Thread: Question for those of you who are good at writing music/time signatures

User Info Menu

Default Question for those of you who are good at writing music/time signatures

I was messing around on my computer and wrote a rhythm but I can't figure out what time signature it is.

The rhythm is in triplets. One bar consists of 11 triplet 8th notes instead of 12 (1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2). But what does that make the time signature? I first thought it was like 7/8 but I don't think it actually lines up correctly... 7/8 would cut off the end of the last triplet note. Any idea?
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question for those of you who are good at writing music/time signatures

Not entirely sure, but 12/8 is 12 8th note triplets, so could it be 11/8? Seems the most logical to me...
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question for those of you who are good at writing music/time signatures

I found this:

Hope it's helpful!

User Info Menu

Just asked my dad, he plays saxophone, and he came to the conclusion of 11/8 too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Taras View Post
    Not entirely sure, but 12/8 is 12 8th note triplets, so could it be 11/8? Seems the most logical to me...
    I found this:

Hope it's helpful!
    Just asked my dad, he plays saxophone, and he came to the conclusion of 11/8 too.
    jees... yeah I guess that makes sense. Donno why I didn't think of that lol

thanks
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

No probs. Don't take my word for it, but it seems right to me.

User Info Menu

yes I'd count it as 11/8

User Info Menu

11/8? Check out Allman Brothers Whipping Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUvxRjYqjEQ
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I get the 11 8th notes.
    But couldn't you count it as
    1&a 2&a 3&a 4&

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    I get the 11 8th notes.
    But couldn't you count it as
    1&a 2&a 3&a 4&
    Yes, you could... just when I envisioned it, I wasn't counting the time, I was just repeating the rhythm and then backed into it as being triplets but short one note.
    thats why I was thrown off.. trying to make triplets work in a time signature but they really should just be counted as 8ths.
    Too Much Stuff.