Thread: The Department of Motor Vehicles.

User Info Menu

Default The Department of Motor Vehicles.

God Bless the interwebz.

The ability to avoid the DMV by using online services is truly one of the greatest advancements in my lifetime.

I remember the old days when waiting in line at the DMV along with dealing with the DMV employees was akin to punishment in the legal system. It really was a miserable experience that you tried to avoid at all costs.

In fact, my friend spent less time IN JAIL for a D.U.I. than I did at the DMV getting my licenses transferred, vehicle inspected and re-registered to a new state. It took me almost 6 hours on a Saturday. My friend was sentenced to 24 hours in jail and was released after 4 hours. (He sat in a hallway the whole time).

I had it worse.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Department of Motor Vehicles.

yeah the DMV is just AWFUL.... and they don't care.

User Info Menu

Worst attitudes in a job anywhere. Them and the Post Office. I too am grateful we don't have to look at their ugly faces anymore.

User Info Menu

I worked for the DMV here in Tucson for a while ! Back in 80/81 ...can't remember ... after the first band I was in fell apart I came home . A friend worked for the county and she got me a part time job at the DMV . It was back when the county was in charge , right at the time when the state took over . I was one of three men that were working there . It was mostly women . And the other two guys were supervisores . I worked for two months then everyone had to reapply to the State . I was guaranteed that I would be hired . And the word was that I would move up the food chain pretty fast if I stayed (because I was male) . But for me it was temporary . And so I left .
    Maybe if I would have stayed I would be running the place by now ... or retired with a government pension . But I wasn't thinking about starting a family or settling down . I remember everyone slapping me on the back and telling me I had it made ... a government job . And for some reason people were introducing me to "nice" girls who would "make a good wife" .
    Oh well .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    "nice" girls who would "make a good wife" .
    That's a whole 'nother thread!

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

The DMV! the wait and the long lines. I try to do all my "DMV" stuff at AAA. The customer service is better, lines are shorter, and plenty of parking. I don't know why those DMV employees are so worked up!

User Info Menu

Here in Canada the DMV has been privatized and man the service is excellent. You walk in with the paperwork and they fill it in with a smile. The old way pfft like people have mentioned you waited in line and if there was one space you forget to fill well back of the line you went. I hate any government agencies they have attitude problems and don't care cause they have a miserable job.

User Info Menu

Best DMV I've been to is PA.
    It's a quasi state run org that literally you can walk in off the street and get a new drivers license or ID card in under a half hour.
    In CA ,I wanted a state ID card as a supplement to my PA drivers license and the appointment wait time was a month in most locations.
    Go in off the street and good luck with that!
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

That's the one thing that really shocked me when I moved to CA. The DMV here is horrible.

When I lived back east, if I needed tags for my car, it would take me 15-20 minutes tops at the DMV office right down the street from where I used to work.

Here in Cali? Fuggetaboutit. I'm just thankful that you can do most of it by mail and even that's horrible.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    God Bless the interwebz.

The ability to avoid the DMV by using online services is truly one of the greatest advancements in my lifetime.

I remember the old days when waiting in line at the DMV along with dealing with the DMV employees was akin to punishment in the legal system. It really was a miserable experience that you tried to avoid at all costs.

In fact, my friend spent less time IN JAIL for a D.U.I. than I did at the DMV getting my licenses transferred, vehicle inspected and re-registered to a new state. It took me almost 6 hours on a Saturday. My friend was sentenced to 24 hours in jail and was released after 4 hours. (He sat in a hallway the whole time).

I had it worse.

In years past in Jersey, you had to bring a sleeping bag and pack a lunch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    It took me almost 6 hours on a Saturday. My friend was sentenced to 24 hours in jail and was released after 4 hours. (He sat in a hallway the whole time).

I had it worse.
    He was released for good behavior. You on the other hand....

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    When I lived back east, if I needed tags for my car, it would take me 15-20 minutes tops at the DMV office right down the street from where I used to work.
    Still that way in Iowa. In and out in less than half an hour.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Still that way in Iowa. In and out in less than half an hour.

I guess that was one of the benefits living in the upper midwest.

I once made an online appointment with the CA DMV, three weeks in advance for a 2:00 p.m. appointement, showed up fifteen minutes early and by the time they got to me, it was 2:15. It's just ridic.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I have to go to the dmv today. Bought a bronco last night. I go around 3:30 though. In and out in under an hour usually
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Whether it's going for your license, registration, taxes, or anything run by the government, they are the only game in town.

Their game, their rules.

At least here where I live, the people are nice, easy to get along with, and call you sir. If you have to call any government office, you actually get a human being that answers the phone, is polite, and will take the time to explain any questions you might have.

I can live with that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    I have to go to the dmv today. Bought a bronco last night. I go around 3:30 though. In and out in under an hour usually
    I like one thing about the Vegas DMV,you can get your stickers at AAA.
    As for their DMV in Vegas,uggghhhh!
    I had to park pretty far away as there wasn't any parking spaces arond the place.
    And on a 105 degree day,not real fun.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Worst attitudes in a job anywhere. Them and the Post Office. I too am grateful we don't have to look at their ugly faces anymore.
    I have a theory that people who work at the post office are actually a separate species of human, genetically engineered for maximum surliness and an inability to find a parcel in a room of parcels.

I've been in post offices all around the world and the people who work there are always the same. I'm telling ya man. Homo Postians are a breed apart.

User Info Menu

We don't have a formal DMV in my home town. We go to the county court house and pay taxes/license vehicles at the county Treasurer office. Extremely nice group of gals that work there. I can license or renew plates on my car in under 2 minutes. Unless, of course, you start a conversation about Husker football, religion, taxes or the weather.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Whether it's going for your license, registration, taxes, or anything run by the government, they are the only game in town.

Their game, their rules.

At least here where I live, the people are nice, easy to get along with, and call you sir. If you have to call any government office, you actually get a human being that answers the phone, is polite, and will take the time to explain any questions you might have.

I can live with that.
    That good old Southern hospitality I guess.

all the best...

User Info Menu

DMV is a shining example of why it's ludicrous that anyone is ever chronically unemployed.