Thread: More versatile ride??

User Info Menu

Default More versatile ride??

I've had my 21" Sabian HH Raw Bell Dry Ride for almost as long as I've been drumming. I've had other rides come and go over time, but would never even consider getting rid of the RBDR. I love the dryness, the darkness, and the lack of too much ring. And the bell is AMAZING! It's worked for me in everything I've played. However, all I've ever really played is rock. Different avenues of rock, but always rock.

Now I'm starting to get into playing some jazz drums, and I'm finding the dryness of my RBDR ride just doesn't sound right for jazz. I've experimented and used my 18" Sabian HHX Evolution crash as a ride when playing jazz, and it actually sounds really nice. I'm considering another ride cymbal, but I would like something that would work for both rock and jazz. Does such a ride exist?
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Default Re: More versatile ride??

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I've had my 21" Sabian HH Raw Bell Dry Ride for almost as long as I've been drumming. I've had other rides come and go over time, but would never even consider getting rid of the RBDR. I love the dryness, the darkness, and the lack of too much ring. And the bell is AMAZING! It's worked for me in everything I've played. However, all I've ever really played is rock. Different avenues of rock, but always rock.

Now I'm starting to get into playing some jazz drums, and I'm finding the dryness of my RBDR ride just doesn't sound right for jazz. I've experimented and used my 18" Sabian HHX Evolution crash as a ride when playing jazz, and it actually sounds really nice. I'm considering another ride cymbal, but I would like something that would work for both rock and jazz. Does such a ride exist?
    I own quite a few rides (16 and counting)including that HH dry you have.
    A cheap and very nice sounding jazz ride is the Sabian 20 inch XS.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAyqnIU01kg
    You need to play a few as there can be some differences in the wash and tone,but it is a very nice ride.
    I have a 20 Manhattan HH and it's OK ,but way too washy at times.
    Last edited by pgm554; 10-28-2016 at 01:26 AM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

There is so much to choose from and of course it's a matter of preference but I love the Zildjian 50's hollow block letter stamp rides.

User Info Menu

Zildjian A's 21 Sweet ride is a great crash/ride for just about any genre of music. I bought mine back in the 70's and have used mostly for like you rock, classic rock and some Jazz. Great cymbal.

User Info Menu

What about a Paiste 2002? There was a heavy Jazz influence in much of the rock from the '60s
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I bought a 1973 "A" Zildjian 22-inch heavy ride new in 1973.

I've tried dozens of other ride cymbals over the years looking for something BETTER.............still haven't found it..............still playing the same ride 43 years later.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

if you like the evolution crash, try the evolution ride.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

After a two year search for my perfect ride, I found the Zildjan K Hybrid 20". I play pop, jazz, broadway, and it's perfect for me. It has a great stick sound, excellent bell. The lathed part has a different sound than the hammered part so you can play with different colors that way. And it's crashable, so sometimes I can leave an extra cymbal and stand at home, which I really like. My only complaint is that it has a pretty long sustain after a crash so I find myself having to mute it more when the rest of the group drops down dynamically. Also, it's gorgeous to look at.

My second choice would have been the Meinl Soundfusion Hybrid 20", which has a lot of the same characteristics as the K but to my ear came in second place.
    Last edited by JohnnySticks; 10-28-2016 at 05:07 PM.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

+1 on the Sweet Ride
    +1 on the 50's ride
    I've had so many rides over the years and have settled on a 21" Sweet ride (2014) and a 50's era light ride. The light ride does jazz and singer-song writer better than anything else I've found but the Sweet Ride coves more ground.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    +1 on the Sweet Ride
    +1 on the 50's ride
    I've had so many rides over the years and have settled on a 21" Sweet ride (2014) and a 50's era light ride. The light ride does jazz and singer-song writer better than anything else I've found but the Sweet Ride coves more ground.

23" sweet ride

User Info Menu

I appreciate all the replies. I know, of course, it's a matter of personal preference.

After reading Natman's post about the "Promark Sizzler", it dawned on me that I have a drum key hanging on a chain (a ceiling fan pull-chain type of thing) that might be just the thing to add some sparkle to my dry ride. Before I go any further in cymbal shopping, I'm going to give that a try.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

The HHX Evolution ride is very versatile. If you like the crash, the ride is similar, though in my experience it's slightly drier (as it should be)...but you can still crash it easily.
    If you're not concerned about brands, Meinl has a lot of really nice rides in their Byzance line. Specifically, Byzance Extra Dry Thin and Transition rides and several in the Byzance Jazz line.

User Info Menu

Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials 22" Ride.

Perfect.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

+1 on the 21" sweet ride...

User Info Menu

I'll put in a vote for the 22" Zildjian Constantinople. Only had it a few weeks but I've already taken it through many different genre's worth of gigs and it has sounded prime for each and every one. I'm a huge, huge fan!
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isaacvining View Post
    I'll put in a vote for the 22" Zildjian Constantinople. Only had it a few weeks but I've already taken it through many different genre's worth of gigs and it has sounded prime for each and every one. I'm a huge, huge fan!
    I would have thought your Sand Ride would be more versatile.

BackStreetDrums Guest

You will always get as many opinions as there are cymbals. I could only reply with my transition.

Been playing 50+ years, all jazz. Have used over time all the big 4 (Zildjian, Byzance, Istanbul, and the jazz king, Bosphorus).

9 months ago I made the switch, out of boredom and curiosity, to Paiste. Paiste to me has always been a 'sleeper'. In all my years, never considered them.
    Now, all I do is recommend them.

I have a vintage 602-flat 20", a 24" Giant Beat with rivets, a 20" Big beat and 18" used for a crash...and some 505 15" Hats.
    Paiste does wonders with B8. In all my years, never thought B8 could sound so go, but again, only Paiste has it right.
    Some of the Great Jazzers played Paiste. From Blakely to Morello and beyond.
    Their master series are more Jazz oriented, but I feel good with what I have. These, no doubt will carry me out

User Info Menu

I agree with the HHX Evolution Ride because that is the ride I own. I also have much experience with the Sabian AA 21" Bash Ride, the best ride I have ever played. It is at the church where I play. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army