Thread: For those already with Pro Level sets (re trading up)

User Info Menu

Default For those already with Pro Level sets (re trading up)

I've seen a few topics on other drum message boards about "if price were no issue" what kind of set would you get.

This is a little different. This is for those who have pro level sets already that you love dearly and is there a set out there that you would trade your set for.

For example:

I have a Mapex Saturn V....I absolutely looove this set but there is one set out there that I would trade this for and that is a Pearl Reference Pure. And if the opportunity ever arose and the funds where there, I'd do it in a heartbeat. There's just something about it that I love that no other set can equal. But the funny thing is that I like the 20 ply Reference snares FAR more than the Pure snares.

Having said that, this is a pipe dream at the moment but you never know what the future holds. The Saturn is amazing in every aspect, but the Reference Pure just as the something about it.

So Drumchat let me know what you have out there that you would do similarly (if you do).
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 14" AAX Xlosion Hats
    Sabian 10" AAX Aero Splash
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

Default Re: For those already with Pro Level sets (re trading up)

Hmm.. I have a DW collectors that I'd probably trade for something else.. not sure what, but maybe something a little more 'classic' sounding. Gretsch USA?.... maybe I'll just get a USA as well. That would solve all my problems!

edit: I take it back... I just sat down behind the kit and hit it a few times. changed my mind.
    Last edited by SpatzST; 10-10-2016 at 09:43 PM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I absolutely love my Yamaha Maple Custom... I've had it for many years.. but with that said I'd love to trade it up to one in a bit better condition. As a college student I took advantage of the kit and took it on tour for 3 years and it needs some much love.

Wish I would have taken a crappier set on tour...

Someday I know it's overrated to most I want some custom exotic crazy DW kit...
    I see them post up kits online all the time that make my jaw hurt from dropping to the ground.

User Info Menu

I love my Pearl MCX and have had it now for 9 years and would never trade it for anything else. It would be hard for me to replace it with another kit that would sound just as good and quality built like this Pearl. Best investment I ever made.
    Some drummers go through so many kits before they find the one they want. I find that a waste of money. I say buy the kit that you want the first time and you will be happy with it.
    I played Pearls in the 60 -70's and still playing them today. Can't go wrong with Pearls.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 10-07-2016 at 09:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a set of Saturns and a Ludwig Keystone, both of which I would trade for a Ludwig Classic Maple kit.

I also have a set of 1968 Ludwig Club Dates that I wouldn't trade for anything.

User Info Menu

Next August 26th, I will have had my (Jasper) USA Customs (ordered February or March of 1977) for 40 years...............and, as always, I love the idea that I will play them yet again at the gig I have next weekend.

During this 40-year period, I have seen and played on some fantastic top-line pro-level kits.............Tama, DW, Yamaha, Ludwig, etc...............and even some "boutique" kits like Brady.

Some of them were certainly just as good as my Gretsch shells, but I never thought of any of them as "better".

I will also confess I have heard other USA shells produced in other years that for some reason don't sound as rich...............so maybe I just got lucky.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Been there done that . Ever since I got into drumming professionally I've only had top of the line kits . And yea I would trade them in and get a new kit every other year . They may have been from different companies but they were all lateral moves . Mostly because of the visuals . MTV had just come out and as a band you had to look the part . Big pain in the rear ! But..you play the game..you get the gigs .
    I'm no longer playing at that level , just locally so what I have now is just fine . However if I had a chance I would trade in the Pearl Maples for a set of Gretsch USA's . I've never owned a set of Gretsch , always wanted to try a set . And it would have to be in some colorful natural finish...something that would pop on stage visually .

User Info Menu

I would never trade my Ludwig Classic Maples for anything. I love the sound of this kit. I've found my sound and I feel no need to change anything. However, I would love to trade some money for a second Ludwig kit in the Legacy Classic or Classic Maple Downbeat configuration ... some day ...

User Info Menu

I have owned so many kits through the years. Both midlevel and PRO level kits. Always searching for something that was My sound. After having owned several Yamaha Recording kits, Pearl MLX, Pearl MMX, Premier Genista, Premier Signia, Sonor 3007, K-Drums, Tama Starclassic B/B etc etc I found a Gretsch Renown and finally found the closest thing to My sound. I now finally have a 70s Gretsch Stopsign kit that I will never get rid of. Amazing kit in all ways. Love it. I may get a second kit though and that will most likely be a Gretsch Renown.
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

With all the kits I've owned, the TAMA Starclassic B/B has become my pot of gold.

I'm completely satisfied with that series and will look no further.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Trade no, but still would love an Austin era Fibes, a Camco and a 60s Ludwig.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I youth about trading my Pearl BLX in for a Pearl Session Studio Classic but when it came down to it, I just couldn't so I put the Session Studio Classic kit on layaway. I just couldn't resist that deep punch tone but I also couldn't give up my warm and powerful birch drums either.

My Yamaha Beech Custom kit also has a sound that I can't find in any other kit. Once I get the Pearl Session Studio Classic kit home, I will have all the drum sounds that I've had in my head covered.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

I wouldn't trade mine for anything (DW Collectors maple/mahogany shells). However, I would have appreciated trying the same set out with DW all maple and all cherry shells so I could actually hear the difference for myself.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I'm one of those who started a 'price is no object' thread. I have a cherry DW kit that I love...and I'm not sure I'd trade it for anything. But I'd love a Yamaha Phoenix in addition, or a Sonor SQ2 kit, and even a Tama Star Bubinga. If i had the money, and the ROOM, I'd have all 4 kits set up in the same spot and play whichever one struck me on that day, or that hour/minute :-)!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Some drummers go through so many kits before they find the one they want. I find that a waste of money. I say buy the kit that you want the first time and you will be happy with it.
    That can be easier said than done though as a lot of drummers don't actually know what they want until they have had a few kits. I went through 4 kits before I realized the sound that I was really looking for. Yes, I did blow a lot of money finding that sound, but I would have never known what it was until I played my kits to hear what they were lacking. I have my dream kit now, so I do have 2 kits for sale to try and recoup some of that investment.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I've been gigging my DW collector's Series kit for eight years and love it. I have owned a few Gretsch USA kits, my current Gretsch kit is from 1972. I also own several vintage Slingerland kits that were high end back in the day. Honestly, I love them all.

Several years ago I played on a Craviotto solid shell walnut kit that was stunning aurally and visually. If I sold a few kits I could afford it I guess. But, I don't want to give up any of my current kits. I guess that I could just start saving...
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."