Thread: Tom angles, setup

User Info Menu

Default Tom angles, setup

Do you guys prefer more tilted toms or more upright?

I have my sons tilted back towards him, mainly because he's not quite big enough to have them more upright.

Is there a "right" way or just a preference? I don't want him forming too many bad drumming habits yet lol.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom angles, setup

Whatever works is good. As your son grows, the tilt of the toms may get shallower.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Whatever works is good. As your son grows, the tilt of the toms may get shallower.
    Great thanks for the response!

He currently has 2 toms, and 1 floor.

It looks like there is a new trend towards 1 up and 2 down, or maybe I'm just paying attention to it more.

User Info Menu

Too much tilt may cause him to put dents in the heads. It's due to the angle the stick strikes the head. The more perpendicular to the head your stick motion is, the better (in theory). I find if my toms are too flat, I tend to hit the rim with the stick body. I like to start flat then add just enough angle to keep from hitting the rim and to facilitate easy movement around the kit.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have two up and one down as well and mine are tilted about 30 degrees. I have short arms so I need everything pulled in.

User Info Menu

it really depends on the drumset and the tom sizes... with my new PorkPie kit and my PDP they are shallow depth toms so I have them flat like the snare drum. On my Yamaha I can't do that they sit way to high/tall so I have to angle them. Same with my sonor and Orbitone kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blowery View Post
    It looks like there is a new trend towards 1 up and 2 down, or maybe I'm just paying attention to it more.
    Tom angle is simply a preference.

One-up, two-down allows the drummer to place the ride cymbal in the traditional position.............I love that configuration.

You can re-configure your kit by getting one of the appropriate Tama clamps and moving the middle tom to the first FT position.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

thanks again for the responses.

I'm sure he will start to decide which one he likes.

Yeah these toms are a bit to tall to set them up more straight so angled for now. I do like the looks of 1 up 2 down and moving the ride and it would put it closer to him. I make look into that Tama clamps and try that.

I'll have to show him your Pork Pie custom Spaz, he loves Pork Pie drums.

User Info Menu

^sounds like a good kid!

I took some photos with my actually camera.
    I haven't had a chance to upload them.
    Maybe I'll do that late tonight.

User Info Menu

This how I typically set my toms and ride on a 5-piece kit.

User Info Menu

My 4-piece portable rig (that I gave to my grandson) Has a traditional ride placement, but the tom angle is pretty much the same.

User Info Menu

I have mine angled a little bit. Not too much
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Hippy Chip,
    That looks about like how his are setup so I haven't done too bad as a guitar player getting this right!

thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

One-up, two-down allows the drummer to place the ride cymbal in the traditional position.............I love that configuration.

You can re-configure your kit by getting one of the appropriate Tama clamps and moving the middle tom to the first FT position.
    Exactly. I think more drummers are realizing having the ride in a more 'convenient' position is more important than the mid tom. Also, it seems to give you more room for your cymbals...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blowery View Post
    Do you guys prefer more tilted toms or more upright?

I have my sons tilted back towards him, mainly because he's not quite big enough to have them more upright.

Is there a "right" way or just a preference? I don't want him forming too many bad drumming habits yet lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    My 4-piece portable rig (that I gave to my grandson) Has a traditional ride placement, but the tom angle is pretty much the same.
    Like mentioned, it's a preference.
    I've utilized the 2nd tom position for the ride with a boom arm mounted in the bass drum tom holder. I have a slight angle on the tom and floor tom myself also.

Last edited by Olimpass; 10-22-2016 at 07:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Whatever feels comfortable and allows you to strike the drum head correctly.

User Info Menu

I also agree with the above comments......more flatter, more better. Its going to be hard at a younger age until he grows a bit.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey