Thread: Small bass drum but big sound

User Info Menu

Default Small bass drum but big sound

I stopped in at GC today and heard a gentleman playing on a Ludwig breakbeat. At first I thought someone was playing on a big kit when I first went in. The 16" bass drum really surprised me the sound was incredible. To be honest the 16" bass drum sounded better than my 22" bass drum. Of course they had a evans e-mad head on it. I would also like to add that the Ludwig breakbeat and the sonor safari both are made of poplar wood. Which is a very light American wood. Guess you could say it all in the drum heads and tuning. That is why I like playing the small drum kits.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Small bass drum but big sound

that E-Mad is a beast of a head. I have it on 3 of my bass drums and they are like thunder and my snare is the lightning strike!

User Info Menu

I installed the special EMAD batter and EQ reso head (made for steel FT hoops) on my 16" kick drum conversion. Also, I put a 4" port hole dead center on the reso. It really turned it into a nice, beefy, traditional sounding bass...as opposed to a floor Tom. I think the EMAD is particularly well suited to small diameter bass drums.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I used to be a die hard sk2 fan. I tried an emad a few years ago. I'm now a die hard emad fan
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I just ordered the Evans emad for my 16" fl tom . It should be here sometime this next week.

Gregg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I installed the special EMAD batter and EQ reso head (made for steel FT hoops) on my 16" kick drum conversion. Also, I put a 4" port hole dead center on the reso. It really turned it into a nice, beefy, traditional sounding bass...as opposed to a floor Tom. I think the EMAD is particularly well suited to small diameter bass drums.
    Don't understand why there's no Emad for 18". I'd be very interested in it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Not sure. Guess 18" is just not popular enough. My new SPL Bop kit has an 18". Previous owner installed a Powerstroke 3. Once I installed a Powerstroke reso, I'm pretty happy with it. It's not great but it's not bad. I still need to add a port to the reso.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Not sure. Guess 18" is just not popular enough. My new SPL Bop kit has an 18". Previous owner installed a Powerstroke 3. Once I installed a Powerstroke reso, I'm pretty happy with it. It's not great but it's not bad. I still need to add a port to the reso.
    Truth to tell. I'm happy with mine also. I have an Aquarian Performance II clear batter and a Fiber-Skyn reso with small kick port.

Just curious about Emad cause of all the raving about them on this forum.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Don't understand why there's no Emad for 18". I'd be very interested in it.

all the best...
    I had found an 18" Emad for my groove percussion bop kit 18" bass drum and they are still available.
    They didn't have a 16" awhile back when I wanted one but they have them now.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 10-24-2016 at 07:48 PM.

User Info Menu

How does the eMad compare to the Remo Powerstroke 3 head?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I had found an 18" Emad for my groove percussion bop kit 18" bass drum and they are still available.
    They didn't have a 16" awhile back when I wanted one but they have them now.
    Always the story of my life! Same thing happened to me,when I bought my safari kit when they first came out !8" was the smallest they had so I bought one and a 16" clear g1 I believe. I took the dampner ring off the 18" emad and took the adhesive tape off and placed it on the 16" head and cut it down to size to fit the 16" head.I used some really good double sided tape (thin).I was desperate,what can I say. It works good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    How does the eMad compare to the Remo Powerstroke 3 head?
    Technically/construction/design wise or sound wise?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Always the story of my life! Same thing happened to me,when I bought my safari kit when they first came out !8" was the smallest they had so I bought one and a 16" clear g1 I believe. I took the dampner ring off the 18" emad and took the adhesive tape off and placed it on the 16" head and cut it down to size to fit the 16" head.I used some really good double sided tape (thin).I was desperate,what can I say. It works good!
    Nice Work!

User Info Menu

Technically/construction/design wise or sound wise?
    Sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    On my 22" Maxwin, I took one of the extra foam rings from an EMAD (they come with an extra) and stuffed it under the outer control ring of a Powerstroke head. It works fantastic. Basically an EMAD with the foam on the inside of he drum. Plus, you don't have to worry about the "stick-on" retaining ring falling off.
    Somewhere I still have another extra 22" EMAD ring. I thought about doing the same on my new 18" with a Powerstroke head. Another thought was to try one of those Remo foam trays that sandwich between the head and bearing edge. I'm cheap like that.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Sound
    My opinion- I find the Powerstroke to have almost the perfect balance of control and sustain for my taste. The EMAD has slightly more "control". If you're after that solid "Thwack" with JUST enough sustain that it doesn't sound like a paper bag, then the EMAD is a good choice. I suppose it mostly depends on tuning.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

hmm. Maybe I'll just stick with what I have. It sounds really good to me. Admittedly, I do have a small pillow inside. Never could cotton on to the entirely wide open bass sound.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Saw a clinic where Steve Smith used his Jungle Kit. I was really impressed with the sound. Went to the stage to check it out afterward. Smith came by, and explained how he set it up. Coated Emp batter, stock front. Felt strips front and rear. No hole, no laundry. Said you can't afford to lose air volume in that small a drum. And, play off the head, don't bury the beater. Tried it on my Manu Katche set, and have played it that way since.
    https://youtu.be/M8Z0nZUZSuA
    Last edited by bdonley; 10-28-2016 at 12:04 PM.