Thread: Another Brutal gig...

User Info Menu

Default Another Brutal gig...

Played an outdoor biker/charity party gig last night for a local bar. It was pretty uncomfortable. The bikers were super nice, they just didn't get into anything we played. We cut back on the Bluegrass and stuck to Blues, Rock-a-billy and Blues Rock. Even did some Stones, Skynyrd and Marshal Tucker stuff. We'd nail a song...knock it out of the park even....and when it ended you could literally hear crickets chirping, LOL. The regular bar patrons all stayed inside and only came out to smoke. By 9:30 (after 3 hours), the owner came out and told us we could shut it down. We packed up and I went inside to get paid. The bar itself was packed to capacity. They were all 21 to 26 year olds (mostly girls) and the owner had a DJ playing club dance music and new "Bro" country. The owner actually paid us $50 more than we had agreed on. She had us scheduled to play again on Halloween. I looked around at the crowd said "if this is your normal crowd, we might want to rethink Halloween. I'm not sure we're the right band for this crowd". She smiled and said "I think you're right". I told her if she wanted to cancel us it would be OK. She felt really bad but said she wants to have us back on a Friday night, when her older and more mature crowd usually hangs out. I suggested we try a Friday Afternoon Club thing sometime....maybe from 6 to 9 and do it all acoustic at low volume.

I'm disappointed, but that's just how it goes. My theory is that playing a place where the crowd doesn't get into it is the WORST thing to do to my band. It's an emotional drain, and to me, music IS emotion. It erodes your confidence, which in turn throws you off your game.

On the UP side, we did get an inquiry on our FB page from someone who was there and liked us. They said they were interested in hiring us for a gig and wanted to know how much we charge. Also, I got to play my PDP Concept Maples with mic's on them last night. I had them tuned to perfection and they sounded awesome.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Another Brutal gig...

We had a similar situation Friday night. We opened a new club that has two sections. We ended up with about 30ish people who listened to us, but the other section with a juke box with trash music had the younger crowd. I told my band mates that unless the kids like blues, our crowd is the middle aged folks who are just getting off work and looking to have a few drinks while listening to a band. I'm only 36, but very few people my age and younger have any taste for what real music is.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

The reality is that the younger generation would rather listen to the new "music" played on the radio. Now the middle aged crowd can really appreciate a live band.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    The reality is that the younger generation would rather listen to the new "music" played on the radio. Now the middle aged crowd can really appreciate a live band.

This.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear Brian. I've been there too. Nothing more frustrating than to really be on your game, especially dancing songs and have zero interaction from the crowd. Until we are on break of course and que up the Nay Nay, Cupid Shuffle, and all those other type of songs...that's when the dance floor fills up.

Oh well, at least you got a few more green backs than you anticipated.

Tex

User Info Menu

Don't give in without trying something outside your comfort zone. Try and take a few newer songs and put your own spin on them. You may be surprised at the response you get. You see a younger crowd not into what your doing bust out a Cee-Lo-Green tune with a blue grass flavor to it? Or some Kenny Chesney, those popular new country tunes go well with adding your own style to em. Hell you guys may all find you love them even more than the crowd.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm Southern California, so back in the day we would pull off some Stevie Ray Vaughan and Robin Trower and they loved us! (we where able to pull it off so that helped) And I know there were some Hell's Angels in the crowd too!

User Info Menu

OK....update. Even stranger....

The message we got on Facebook ended up being the gentleman who organizes the charity poker run. He's with a Veterans M.C. club (the charity run was for homeless vets). He thanked us, said they were very happy with our performance and we did an awesome job. He apologized for not having a bigger crowd and expressed his displeasure with the bar owner having a DJ inside while we played outside. He said they would like to have us perform at some future events. They change the final stop venue on a regular basis, and he's positive that any of the other bars they frequent would be thrilled to have a band like us. He asked for my phone number so we could discuss some upcoming events in detail.

In return, I asked if he would be interested in being the charity recipient for the multi-band jam festival that I organize and my band hosts every year.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That's really cool! a happy ending and a prosperous beginning!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I would agree with that in general. I can say, however, that I've seen some things in the last two years that surprised me. There appears to be a small but strong appreciation for modern Bluegrass among some of the younger crowd. My oldest son (who's 25) informed me that he has a group of friends who are into Blues, alternative Bluegrass and folk music. Several times, we've had a fair amount of college age girls (and guys) show up at a gig and really get into our music. It's surprising to look out in a crowd and see 20yr old girls singing along to an old John Prine song or a classic Bill Monroe, LOL. On the flip side, we've played places full of 50+ year old farmers that only want to hear 80's Rock. The problem is, we can never tell up front and have to rely on the bar owners knowledge. Some know what will go over in their establishment, some are clueless and even worse; some hire bands that play music THEY like and pay no attention to what their patrons like.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I think anyone here who has gigged before has been in that situation. Yeah, it's rough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I think anyone here who has gigged before has been in that situation. Yeah, it's rough.
    what up marko! long time
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

There was a performer here in Tucson who was getting up in years . He and his brother opened a bar , a big one , and said it would be the epitome of a musicians club . He hired bands every night and had sort of a theme for each night . It had a big stage with a great PA and lights . A house sound crew that would unload your stuff for you and help you load out at the end of the night . Dressing rooms . And he would feed you too ! All you had to do was let him up and do a song or two with you . It was ok at first , people seemed to enjoy that cause he was well liked . Then he started requiring that you learn more of his songs . And then he was doing a whole set with you backing him up...with no extra pay . Soon enough he took over the weekends . The place soon closed down . Sad because it was a happening place at first . Then he killed it by taking over the performing aspect of it .
    Audiences are fickle and will turn on you . We start the night with some blues . But when we start seeing a younger crowd who seem to be aluf we'll break into the "Cupid Shuffle" and other dance songs and things get better from then on . Then later we can go back to playing the blues and the kids will stay with us ... and they seem to get into it too .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    what up marko! long time
    Hey Slink! I still mosey on through every so often!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    There was a performer here in Tucson who was getting up in years . He and his brother opened a bar , a big one , and said it would be the epitome of a musicians club . He hired bands every night and had sort of a theme for each night . It had a big stage with a great PA and lights . A house sound crew that would unload your stuff for you and help you load out at the end of the night . Dressing rooms . And he would feed you too ! All you had to do was let him up and do a song or two with you . It was ok at first , people seemed to enjoy that cause he was well liked . Then he started requiring that you learn more of his songs . And then he was doing a whole set with you backing him up...with no extra pay . Soon enough he took over the weekends . The place soon closed down . Sad because it was a happening place at first . Then he killed it by taking over the performing aspect of it .
    Audiences are fickle and will turn on you . We start the night with some blues . But when we start seeing a younger crowd who seem to be aluf we'll break into the "Cupid Shuffle" and other dance songs and things get better from then on . Then later we can go back to playing the blues and the kids will stay with us ... and they seem to get into it too .
    We try to do the same. First set is a mix of Bluegrass and Blues with a few classic Rock and Country sprinkled in. We try to read the crowd to see what goes over, then adapt. Always seems the crowd is rigid the first set. Once they get a few drinks down, they start to dance. By the fourth set, they'll dance to anything, LOL. This last gig was just odd. The bikers wanted the Blues & Rock. I think the younger ones MAY HAVE got into it, but we were outside with the bikers and the younger crowd stayed inside. I think there was a bit of a culture clash going on as well.
    -Brian