Thread: What beaters to try?

User Info Menu

Default What beaters to try?

Hey all, I have an older double Flying Dragon pedal with the old-fashioned round felt beaters and I'm interested in trying something different just for fun.
    What's a good place to start if I've never tried anythig else?

Vickicks look like a very smart design (but pricey). I thought about Quad-beaters for the variety. Even the current Yamaha style might be interesting? I don't play metal so not really looking for hard plastic/wood though I am curious what they sound like. I'm a little dazed by all the options

Thanks!
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: What beaters to try?

You should try the new DW Sound control beaters. They were just released onto the market. They are almost the same ones they use on the MDD pedals.

They have so much adjustability and even comes with weights so you can change the weight and feel.

User Info Menu

Love my Vic Firth VKB1, Have had it for over 2 years now and just starting to show sign of wear.
    Last edited by MDK; 10-17-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I like these Sonor beaters. I use the plastic side.

User Info Menu

I've tried various beaters in a number of pedals.
    Most of the newer beaters don't feel right for me.............I even think some of them are a marketing gimmick.

I have recently returned to using the stock medium felt Yamaha beaters in a double Speed Cobra...............love it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Vintage bombers for me. haven't found anything i like more.

User Info Menu

Just a standard old, white, boring felt beater for me. I blaze with it!

User Info Menu

I use the DW medium felt beater on my DW 5000 pedal and for me the balance and rebound is just right. I tried various other beaters over the years but just didn't care for them. Of course ymmv ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 10-17-2016 at 06:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I like these Sonor beaters. I use the plastic side.

I love those beaters. Nice and light. I played them on a Gibraltar double pedal when I took lessons.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I predict you'll try a few for fun and eventually end up back where you started with the good ol' felt beater. It's a lot of fun trying new gear and when you finally land on what you really like, you get to play with comfort and confidence in your "gear of choice".

User Info Menu

I have recently returned to using the stock medium felt Yamaha beaters in a double Speed Cobra...............love it.[/QUOTE]

I'm using wood Danmar on my SC's. The stock beaters are worn out. I like the wood, been using them for many yr. Sometimes I like to change it up a bit. I was thinking the felt Damar's or Yamaha's might be a good choice. My IC single pedal beater has lasted a good long time, but the SC beater's wore out fast.

User Info Menu

I bought a pair of the wood beaters from LowBoy Beaters I'm surprised how much I just don't really care for them.. lots of trial and error.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the tips guys and gals!
    I went to the local shop and bought 2 felt Vickicks. There was a minor sale for a whopping $4 off (canadian) and I probably couldn't do much better by buying online once I factor the shipping & exchange rate. The store didn't have 2 of any other model in stock, so I took it as a sign. Came to $26 US + tax each but I get to try them tonight, no waiting for the mail. Hope they clear each other on my 9415! Stay tuned for my newbie review.
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

...And once again the newbie gets blown away. No problem with clearance on the Yamaha 9415. The Vickicks were slightly heavier than the old school felt beaters (I also set them a tad higher at first which didn't help). The sound was MUCH louder and clearer. Either orientation was cool and has a distinct sound, NOT as subtle as I expected. Overall it was too much volume for the rest of my kit, so I tightened up both heads a bit and dropped the beater heights to make the feel lighter (I try to have some dynamics on tap for a faux jazz sound, not just a cannon slamming your ear drums). I got it sounding really great. Actually every setting was great, just different. The flat side is fatter as advertised and the "radial" direction is more defined. Both very usable and I think with the EMAD rings there's some useful variety!

There was nothing wrong with my old school beaters but these are a big improvement IMO. Nobody seems to mention that the middle of these is maple but I can't tell how thick it is. So ya being a beginner I get excited over everything but this really appears like a well thought out design and well constructed too.

User Info Menu

I've wondered about the Vic Kicks. They look like they'd be good. Glad you like them. I'm afraid I'd I'll spend 50 bucks on beaters and not like them. That's a lot of cash to me.

User Info Menu

How often do you guys change or get a new bass drum beater? I have been using the same Speed King pedal for decades and it seems OK. Is there a reason to periodically get a new felt beater or not really?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roosto View Post
    How often do you guys change or get a new bass drum beater? I have been using the same Speed King pedal for decades and it seems OK. Is there a reason to periodically get a new felt beater or not really?
    I've only used two types of beaters my entire career, a wood one and a felt one. I went through a phase when I was young where I wanted more of that hard clicky type sound but the wood beater kept destroying my bass drum head, even with the protectors on them. So, when I became a Dave Weckl fan, I wanted to be more like him and I loved his bass drum sound. At the time, he was using a plain white beater (not sure what he's using now) so I changed to that and never looked back. I would be willing to bet that most drummers never change out their bass drum beater. I've had the shaft break a few times but otherwise, I don't change styles. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

User Info Menu

can't remember the last time I changed a beater. Probably when I got my IC double pedal about 8 years ago... I installed 2 wooden beaters in place of the stock ones. Now I want to change my beaters... lol
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    You should try the new DW Sound control beaters. They were just released onto the market. They are almost the same ones they use on the MDD pedals.

They have so much adjustability and even comes with weights so you can change the weight and feel.

I have a pair of these on my MDD's. Not overly impressed with them as the heads keep moving & the glue holding the felts in place is quite weak.
    The Varukers.