Thread: A good time was had by all....

User Info Menu

Default A good time was had by all....

My wife and daughters went to a show so that left my 7yr old and me on our own for a little bit on saturday. First question, "Dad, can we go to guitar center?"

So 30mins later we arrive at guitar center and he is just in heaven. They only have a few kits out, 2 acoustic, 4 electric and he's playing every single one of them over and over.

"Listen to these Custom A's dad!"
    "This snare bounces so much better than mine"
    "This one has a DW9000 kick pedal"

He liked the DW kit the best. We then went to the cymbal room where we tried all the different ones and just hearing the difference between them. "Dad, I've got $56.91, I can save more up and get that A crash!"

What a total blast and he has just a love for playing. I only played 2 guitars and 1 amp as I was having more fun hanging with him. We did buy some new drumsticks but that was it.

Great time for sure!

User Info Menu

Default Re: A good time was had by all....

He displays a strong curiosity and a good ear (different shells and cymbals) for a kid of 7..................above average.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

kids probably are the least biased people since they don't know anything about marketing of drums lol.

they just know what sounds good and bad. could you imagine a 7 year old being like "well i can really hear the dark tones of the mohagany plies in this 8ply 45 degree bearing edge shell". No, they just go, "i like this".
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

It was really cool to see him geek out so much on all the stuff. He would try the As and the ZHT next too it and make a funny face lol.

Yeah he doesn't really know which are the "best" in terms of tech info/manufacture process etc...but he can sure tell which ones feel best to him.

The acoustic sets were a DW and a Gretsch. The DW had nicer cymbals and hardware.

I'm a gearhead so I like really nice musical equipment, I'm just not as up with the drum stuff.

He love's playing and practicing and his drum teacher is having a blast with him because he just tries to hard to learn and practices and just generally loves it.

[commercial link removed - please see forum rules - Thx, Tom]

User Info Menu

Cherish those moments, they grow up so fast!

User Info Menu

You do realize that your 7yr old has already developed G.A.S.?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

that's awesome! I hope my little girl gets into music. If she plays drums that would be killer but if not as long as she does something musical. I'll teach her piano for sure.

User Info Menu

I love hitting GC with my son. The cymbal room is our favorite, and he also enjoys sitting at all the kits. Now my 6 year old says he wants to be a drummer too, so our trips will have another person involved.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

My daughters both had the opportunity of messing around with a tiny junky first act drum set but either of them "took" to it. My oldest plays bass, upright and just last night ordered a new electric (with her own money) and my middle plays cello. (she's not quite bit by the bug but likes to play)

Yeah he has GAS lol, wants to stop by pawn shops all the time to lol ever since we found a Neil Peart 8" Paragon Splash for $19.

I haven't ever forced my kids to play but they have been around me playing and in bands ever since they were born so they are very intuned to music.

User Info Menu

I've posted a few more responses to this thread waiting for mod approval, but thanks for the responses, I will try repost if they don't come through.

User Info Menu

Love this thread. Sounds like a great kid due to some great parenting.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Love this thread. Sounds like a great kid due to some great parenting.
    He is a good kid, actually all of my kids really are good kids (aside from music)

Just trying to teach them to be responsible respecting decent humans. Be humble and non-entitled. So hopefully they continue the path they are on!

The music part is just a blast. As a guitar player having a built in jamming parter is just awesome.