Thread: Cymbal weights for crash and ride for rock music

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal weights for crash and ride for rock music

Hey guys,

Looking into possibly replacing my cymbals (currently have ZBTs that came with the set). I was looking at the Sabian SR2 series, and they classify them by weight only. What weight 16" crash and 20" ride would be good generally speaking for rock music? I am completely new to this, but know I want to get something that sounds better than the garbage can hats I have, and figured I might as well replace the crash/ride (18") I have as well. Thanks.

OED
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal weights for crash and ride for rock music

Rock cymbals typically have heavier weights. The added weight translates to not only louder volume but higher pitch too, which is necessary if you need your cymbals to cut through the mix of loud distortion guitars.

That being said, medium weight cymbals are the most versatile. They still have enough projection for live performances but they also won't feel clunky when played softer.

Are these cymbals for practice, jamming with friends, or live shows? When you say "for rock music" do you mean that is the music you enjoy playing or you are part of a rock band?

If you're not in a band playing shows where you need a ton of volume, I recommend going with medium weights. You could even go with thin weights but with bigger diameters. I personally have a thin 19" crash, a thin 20" ride that I use as a crash, and a medium 21" crash ride that I use as a main ride and they are versatile enough to play moderate rock (but not metal).

On a side note, beware of buying SR2's without trying them in person. They are super random since these are refurbished cymbals. I personally bought an 18" medium crash and it was a dud with barely any volume.

Your alternative options are to either buy used professional cymbals, save up for new ones, or you can go with an intermediate/semi-professional series.

For rock music budget cymbals I'd recommend:

• Dream Energy or Contact
    • Zildjian S
    • Sabian XSR
    • Paiste PST-7 or PST-8
    • Meinl Classics or Classics Custom

User Info Menu

I have never believed that there are certain drums or cymbals for certain styles of music. Any cymbal or drum can be used for any style of music , if it sounds good to you then go for it. I play Classic rock , Progressive rock, Progressive Metal , Country rock , blues, bluegrass , and Zappa. I use the same drums and cymbals for all.

I'm using Zildjian A Custom Cymbals because I love the way they sound. That simple.

User Info Menu

I have mentioned this many times Zildjian A's ( avedis ) are versatile cymbals that fit in just about any genre of music. The most used cymbals of 60-70's era can't go wrong with them.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the responses guys! Sage, I am not in a band. My son and I both started drum lessons a little over a month ago and we are both rock fans. I will take all of your advise and make sure I play anything before I buy it. NPYYZ and Pearl MCX Man, I have heard great things about the A's as well, may try to find some used in my area. Thanks again.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I have never believed that there are certain drums or cymbals for certain styles of music. Any cymbal or drum can be used for any style of music , if it sounds good to you then go for it. I play Classic rock , Progressive rock, Progressive Metal , Country rock , blues, bluegrass , and Zappa. I use the same drums and cymbals for all.

I'm using Zildjian A Custom Cymbals because I love the way they sound. That simple.
    Know what? I think you're kinda right! A good cymbal is a good cymbal. There's only good and bad music.

all the best...

User Info Menu

The SR2's really need to be played in person first. Any cymbal from AA, AAX, HH, HHX or Vault can be an SR2 and I imagine prototypes and other one-offs can as well. There are sites which do have demos of the exact SR2 cymbal you're buying, and that would be your best bet if none are local.
    I like thin cymbals, but I'm also not playing rock. If you hit harder I would get something medium or heavy. But the heavier the cymbal is, the harder you'll have to hit it to get it to open up and it will usually have a more clangy sound. This is less of a problem with a ride but with crashes it's very noticeable.
    I agree about Dream Contact and Energy. Also Kasza has a Rock series...have only really played their Fusion series so can't comment on it but they are supposed to be quality and sound tested before they are sold. CRX is another one and they have demos on their website of all their cymbals.

User Info Menu

You def have a point, but I wouldn't say any cymbal is the right fit for any style.

Case in point, I got a Istanbul Mel Lewis 20" Ride when I started playing acoustic drums again, and even as I was trying it out I knew it really wasn't the right fit for the band I was in at the time (blues rock). But I loved the sound and went with this jazz cymbal anyway.

Sure enough, it didn't really fit the music, and I went with something a bit more universal. Even now, I want to replace it with another cymbal (21" A Sweet Ride).

However, a good sounding cymbal is a good sounding cymbal, which is mostly subjective, although you can get ones with a 'dead' sound, which is why I firmly believe in try before you buy...and that all the 'heavy metal' cymbals I've heard sound like total garbage, and not that price=quality, but those cymbals tend to be the cheaper ones.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Plenty of lesser known Turkish/chinese brands with good sounding cymbals for cheap prices.

User Info Menu

I have two A Custom crashes and they are great.
    I like the thin A and the thin K for crashes too.
    I have one medium-thin K just to get one that has a bit more sustain.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Plenty of lesser known Turkish/chinese brands with good sounding cymbals for cheap prices.
    Interesting it's that way down under, in the US they are the same price as the main brands, here in the heart of civilization, they are about 30% cheaper...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Interesting it's that way down under, in the US they are the same price as the main brands, here in the heart of civilization, they are about 30% cheaper...
    I am not seeing where they are the same price as the larger brands in the US, but aside from the larger companies like Agop, Bosphorus and Meinl Byzance they are definitely cheaper...and even the larger ones like Byzance are not as expensive as the "big three."

User Info Menu

I used to insist on Zildjian Z cymbals for heavy music. Nowadays I only use Zildjian A's & K's. The Z's were too loud, too harsh & would crack as they were so thick. Since switching to A's & K's I haven't had any problems. Wonderful sounding & no problem at all with projection

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    I used to insist on Zildjian Z cymbals for heavy music. Nowadays I only use Zildjian A's & K's. The Z's were too loud, too harsh & would crack as they were so thick. Since switching to A's & K's I haven't had any problems. Wonderful sounding & no problem at all with projection
    A's can do anything.

BackStreetDrums Guest

Inexpensive, yet, IMO, well worth the money in little out of pocket expense:

Xist by Istanbul/Agop...pure B20 Turkish made and a new 20" ride is about $150

Also, Pst7 by Paiste. B8 alloy, but only Paiste knows how to apply it.

User Info Menu

Update. I found used Custom A hats a few weeks back, and I am picking up my used Zildjian 20" Medium Ride tonight. 2/3rds of my cymbals are now high quality. I am now on the prowl for a used Zildjian A crash.
    Last edited by OldeEnglishD; 12-01-2016 at 05:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice Old E...try lightly hitting the ride and putting it up to your ear and enjoy the sonic bliss!

Interesting that the Turkish ones are cheaper than the big three in the US, honestly, when I go back home, I don't look too hard at them simply because the big three are like 30% more expensive here than in the states, and my quick glances in the US at the turkish ones showed me they were +/- the same price,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Interesting that the Turkish ones are cheaper than the big three in the US, honestly, when I go back home, I don't look too hard at them simply because the big three are like 30% more expensive here than in the states, and my quick glances in the US at the turkish ones showed me they were +/- the same price,
    Yeah, it really depends on the brand. BTW, I am comparing the Turkish companies to the most similar series from each larger company, for example Sabian HH / HHX / Artison, Zildjian K, and the higher end B20 Paiste lines.
    I just bought a Bosphorus 16" Turk vented cymbal for under $200 and that is a normal price, not a sale price. Sabian 16" HHX Ozone is around $270, Zildjian K Efx is $260, and while Meinl Byzance is made in Turkey, they've been increasing their prices several times lately so now are equal to the Efx at $260 (they used to be around $235.) Interesting that the machine-made K is priced equal to a handmade Byzance. Istanbul Xist, which generally have a brighter sound and more machine hammering (I believe) are priced much lower than the brighter lines from the big 3 as well.
    Some Turkish companies do have lines that are equal to the big 3 in pricing so that could have been what you looked at, and I have a feeling that if more of the mainstream music retailers start carrying more of them, their prices will go up, but given how many Turkish companies there are it should be easy to find cheaper ones for quite a while longer I hope!

User Info Menu

Yea PCS it might also be that retailers are more likely to sell cymbals at a similar price point (as well as the fact the more expensive ones have higher margins, and the cheaper big threes are still more expensive and with better margins than the cheaper Turks).

The Xist line is meant to be one of their cheaper lines, not quite entry level, but not their top of the line...this is one thing i love about the turks, they have a lot more flexibility in their lines.

The best thing to do is go to Istanbul and buy them there! a fantastic city, great food, a bit of a political mess, but what country isn't these days?

User Info Menu

I have found that any country becomes a political mess if said country has more than 10 people.

12 and it's a revolution.

User Info Menu

The republic of jon has had trouble holding onto it's 3rd citizen- the female one- for several years now...it's feline citizen currently is content to lay on top of the dryer...