Thread: Your Kids' Music Interest

User Info Menu

Default Your Kids' Music Interest

Another thread here about the kid in the music store got me thinking of how we influence our kids musically.

My daughter remembers my gigs when she was a very small child.
    I was gigging with a band at that time that did very well with corporate and private gigs for a good amount of money.............nice work when you can get it...............that band lasted 12 years. My wife and kid would attend certain parties as guests.

When she was about 7 years old, I bought my daughter an electronic keyboard............nothing expensive but a nice medium quality keyboard that would keep her interest.
    She fiddled with it but never got interested in it enough to want to take lessons.
    At 9 years old she was introduced to theater and really took to that...........she loved performing in plays and became pretty good at it when we found her a mentor. She got good enough at acting that she was working in the local theaters when she was in junior high and high school.
    She took drama and dancing lessons and became enthralled with musical theater..............she learned blocking, script-writing, choreography, directing, etc. During the summer after her senior year, I got us both enrolled at the University of Miami dept. of music taking music theory on-line. I had taken all that before in music school but it had been many years so I thought it would be a good class for both of us...............she loved it and learned so much about reading and writing music...............I was surprised at how much of it I remembered.

After high school she went to the University of Texas - Austin and got bachelors degrees in English and Theater. She is now in her fourth semester of graduate school working on a Master of Teaching degree at Texas State in San Marcos. She will graduate next May.

Her goal is to be a musical theater teacher in middle or high school.
    I know she will be very good at it.

I guess the moral of this story is to encourage your kids to love music at every opportunity -- you never know what will stick.
    All kids need a rounded education that includes the arts -- they don't get enough at the schools these days.

I still have that keyboard.............I use it to figure out keys and certain passages to songs and, when I get productive, to write originals.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Your Kids' Music Interest

I'm very excited to get my daughter started in music. She's only 4 months old right now but pretty soon i'll let her slam away at the drums and hopefully get her to tickle the ivories

User Info Menu

Anything that helps them develop as people, I encourage. My sons have tried baseball, soccer, basketball, and martial arts. Some of it has stuck (Basketball and judo with older son, baseball and judo with younger son). I am really hoping drumming sticks with both as well as it will be one more thing we can share together.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

It definitely has been a lot of fun with my 3 kids watching them grow and love music.

My oldest, 15, plays the upright bass in orchestra, just bought a new electric bass with her own money last night. She is going to play some at church with me soon.

My middle plays cello, likes it but isn't bitten yet with playing.

My son, well he's in full on GAS mode and absolutely loves playing. There is always music happening at our house all the time.

User Info Menu

I agree. There are tests that show music helps develop certain brain and thought processes. In addition, it provides total life enrichment.....emotional, social and even financial in some cases. My oldest son loves music, but quit the violin after only the first year. Even still, he spends all his free time going to concerts and music festivals. My youngest son became a pretty darn good trumpet player and then taught himself guitar, mandolin and violin. Hes talking about joining a band after he graduates high school this spring.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

My son was a drummer and now my 9 year old granddaughter has been playing for 4 years......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

My stepson played guitar in high school did a few school shows and fizzled out. My mother in law bought him a new guitar with all the works. Last I heard he tried to pawn it and they wouldn't take it. My niece showed interest in drums and keyboard. I told her mother I would buy her a Jr set and start lessons,her mom said no. We were able to compromise with a keyboard, saved me some money and bought her a $50 keyboard. Her mom didn't keep her part of the bargain and I haven't seen it for 10 years. Ironically her older brother took an interest in drums as well and his dad bought him a drum set from a co-worker for $100. He was playing in the garage until his mom threatened to run it over, he's now playing on the patio. He's been playing for about 5 years and is in a 3pc band. His mom has softened over the years recognizing that he wants to play music and keeps him out of trouble.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    My stepson played guitar in high school did a few school shows and fizzled out. My mother in law bought him a new guitar with all the works. Last I heard he tried to pawn it and they wouldn't take it. My niece showed interest in drums and keyboard. I told her mother I would buy her a Jr set and start lessons,her mom said no. We were able to compromise with a keyboard, saved me some money and bought her a $50 keyboard. Her mom didn't keep her part of the bargain and I haven't seen it for 10 years. Ironically her older brother took an interest in drums as well and his dad bought him a drum set from a co-worker for $100. He was playing in the garage until his mom threatened to run it over, he's now playing on the patio. He's been playing for about 5 years and is in a 3pc band. His mom has softened over the years recognizing that he wants to play music and keeps him out of trouble.
    I find it sad when people discourage kids from playing or make it un-fun. The ones that really love it seem to persevere.

I've talked with countless parents who cringe and don't like hearing their kids learn instruments. We encourage it like no other in our house. Heck most of the time I'm getting in trouble for sneaking off and jamming with them instead of things I should be getting done.

User Info Menu

My wife and I are trying to invest heavily in music for our 3 kids (age 5-9). FWIW we met while studying music many moons ago and she continues to teach at the university level while I became an engineer. She also gets small gigs singing at weddings or funerals.

We know lots of pro musicians and that you need to start kids early for the best chance of success. We are realistic and know that they might not stick to music as a career choice but we want to open up that possibility for them. Right now we bring all 3 to music lessons every Saturday, which lasts from 11:30-3:30. There are breaks in between and not all kids have something at all times, but it's an excellent program designed for each age group. The older 2 get violin lessons and there are therory classes. We can barely afford this and every so often I wish I could have my Saturdays free. Like I said, this is a hefty investment that may or may not pay off.

One thing's for sure: these kids WILL learn music whether they appreciate it or not! There is a HUGE difference between high art and lowest-common-denominator art (ie. the current pop which is getting worse all the time). Here's hopng they will at least know the difference.
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Personal Opinion:

Leave the kids alone. If they are going to play something, they will find it, and they will learn how to play it.

It's the old "You can lead a horse to water" thing.

User Info Menu

My father's side of the family were most all entertainers/musicians.

I picked up a love of music at an early age.

My son, who was as exposed as possible, showed no interest in playing.

My grandsons....no interest.

We did however just find a 23 YO bass player for our band. I LOVE to see youngsters playing music, especially R&R