Thread: Best Snare Stand for Single Tom

User Info Menu

Default Best Snare Stand for Single Tom

Colleagues ....
    I'm hoping for suggestions, advice, warnings, regarding the best snare stand to use to support a single tom in the standard position opposite the snare. I see DW has one marketed as being specifically made for this purpose, and maybe it's a ringer. The approach has been around for quite awhile though, so other manufacturers may also have a stand that works just as well but isn't marketed as such. Willing to pay a reasonable upcharge for something that works well. Tom would be in the 12" to 14" dia range, and I'm average height. Thanks in advance for any help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best Snare Stand for Single Tom

Just about any snare stand will work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Just about any snare stand will work.
    This. For more resonance, leave the claws loose and stick some foam where the drum will sit. I think I remember Pearl having some sort of suspension stand for toms.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I found the snare stand for a tom did not work for me. It choked the drum and did not allow it to resonate.

User Info Menu

Any stand will do. Leave loose. I bought foam pieces to attach to the claws (forgot what they're called) and there is absolutely no issue with choking.

User Info Menu

You want the best, DW makes one that is Tom specific. It uses different feet than a standard snare basket foot so the drum can resonate better.

Pearl also makes attachments and maybe an actual tom basket stand also.

User Info Menu

I've thought about going to a snare stand again. Have done it in the past but I had stability issues. They were minor but still enough in my mind to go back to a single tom stand. I use a big rack tom 13x11 and like a larger footprint of the longer leg base plus you can easily add a tom if you desire to later on.

I was watching a video I made playing a gig with the camera set up to the side. The rack was really taking some blows. Also maybe it's myth but I mount the tom with the L arm pointed down as opposed to up. This way it's a little more suspended. Just be sure it's tight.

welcome to the forum dusty
    Last edited by slinky; 10-04-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

If you are set on getting a snare stand for it rather than mounting it from a tom arm, any medium or heavy double-braced snare stand will work. Get some TNR Little Booty Shakers for it. They are little pieces which attach to the snare basket and isolate the tom so it doesn't choke. Sidenote, if anyone uses a small snare and the drum gets choked or sounds thinner when on the stand than when you hold it, these work great for that too.
    I recommend Tama, Yamaha or Mapex stands as they are all top quality and are generally cheaper than the DW equivalents. I don't have a lot of experience with Pearl's nicer snare stands but I'm sure they'd be fine too. But the TNR Little Booty Shakers are the main thing to get if you want your tom to sound its best on a snare stand.

User Info Menu

Mystified as to why a snare stand would choke a tom but not a snare.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    I've actually owned several snares which do get choked in a snare stand. It seems to effect some drums more than others. No idea why, though.

User Info Menu

Get the best looking stand.
    It's important it makes your kit look good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    That's a good question that I can't answer. The tom I had was a 13x11 Ludwig classic maple. On the snare stand it had a dead lifeless sound so I put a rims mount on it and it came to life.

stand

mount

Man I wish I still had that kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    That's a good question that I can't answer. The tom I had was a 13x11 Ludwig classic maple. On the snare stand it had a dead lifeless sound so I put a rims mount on it and it came to life.

stand

mount

Man I wish I still had that kit.
    That's a beautiful kit! 26" Bass drum?
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    If you are set on getting a snare stand for it rather than mounting it from a tom arm, any medium or heavy double-braced snare stand will work. Get some TNR Little Booty Shakers for it. They are little pieces which attach to the snare basket and isolate the tom so it doesn't choke. Sidenote, if anyone uses a small snare and the drum gets choked or sounds thinner when on the stand than when you hold it, these work great for that too.
    I recommend Tama, Yamaha or Mapex stands as they are all top quality and are generally cheaper than the DW equivalents. I don't have a lot of experience with Pearl's nicer snare stands but I'm sure they'd be fine too. But the TNR Little Booty Shakers are the main thing to get if you want your tom to sound its best on a snare stand.

Yeah I watched a youtube video about those and comparing the sound differences. From that they do work. Never tried them myself but I've never really used the tom in a basket trick/setup.

User Info Menu

A snare stand can choke the sound (but not completely) of any drum, especially with drums fit with lighter hoops.

All my USA drums (and Black Magic snare) have cast hoops and this is not a big issue.
    And I do have a 13 rack tom sitting in a snare stand.............I don't tighten it down.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That's it, Booty Shakers. I've got a 13" rack tom that I set on a snare stand using those Booty Shakers and it works fine. No choking, no problem. You can see them in this picture. The velcro straps are red: