; 10-01-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Yeah! it all boils down to this: Any of the classic Ludwig metal snares is all the snare drum a drummer really needs.

all the best...
    If they are all the best, why own 3 or 4? There must be advantages that some have over the others?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    In my 42 years playing I've only owned one metal snare drum. A Pearl Ian Paice signature Snare. Sounded great.
    I've seen those before and have always wondered what those round pieces are on the lugs. I'm guessing lug locks?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike