Thread: 14” Floor tom and more, is it enough?

User Info Menu

Default 14” Floor tom and more, is it enough?

Hi everyone,

I’ve currently got my eyes on one of the Ludwig Signet Gigabeat kits. The configuration is 20x15” kick, 12x8” rack tom and a 14x14” floor tom. I’m in love with the sound of this kit, the warm maple shells give it gorgeous tones.

I’m primarily going to tune the kit with lower tunings as that’s how I prefer the sound of the kick and toms, however whatever snare I put with it, will be at a higher tension to give it a nice pop.
    I’m usually found playing various genres of rock whether it be blues rock, hard rock (borderline heavy metal) even grunge along with standard funk, fusion and often play drums for various shows in my area. Alongside that I do a lot of studio drumming for various genres of music.

My only question is, will this kit be enough for what I’m playing? The kit will be mic’d up.

I usually play small clubs and bars in the city centre however from time to time play big shows in larger venues to 3-4 thousand people in the audience. Will this kit and these sizes give enough to project and cut through the music? This can be anything from 2 or 3 loud guitars and bass to even horns from time to time and to the simplistic trio, one guitar, one bass and me.

I love the kit and the sizes but don’t want to put out so much money if it’s not going to be strong enough to cut.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 14” Floor tom and more, is it enough?

Will be fine. 14" FT is botton-endy enough with the right heads and tuning.
    Your back will also thank you for the lighter loads.

User Info Menu

I've never played to more than 300-400 people at an outdoor event. But, it seems to me that if the kit is mic'd, it shouldn't matter what sizes it is. Heck, look at Charlie Watts' kit!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

It's not the floor tom that can't cut through... that's up to your sound guy to mix right on the big venues of 3-4 thousand people in your audience.

What kind of shows are you playing that you get 3-4 thousand? Obviously your group/band/or whatever are very good or famous.

User Info Menu

If you will have mics on the drums it won't be an issue.

User Info Menu

Yes those sizes will work .
    Any drummer worth his salt will make those sizes work .
    Now...go get those drums !
    And ....good luck .

User Info Menu

I have a Pearl Prestige Session Select kit with a 14" floor tom (Maple/Mahogany) and, although it sounds great, it really needs to be mic'd.

It sounds amazing mic'd.

It's ok if it's a smaller club and I'm just mic'ing the kick/snare and using an overhead, but if it's a larger gig...it needs to be mic'd up on it's own.
    Last edited by EddieV; 10-12-2016 at 04:24 PM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    It's not the floor tom that can't cut through... that's up to your sound guy to mix right on the big venues of 3-4 thousand people in your audience.

What kind of shows are you playing that you get 3-4 thousand? Obviously your group/band/or whatever are very good or famous.
    It's usually at festivals or rallies! I have a few good friends who often perform tribute act shows or music suited to whatever the festival is so you get a lot of audience members! Nerve racking at times!

User Info Menu

14 is more than fine. It might take some really, really low tunings to get them low sounds, but it'll definitely suffice.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

My personal kit is a DW Jazz series 12x8, 14x14, 16x20. The kit at work is a DW Collectors 18 or 20x20, 9x12, 14x14

The sizes can do at on of genres really well. At work (the pic in the avatar) we play old country, pop, classic rock up to metal core like music and they all fit. Are there times I would enjoy larger sizes? Sure. But then I would primarily enjoy the smaller sizes because they can do so much more than just larger sizes can.
    I started triggering the drums recently and that opened a complete new realm of flexibility to our sounds.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris