Thread: new recording using electric set

User Info Menu

Default new recording using electric set

I recorded this song recently using my Alesis DM10X electronic kit. I recorded the ukulele with two condensor mics and DI for the guitar, keyboard and bass. The drums sound a little flat to me even after messing around with them as much as I could with garageband presets. Any recommendations on how to liven them up a little? As I said I am just using Garageband on the Mac for production. Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/pyllyfproductions/uke-jam-3

User Info Menu

Default Re: new recording using electric set

I feel the notes chosen for the bass line need to be rethought.

Sounded pretty good for doing it all yourself man.

User Info Menu

Let me start off by saying your music is very good and your composition is very nice. I really like the chordal progressions as well. Just curious. What panning rules did you go by? Also did you consider using any mid/ side plugins? Also did you quantize the tracks? As for eq'ing what frequencies did you cut on the drums prior to mixing? Did you use a compressor plugin on the drum buss and did you set up parallel compression track to mix back into the drum bus? With some of those questions answered I could give my opinion on what I would do.

User Info Menu

Don't have a clue about electronic drums but loved the music! Sounds awesome.
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    What panning rules did you go by? Also did you consider using any mid/ side plugins? Also did you quantize the tracks? As for eq'ing what frequencies did you cut on the drums prior to mixing? Did you use a compressor plugin on the drum buss and did you set up parallel compression track to mix back into the drum bus?
    Whaaaaaat?

I'd love to be able to do studio mix "stuff" like that but since I'm only slightly better than totally clueless about what you're talking about, I'll just say i'm digging the uke music!