Thread: Hi-hat moving

User Info Menu

Default Hi-hat moving

The hi-hat (cheapie) seems to move a lot. Could be his method of playing, but it is on a carpet. It starts sliding forward.

Is this just a by-product of a cheaper stand?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi-hat moving

cheap light weight stand with bad feet. Does it have any spikes on it? My DW has spikes that help.

Also does the bottom have a plate or super cheap little support bars? The piece under the foot board. If it's a flat plate you can add Velcro strips so it sticks to the carpet.

User Info Menu

Get a loop of chain and hitch it around the pedal and around your seat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlayOtters View Post
    Get a loop of chain and hitch it around the pedal and around your seat.
    wow that doesn't sound ghetto....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    wow that doesn't sound ghetto....
    Call it whatever you want . Back in the day that's how I kept my "cheap" stuff from creeping . Did the same thing to my "cheap" kick drum too . And in spite of that I still got that high profile gig everyone was after . Me and my "ghetto" kit ! Don't knock it if it works . Not all of us can afford top of the line stuff right out the bat and you do what it takes to move forward .

User Info Menu

If it has a spike, you can adjust it so it digs into the carpet. I'm assuming yours doesn't because it would've been pretty obvious. I put a few velcro straps on my kick pedal so it sticks to the carpet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

No spike on this hi-hat. It's a cheapie for sure. No plate either.

I found a DW3000 hi-hat stand, but not sure at $80 if thats a good price or not.
    He has an old single chain DW5000 for kick that works good.

Really need to update the cymbals as most of them are junk.

I may try the velcro or see if I can make a stopper of some sort.

thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

If you're handy, you may be able to drill & tap a hole in the base. Then, sharpen the end of a bolt or screw. That's basically how most are made. You could also drill a hole in the underside of the base and pound a small roll pin in it....just leave about 1/8" sticking out to act as a hook to grab into the drum rug.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If you're handy, you may be able to drill & tap a hole in the base. Then, sharpen the end of a bolt or screw. That's basically how most are made. You could also drill a hole in the underside of the base and pound a small roll pin in it....just leave about 1/8" sticking out to act as a hook to grab into the drum rug.
    If you go with this option, make sure the spike doesn't go too deep. When I first started playing the drums I used a foam mat under the kit. The bolt went right through and destroyed that part of my hardwood floor. I only noticed it when I finally had to move my drums when I got a real mat.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

jedi I meant no offense to what I said if you took it that way.

I've never heard of someone doing this before is all.
    But hey if the shoe fits.. wear it right?
    If the solution works.. use it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    If you go with this option, make sure the spike doesn't go too deep. When I first started playing the drums I used a foam mat under the kit. The bolt went right through and destroyed that part of my hardwood floor. I only noticed it when I finally had to move my drums when I got a real mat.
    Good point. It doesn't need to stick down very far. With the screw you could retract it. On my HH stand you can adjust the legs so the "stirrup" is barely touching or even off the ground.

I never thought about finished wood floors, LOL. I suppose the same could happen with the spiked tips on the bass drum spurs. Makes me wonder how many bar room floors I've damaged during gigs.....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If you play on carpeting, get a long strip or several small ones of velcro that will fit the flat part of the stand base, or the heel of the foot board and attach them. That'll keep it from sliding.

A word of caution: It makes it a bit of a challenge to move it once it gets set.

Edited to include Velcro. I forgot the Velcro....
    Last edited by Bish; 10-21-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Great responses!
    I will take a look at it and see what I can rig up for now until we upgrade.

thanks!