Thread: keller shells

User Info Menu

Default keller shells

i was wondering whats wrong with keller shells, people will recommend a custom drum company, but their draw back seems to be the keller shells, what are they and what is so bad about them??

User Info Menu

I don't think there's anything really 'wrong' with them, IMO it's just a bit decieving to hear about different "custom" drum shops all using the same wood.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with them , just that every custom drum company uses them. So in that light what is really custom about the drum?

User Info Menu

there is very little drawback about keller shells
    the nice thing is
    they like to stay round
    they are strong and consistent
    mainly what you are paying for with a custom drum company is amazing finishes
    and brilliant attention to detail
    you can pick your own lugs
    you can do crazy hybrid finishes that ar half acrylic and half wood

and best of all
    you can get any sizes that you want
    you can pick your bearing edges
    you can pick innovative things like cradle mounts for floor toms

theres not a whole lot that isnt custom about those drums
    =]

im a big fan of sjc custom
    truth drums
    and c&c drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    there is very little drawback about keller shells
    the nice thing is
    they like to stay round
    they are strong and consistent
    mainly what you are paying for with a custom drum company is amazing finishes
    and brilliant attention to detail
    you can pick your own lugs
    you can do crazy hybrid finishes that ar half acrylic and half wood

and best of all
    you can get any sizes that you want
    you can pick your bearing edges
    you can pick innovative things like cradle mounts for floor toms

theres not a whole lot that isnt custom about those drums
    =]

im a big fan of sjc custom
    truth drums
    and c&c drums
    nail on the head right there. there is nothing wrong with keller. dw made thier name on keller shells that were not made as well as they make them today.

User Info Menu

If you had a car hand made, would you be upset knowing that it's the steel in the frame came from a mass production foundry? That it is indeed the same steel that ford or chevy use? No, you'd be satisfied knowing that the leather seats are just right, that the radio is perfect, and in the ideal place, that the paint job is exactly what you wanted, fade, gold flakes, whatever you're choice. You'd thrill in the fact you helped design the wheels, and the engine is exactly what you want. It's enough to know that every shmuck in the world could, if they so chose buy the same car easily enough. With custom drumsets, you're not customizing the wood, you're customizing the look and feel of the kit as a whole. Just my opinion.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    If you had a car hand made, would you be upset knowing that it's the steel in the frame came from a mass production foundry? That it is indeed the same steel that ford or chevy use? No, you'd be satisfied knowing that the leather seats are just right, that the radio is perfect, and in the ideal place, that the paint job is exactly what you wanted, fade, gold flakes, whatever you're choice. You'd thrill in the fact you helped design the wheels, and the engine is exactly what you want. It's enough to know that every shmuck in the world could, if they so chose buy the same car easily enough. With custom drumsets, you're not customizing the wood, you're customizing the look and feel of the kit as a whole. Just my opinion.

well done sir =]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    well done sir =]
    wow... reading through it again, I think I just had a series of incomplete thoughts that I threw together... but, I guess you get the point. man... I didn't even use very good sentance structure... a third grader would laugh at me for my inability to write. lol oh well
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

eh thats okay
    ive been on boards where people cant even spell =[
    hahaha

User Info Menu

Default Re: keller shells

Here is some Keller FYI.

- 1978 Keller made Rogers XP-8 power shells. The 1st all maple
    - DW started using Keller shells, and learned what they know from Keller. many old timers prefer Keller shells (see below)
    - Some Keller shells had gaps in the plies, but that's rare in recent years. Even so, the shells pack power because the wood is simply stronger.
    - Keller makes a whole lot more than just maple shells. Here are a few shells

You might not know about:
    - White Ash
    - Cherry
    - African mahogany
    - Birch
    - Bubinga
    --and lots more, on "name" kits ranging from GMS, to Pork pie, Pearl and others.

Keller's two standard flavors of maple: 6 ply (5.4mm) and 8-ply (7.4mm)

Keller's maple is heavier and denser than most used.

Keller is making my 10 ply Birch toms - 6x8" deep and 8x8 respectively.
    Last edited by 1986TamaSS; 01-31-2011 at 10:37 PM.

ThePloughman Guest

1963-64 Keller three ply MPM shells............. The absolutely most desired Rogers USA drums ever built.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    1963-64 Keller three ply MPM shells............. The absolutely most desired Rogers USA drums ever built.
    I never even researched Keller back that far! I always thought back that far it was Jasper, or in-house.

The oldest Rogers kit I listened to was circa a 1968 model. It was definitely fat sounding. I had an Asian firewood kit, and I could not get it to do anything more than thud. The Rogers sounded fat with coated ambs.

ThePloughman Guest

Rogers quit using Jasper shells in late 62, early 63. I am not sure why, I dont remember ever hearing a reason for the switch.

1968 Rogers would have been a five ply keller MPMPM shell with reinforcing rings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Rogers quit using Jasper shells in late 62, early 63. I am not sure why, I dont remember ever hearing a reason for the switch.

1968 Rogers would have been a five ply keller MPMPM shell with reinforcing rings.
    yep, definitely remembered re-rings. This kit had (IIRC)

- 20" kick (too long ago may have been 22)
    - 12/13 rack toms on a rail of sorts
    - 16" ft
    - He had a dyna steel snare, (I think it was 5 1/2x14) definitely had snare cage
    The finish was a gold sparkle of sorts.

User Info Menu

And is this right? Keller was/is also a manufacturer of wood furniture, so drum manufacturers can be assured that the wood making is of a high standard anyway.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    And is this right? Keller was/is also a manufacturer of wood furniture, so drum manufacturers can be assured that the wood making is of a high standard anyway.

Drum shells are supposed to be... 2% of their business.