Thread: Your Most Used Effects Cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Your Most Used Effects Cymbals?

What are your most used effects cymbals? I'm a big fan of china and splash cymbals
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Your Most Used Effects Cymbals?

i'm looking into getting some meinl splashes, either the extra dry splash or the vintage sand splash.

otherwise, my china is prob the most used 'effects' cymbal, but i don't use it all too often.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I beat the snot out of my China's I love them.

But I also love my XS O=zone cymbal

User Info Menu

Zildjian EFX - trashy but not as harsh as a china. Very little attack and lots of white noise.

User Info Menu

My only effects cymbal is my 2002 18" China Type. Really like it a lot.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Never really got into splashes. Instead, I've been using a Zildjian A 12" thin crash for a splash-like effect for the last 20 years or so. Good thing about this cymbal is that you can also use it for subtle crash effects alone or in combination with other crashes.

I used Chinas for years but recently abandoned them for a Wuhan Linear Smash about a year ago. Same thing as the O-Zone type cymbals but way cheaper. It too is a multi-effect cymbal - can be used as a china like trash effect but also as a trash crash/ride.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 10-29-2016 at 02:14 PM.

User Info Menu

^i feel any cymbal under 14" is considered a "splash" to me.
    So a 12" would be a large splash lol

User Info Menu

Most of my cymbals are effects...
    currently: 1 splash (with holes in it), 4 different cymbal stacks, a mini china with jingles in it, a Factory Metal cross crasher...and then a few normal cymbals too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^i feel any cymbal under 14" is considered a "splash" to me.
    So a 12" would be a large splash lol
    Ok, I'll compromise ... crash splash ...

But ... it doesn't sound like the typical splash at all. It has a wide, uniform spread like a small thin crash does ... not an in-your-face pe-owww like a splash ...

User Info Menu

I have an 11" thin splash that i dont use much. Found out recently, when a friend that knows Zildjian history and stamping details was over, that it dates back to the 1930's. I paid $25 for it several years ago and I was going to get rid of it but now I think I'll keep it just because of it's history - dang thing is 80 ears old and still sounds real good.

User Info Menu

8" splash and a 16" China, both great cymbals had them for 16 years. I have also beat the tar out of them and still holding up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I have an 11" thin splash that i dont use much. Found out recently, when a friend that knows Zildjian history and stamping details was over, that it dates back to the 1930's. I paid $25 for it several years ago and I was going to get rid of it but now I think I'll keep it just because of it's history - dang thing is 80 ears old and still sounds real good.
    Wow! That's a steal! I imagine even though it's a small cymbal it'd be worth quite a lot more than what you paid considering its age.

User Info Menu

At some point someone drilled it for two rivets. That probably killed any collector value and accounts for how I get it so cheap. Sounds great though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Ok, I'll compromise ..... it doesn't sound like the typical splash at all. It has a wide, uniform spread like a small thin crash does ... not an in-your-face pe-owww like a splash ...
    I have an excellent Zildjian "A" 12-inch splash that I use as a small crash.
    It sounds terrific.

I had a 10-inch "A" years ago and I thought it was a bit too small/fragile.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I use my 10" & 12" Wuhan splashes ALL the time. In fact, as much or more than regular crashes. They work very well in small venues and low volume or acoustic stuff. You get the full crash sound at low volume. The Wuhan's also have a darker sound with overtones that gives them more of a full sized sound. One very small place we play at always posts videos of bands there. Everyone else uses 16" to 18" medium/heavy crashes and has to hit them so softly that they never "open up". Nothing sucks all the energy out of a song like cymbals that go "tink", LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I use my 10" & 12" Wuhan splashes ALL the time. In fact, as much or more than regular crashes. They work very well in small venues and low volume or acoustic stuff. You get the full crash sound at low volume. The Wuhan's also have a darker sound with overtones that gives them more of a full sized sound. One very small place we play at always posts videos of bands there. Everyone else uses 16" to 18" medium/heavy crashes and has to hit them so softly that they never "open up". Nothing sucks all the energy out of a song like cymbals that go "tink", LOL.
    This.^^^^

A slash is just a small crash. In fact to me, a cymbal is a cymbal regardless of size and any cymbal can be used for any application desired.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I have an excellent Zildjian "A" 12-inch splash that I use as a small crash.
    It sounds terrific.

I had a 10-inch "A" years ago and I thought it was a bit too small/fragile.
    Yes, those 12-inch A's are truly versatile and sound magical in any context IMO ... and I feel the same way about anything smaller than a 12-inch ...

User Info Menu

10" Wuhan splash. A lot thinner and darker than the 8". Not really a fan of the 8". It doesn't blend with anything I have. The 10" sounds beautiful though. The pitch deepened drastically since I bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    10" Wuhan splash. A lot thinner and darker than the 8". Not really a fan of the 8". It doesn't blend with anything I have. The 10" sounds beautiful though. The pitch deepened drastically since I bought it.
    The 10" is definitely thin. The edges on mine have started to roll up like a China. I'm guessing it's due to top-side tension and the paper thin construction...but it still hasn't cracked after 2 years. I recently got a used 12" Wuhan splash for free with a used drum kit. The 12" is a nice transition between a splash and crash. It sounds a lot like the 10" but with a little more "meat" and volume. Using the 10" splash, 12" splash, 14" medium crash and 18" crash/ride (all Wuhan) really makes the perfect setup with my Bop kit for low volume gigs. If I want a cleaner/dryer ride, I use my 18" Zildjian A medium ride.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    The 10" is definitely thin. The edges on mine have started to roll up like a China. I'm guessing it's due to top-side tension and the paper thin construction...but it still hasn't cracked after 2 years. I recently got a used 12" Wuhan splash for free with a used drum kit. The 12" is a nice transition between a splash and crash. It sounds a lot like the 10" but with a little more "meat" and volume. Using the 10" splash, 12" splash, 14" medium crash and 18" crash/ride (all Wuhan) really makes the perfect setup with my Bop kit for low volume gigs. If I want a cleaner/dryer ride, I use my 18" Zildjian A medium ride.
    The edges of my 10" are rolling up too. Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Sabian HHX Evolution 18" O-Zone & Zildjian A Custom 18" China Boy. Also have Zildjian 10 & 12" Splash Cymbals but have never used them.........

User Info Menu

I really like to play China cymbals. The China at our church is an 18" Zildjian K. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army