Thread: adding toms

User Info Menu

Default adding toms

hey everyone, so I've got a good deal on a few toms (12, 12 and 13) to add to my kit, the question is how do I add them? what do I need to mount them on my kit?

User Info Menu

Default Re: adding toms

When I add other toms to my set, I use snare stands.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC fred , first what brand/size kit do you presently have. Does it have a virgin bass or tom mounted. Like Rick mentioned snare stands are good to use for extra toms if they can't be mounted on bass drum. You could also use cymbal/tom mounting brackets. You mention 2 12 toms and 1 13 why would you want to mount 2 12 unless I am reading it wrong.

User Info Menu

I want to cut them down to 8 and 6 inches to get a different sound (I only paid 10$ each so no big loss if it doesn't work out)

at the moment I have a vintage royce (cheap quality) drum set, the toms are mounted on the bass drum.
    I just put some new skins on the drums and the sound isn't that bad, but then again I'm only starting out in drumming, I'm getting new zildjan cymbals tomorrow, in a year or so I'm planning on replacing the drums to have something better (hopefully I'll be getting better as well)

User Info Menu

Understandable man. Welcome to the drum world.

User Info Menu

Mount them anyway you'd like... you can buy STM brackets and put them on a cymbal stand too.

I assume they have some kind of tom mount on them.
    Find an arm now and buy a bracket to connect to a stand and boom done.

User Info Menu

I got a bracket that attaches to my cymbal boom stand that I used to mount my 8 inch tom

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

If the toms have brackets, just get an arm that fits those. If not, you can use a suspension mount for that, then attach that to a tom arm. Either way, you will also need a clamp to attach to a cymbal stand, or you could get a double tom stand for them.
    As far as cutting them down, the shell depth will make a difference (I assume they are 12"x10" now then if you're making a 12"x8"?) but it won't be drastic except maybe the 12"x6"...