Thread: Ludwig Drumset

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Drumset

Hey,

I’ve been playing Gretsch drums for my entire drumming career. I’m a big Stones fan so Charlie Watts was a big influence on me in my formative years and he’s a big Gretsch-head. I’m thinking about updating my kit but for some reason I have not been able to find a modern Gretsch kit that has the sound and feel that I’m looking for. I think it might be time to go off-reservation and try out a different brand of thunder beaters.

I’ve been looking online at drum-kits for sale - http://www.for-sale.com/vintage-ludwig - and I’m drawn towards the Ludwig Legacy Maples or the exotic black linba. Mostly because I am also a huge Bonham fan.

The only slight thing that is putting me off is that it seems like some people have had issues with Ludwig gear in terms of quality. What is the general consensus here about Ludwig drums and the Legacy Maples in particular? Should I go off-piste and branch out into the Ludwigs or stay true to the Grestch’s. Any advice from people who have used the Ludwigs would be gratefully received.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JakeBonham; 10-24-2016 at 09:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Drumset

My most recent purchase was a Keystone series kit about 3 years ago. No issues with quality or anything else. That's all I've got for you.

User Info Menu

Charlie is one of my favorites as well. I believe he also played an old Slingerland RK kit when on tour in Europe (?) I'm guessing you're looking for that older 3ply w/rings and rounded edges sound? What about the Gretsch Broadcaster kit?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm also a Gretsch guy, but Ludwig will always be my next choice if I bought new drums. Somehow I can't imagine any over riding quality issues. These guys have been making drums for over a century.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I personally would stay Gretsch over Ludwig

User Info Menu

In 1973 I bought a set of Ludwig 3-ply shells...............were not called Legacy back then............I guess they actually were the legacy.
    They were excellent drums -- I gigged them for 4 years.

I confess I traded them in on a new set of custom ordered Gretsch USA shells......and I'm still gigging with those.

I like both.

You really cannot go wrong with top-shelf-pro-level shells that are made in the USA.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeBonham View Post
    Hey,

I’ve been playing Gretsch drums for my entire drumming career. I’m a big Stones fan so Charlie Watts was a big influence on me in my formative years and he’s a big Gretcsh-head. I’m thinking about updating my kit but for some reason I have not been able to find a modern Gretsch kit that has the sound and feel that I’m looking for. I think it might be time to go off-reservation and try out a different brand of thunder beaters.

I’ve been looking online at drum-kits for sale and checking reviews and I’m drawn towards the Ludwig Legacy Maples or the exotic black linba. Mostly because I am also a huge Bonham fan.

The only slight thing that is putting me off is that it seems like some people have had issues with Ludwig gear in terms of quality. What is the general consensus here about Ludwig drums and the Legacy Maples in particular? Should I go off-piste and branch out into the Ludwigs or stay true to the Grestch’s. Any advice from people who have used the Ludwigs would be gratefully received.

Thanks!
    Really digging that kit especially with the finished drum hoops. A+
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Never had a problem with ludwig. That's a beautiful finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

That's a beautiful kit!

By the way, Charlie Watts started playing Gretsch drums in 1968 or 1969. If you look at photos of him at shows previous to 1968, he played Ludwigs. Usually it was a sky blue pearl set of super classics.
    Last edited by drummer5359; 10-26-2016 at 01:10 PM.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I have two Ludwig kits . A five piece three ply made in 1972 and a 1989 6 ply maple kit made in Monroe Indiana . The 72's I got off of Craigslist and had to do extensive work to get them gig ready . The kit had sat in a shed with half a roof and no door for years and the glue rings were starting to separate . Both kits are very gig worthy . I did update the hardware to the new Atlas mounts only because the old Modular mounts that came on the 89's were missing parts and I just wasn't up to going on a treasure hunt to keep them "vintage" . Same thing with the 72's and those parts were more expensive to replace than the new stuff . I have not had any problems with the new hardware . I gig with these kits .... that's why I got them . I don't have anything that I keep as some museum piece . All my kits have to carry their weight...earn their keep .
    I don't see how you would have any problems with the new stuff . That's a beautiful kit you are looking at . Good luck..I hope you get them .

User Info Menu

You really cannot go wrong with top-shelf-pro-level shells that are made in the USA.
    This has been my mantra all along. Add Any line of upper Zildjian Cymbals, and you're ready to play anything, anywhere, with anybody.

all the best...