Thread: Abe Laboriel Jr's kit?

User Info Menu

Default Abe Laboriel Jr's kit?

I was wondering what other drummers think of Abe Laboriel Jr and his drum set? He grooves it like a boss. The Vic Firth video of him improvising on them huge drums is fantastic.

I was thinking regarding Abe's drum sizes (28" kick, 15, 18 and 20" toms and a very deep snare) how versatile are these drum sizes in particular? He seems to have played on hundreds of records and toured with all kinds of artists ranging from all kinds of genres yet his drum sizes have always been particularly large, often considered a "rock" drum setup. What are people's opinions on this? I love this playing and love the tone but have always wondered, would studio producers and live sound guys have any trouble with the drums and their sizes? And what about the other musicians? I can't imagine playing a jazz fusion gig with these drum sizes? Or do they work?! Abe certainly seems to make them work. Anyone else using bigger drums? Or any session drummers out there got any opinions/views?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Abe Laboriel Jr's kit?

I can't answer all your questions but how cool is this set-up!
    I would think he'd be behind a different kit appropriate for what style he's playing.
    If not, he or they'd make it work.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-02-2016 at 05:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm a firm believer that any kind of music can be played on any kind of drums. The question for me would be what would those drums be like to play? I can't think the response and feel of a 28" bass drum would be like a conventional sized drum. Also the toms. The head tension would have to be cranked up a fair amount so as not to sound "flabby"
    This guy has obviously tweaked these drums to get the sound and feel he likes, but it might not be yours or my cup of tea.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 11-02-2016 at 05:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't feel very confident using the slave pedal as my main one, but his setup is pretty smart. He can get that huge 15" rack as low as he wants. I know what I'm doing this weekend now.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 11-02-2016 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I had a friend who did that too. Said it helped him get his toms and snare exactly where he wants them with an oversized bassdrum.

I played on it once. I honestly don't like those huge bassdrums.
    The feel and the rebound don't do well for my style.