Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum thumper

User Info Menu

Default Drum thumper

?? When I 1st started reading about this I thought it was a joke? Who would buy this crap, and it is $300 to boot WTH?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dntCEM5Ca8s
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum thumper

worthless to me. But I hit hard enough to feel and know where my bass drum is.
    It would make me giggle for the first time using it but that's about it.
    Not a necessity for me, especially at $300

User Info Menu

Any new gadget on the market is useless and waste of money.

User Info Menu

Maybe IF Pearl gave me one and I had roadies to set it up for me every night and great sound guys to make it work properly . Otherwise .... no . Maybe you could attach it to your couch and hook it up to your home theater system . Then the whole family could enjoy it and your wife might not give you grief for spending all that money ..

User Info Menu

^I placed my home theater sub under the couch...

this would be an awesome idea as I was hoping for a lot more vibration during explosions and etc.!

hmm......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^I placed my home theater sub under the couch...

this would be an awesome idea as I was hoping for a lot more vibration during explosions and etc.!

hmm......
    Go to Parts Express and look up .. Aura Sound AST-2B-4 Bass Shakers Tactile Transducers . These do just that and are around $40 each .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Go to Parts Express and look up .. Aura Sound AST-2B-4 Bass Shakers Tactile Transducers . These do just that and are around $40 each .
    Holy crap I just bought two!!
    I can't wait to get these and install them!!
    Thank you for the tip!!!

User Info Menu

Don't see the point

User Info Menu

I thought it was a joke too but after reading some reviews, it makes sense, especially if you can't hear your kick, at least you can feel it in your bum.

User Info Menu

Drums have been around since at least 2001, a space something or other.

Now, after all this time, people need to feel their BD in their a$$.

Imagine, 1st enemas, now this. Got to love progress.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Drums have been around since at least 2001, a space something or other.

Now, after all this time, people need to feel their BD in their a$$.

Imagine, 1st enemas, now this. Got to love progress.
    Bravo!!

User Info Menu

This idea has been around for a few years now and there are a number of products that do this the most common I've come across being the Bum Chum:

You can often see Gavin Harrison using these for live shows:

PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Again...........don't see the point. Donate the $300 to a homeless shelter. Money better spent. Heck, just burn the money.......still better spent.

User Info Menu

I put those bass shakers in my couch and let me tell you that is totally worth the investment!! My entertainment center is complete!

But as far as my drum stool and bass drums... I am a heavy hitter and my bass drums sound like thunder and I have no troubles hearing/feeling them when I play.

It also always for some reason seems to surprise sound guys when I tell them I want NO drums in my monitors. I can hear myself play just fine.

User Info Menu

I would never knock anyone else's monitor mix, but I always instruct the sound company to give me all of the vocals and my bass drum in the drummer's wedge...............seems to work best every time.

I don't have any trouble hearing my other drums and cymbals -- and I really don't have any trouble hearing my bass drum -- but I do love the bass drum to be out front driving the band............so I want it cranked in the monitor.

My bass player sets up right next to my FT, so I KNOW he's there !
    And, as usual...............I have no trouble hearing those pesky guitars.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I often use in ear monitors so will have a mix which includes kick, snare and at least overheads. I use IEM's to help prevent ear damage so I use ones that attenuate the overall ambient volume so I'm fully reliant on the mix going to my ears. Going back a few years, it wouldn't be unusual for me to have a standard wedge and the sound team installing a massive sub/bass bin type cabinet simply to get the kick back to the drummer. That would, no doubt, cause hearing damage. I think for those no longer using those large cabinets, they may miss the vibration that such a unit would give and have used these devices to replicate that. It's niche, without a doubt and has been borne out from a push to reduce overall stage volumes to give greater control to front of house.

If that is the case, it's very similar to what John Petrucci (guitarist for Dream Theater) did when he had a couple of vibration units built to go either side of his pedal board as he found he would often play with his foot on a floor wedge and missed the vibration through his feet when he went to in ears. You can see these vibration units pictured here either side of the pedal board:

Last edited by BigFatDrummer; 01-05-2017 at 09:52 AM.

User Info Menu

^I never knew those were inside the boxes lol
    I thought they just looked cool.

User Info Menu

For that price I'd rather have a 7x13 ludwig blk magic snare!lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    This idea has been around for a few years now and there are a number of products that do this the most common I've come across being the Bum Chum. You can often see Gavin Harrison using these for live shows.
    I'm going to seriously look in to this. This will allow me to keep the IEM level down in my ears but still feel the kick. My biggest compliant of using a stage monitor is how I never can get the 18" wedge to give me the low end of my kick without having to increase the stage volume. Bass drum articulation is difficult if I can't hear it but if I can feel from the throne, I can see how it could improve my playing. There's too many pictures of me playing at small venue gigs with my head down and I know it's because I can't hear the kick due to poor acoustics/monitor or phase cancellation from the bass players cabinet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I would never knock anyone else's monitor mix, but I always instruct the sound company to give me all of the vocals and my bass drum in the drummer's wedge...............seems to work best every time.
    That's exactly what I use in my monitor except I don't like a real loud kick in there like some drummers. I also get any instrument in there that I'm having trouble hearing, particularly bass guitar.

User Info Menu

Good grief! Now I think I've heard everything. Huge virgin bass drums, longer depths, infinite head selections, state of the art pedals and the bass drum can't be heard! Perhaps cleaning of the ears is in order!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

We only mic the vocals, so that's all I can hear in the monitors. It tends to result in a very loud stage, since the guitar amps are turned up loud enough to reach the back of the room. I usually need to mic my kick. There's many times I can't hear my kick, so being able to feel it in my throne would be nice.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

+1^

I can count on one hand the clubs around here that have a pro wedge or at least just a good one for the drummer. Usually it's something like a Mr. Microphone speaker with bad wiring.
    Last edited by slinky; 01-13-2017 at 09:35 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I can think of other more worthy things to buy with that class of money.....
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Good grief! Now I think I've heard everything. Huge virgin bass drums, longer depths, infinite head selections, state of the art pedals and the bass drum can't be heard! Perhaps cleaning of the ears is in order!!

all the best...
    With in ear monitoring, I cannot hear much of anything unless (particularly with any clarity) its fed to my monitor mix. Part of the reason I prefer IEM's is that it prevents much of the potential for hearing damage by attenuating the ambient noise. So, no, I cannot hear my kick when using IEM's hence why some opt to use drum thumper type products. If this is not an issue for you, don't buy them and move on.