Thread: Problems with CY-13R on a Roland TD-9

User Info Menu

Default Problems with CY-13R on a Roland TD-9

I bought this kit 5 years ago. It came with a standard dual zone cymbal pads so I used one of those as my ride. On the TD-9, there was an extra cable coming out labeled "RDB", obviously for the bell. I thought, one day I'll buy one of those triple-zone cymbals.

There was one thing I thought was weird when I got my kit all those years ago. I remember trying to plug the "RDB" into a different cymbal. I thought, logically, this other cymbal should let me hear the bell sound right? But when I plugged it in, nothing came out. I remember thinking, this cable must be made specifically for a triple-zone ride cymbal.

So I got one today. I plugged both cable into it, including the RDB for the very first time, and I can only hear 2 zones, bow and edge. When I hit the bell, the bow sound comes out. If I plug the RD cable only, same result. I get two zones and when I hit the bell, the bow sound comes out. When I plug in the RDB cable only, nothing comes out. Could there be something wrong with the RDB cable itself?

I should mention that on the RDB cable it says, "For CY-12R/C", and I'm using a CY-13R. Could that be the problem? Could the TD-9 module only be compatible with a CY-12R or C? I googled a lot for this to make sure this cymbal was compatible and I found nothing that indicated it wasn't.

Problem solved. The trigger type was wrong. I changed it to CY-12R and the bell works now.
    Last edited by clem84; 11-01-2016 at 09:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Problems with CY-13R on a Roland TD-9

Quote Originally Posted by clem84 View Post
    Problem solved. The trigger type was wrong. I changed it to CY-12R and the bell works now.
    Sometimes that's the thing dealing with electronic gear, as I've found now and then with it......you have moments of sheer creative delight and then the moments of absolute frustration wondering why the heck nothing works, when you then realise something is wrong in the connection train.

Or worse still, thinking you've got it all happening and it....doesn't. Then realised.....oh you haven't switched this button on or you've just put in one cable patch wrong, lol. Happens in the world of synths too. Glad you've sorted the problem out yourself.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8