Thread: Band recorded at the studio yesterday.

User Info Menu

Default Band recorded at the studio yesterday.

In spite of my ongoing TIA stroke recovery being stranger than I had anticipated, I agreed to drum for my band as we went off to the recording studio
    this past Saturday. We decided to record 5 covers. Luckily enough time was spent between the efforts that I was able to keep my pain levels down to "workable" and even none.
    Methods used were strange to us and I wondered if they were typical:
    1. Drums were fully mic'd, guitar amps fed directly to mix board
    2. Guitars and drums mixed and fed back to us via head phones
    (3. We were all in one studio, the only actual acoustic sound came from the drums, vocals to be recorded later.)
    4. Vocals were "mouthed" not sung.Good thing we had the covers memorized.
    5. Lead vocals were then sung and added to the best of 5 of each song.
    6. Backup vocals/harmonies then recorded.

Basically we played 25 songs, sang to 15.

Was this the typical procedure for a band's cd recording?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Band recorded at the studio yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    In spite of my ongoing TIA stroke recovery being stranger than I had anticipated, I agreed to drum for my band as we went off to the recording studio
    this past Saturday. We decided to record 5 covers. Luckily enough time was spent between the efforts that I was able to keep my pain levels down to "workable" and even none.
    (3. We were all in one studio, the only actual acoustic sound came from the drums, vocals to be recorded later.)

Not particularly unusual, especially in a small studio for just recording covers. They try to avoid bleed into the drum mics, which is why guitars are direct (also faster than playing around with mic/amp placement), and no singing. If you sang live, the vocals would be in the drums tracks which could complicate redoing them, backups, etc...

We've done it this way and sometimes we've done it with just me and the bassist recording, while the guitarists play and sing a scratch vocal track in the control room.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I've recorded numerous times and numerous studios and so many places like to do it different.
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 7pc PDP Concept Maple Classic | 5pc Sonor International | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone | 4pc Sonor Martini | 65 Snare drums and growing!

User Info Menu

Stupid question.....but why do bands record CD's? Do you sell them and make money? How much does it cost? Is it more to get your name out and gain exposure? I can see recording original stuff, but don't you need to pay royalties & stuff to record covers if you sell the recordings?
    I see a local bands host "new CD coming out" parties at various venues. We occasionally have people at gigs ask us if we have any CD's out...which baffles me. The only reason I could justify recording my band would be to make "free Demo" CD's to hand out to bar/club owners.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Not an unusual agenda.
    Drums are usually in a separate room. We mic the bass and guitars as well as run them through a direct box.
    We have the vocalist sing the lead track with us but don't intend to keep it.
    We ALWAYS get the drum tracks down first.................everything else is RE-DOABLE.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Stupid question.....but why do bands record CD's? Do you sell them and make money? How much does it cost? Is it more to get your name out and gain exposure? I can see recording original stuff, but don't you need to pay royalties & stuff to record covers if you sell the recordings?
    I see a local bands host "new CD coming out" parties at various venues. We occasionally have people at gigs ask us if we have any CD's out...which baffles me. The only reason I could justify recording my band would be to make "free Demo" CD's to hand out to bar/club owners.
    I've recorded originals and sold them at gigs.
    I've recorded cover demos and used them to get gigs.
    Never worried about royalties because we never sold covers.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yep, free demos are why we did it. Also it's the only opportunity for us to hear us play.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Yep, free demos are why we did it. Also it's the only opportunity for us to hear us play.
    That makes sense....so, what does something like that cost? At $350 per gig, I'm guessing it would take us a while to pay it off. I usually pull out my phone and play the bar owner some of our live gig videos from our FB page. The sound quality is not ideal, but I figure it gives them a realistic idea of what we're like on stage, how the crowd reacts, etc.. In my favorite "go to" video, you can hear the bartender in the background dumping out a trash can full of empty beer bottles. When it gets to that part, I usually chuckle and jokingly comment "the crowd sure drank a lot of beer..."
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That makes sense....so, what does something like that cost?
    There is a 24-track digital studio in a small town only 20 minutes from here that will give you the studio for a day for $500..................he likes to start at noon and we usually leave there between 8 and 10PM with a finished demo product...............we try to keep it to one or two songs, depending on the density and difficulty of the music.
    The studio house kit is a 70s vintage Ludwig 3-ply kit.............3-up, 1-down and it sounds terrific..............the engineer is an ex-drummer and he knows how to make this kit sound great.
    His brass sux so I take my own cymbals plus my pedals and throne.

We love to make a day of it -- we bring snacks, sandwiches, beer, vodka, whatever..............have a good time and walk out with a good demo.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

We had a studio we used that was a $500 5 demo song sorta deal. Basically you get to rough record all 5 songs then he will work with you on the mixing getting ready for mastering if you do that, otherwise good enough for demos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    There is a 24-track digital studio in a small town only 20 minutes from here that will give you the studio for a day for $500..................he likes to start at noon and we usually leave there between 8 and 10PM with a finished demo product...............we try to keep it to one or two songs, depending on the density and difficulty of the music.
    The studio house kit is a 70s vintage Ludwig 3-ply kit.............3-up, 1-down and it sounds terrific..............the engineer is an ex-drummer and he knows how to make this kit sound great.
    His brass sux so I take my own cymbals plus my pedals and throne.

We love to make a day of it -- we bring snacks, sandwiches, beer, vodka, whatever..............have a good time and walk out with a good demo.
    Hmmm..... Now that sounds like a lot of fun! We spend that much on our annual band party. It would be cool to see how good (or bad) we could sound on a recording.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Not unusual, though I've never been involved in anything done like that. My experience has been that each instrument and vocals are recorded separately then mixed.

Stupid question.....but why do bands record CD's
    Promotion. Usually the CD is part of a band's Promo Kit. Around here, if you don't have recorded songs that the buyers can listen to you're not going to get booked. For the most part, it's not even in CD form. You just give them the link to one of your band's website pages where they can listen to the recordings.

That makes sense....so, what does something like that cost?
    Last one I was a part of cost $1,500 for 6 songs.

User Info Menu

Hmmm..... Now that sounds like a lot of fun! It would be cool to see how good (or bad) we could sound on a recording.
    Better than you think, N2B.
    The studio is a fun project...........we make certain we have a memorable day.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian