Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Kit to Use?

User Info Menu

Default What Kit to Use?

It frustrates me to even think that one of my kits is going to be sitting at home and will never see a gig whilst the other will never be practised on. My question is, how do you decide what you're going to take to a concert? It's annoying because I want a good kit to practise on but obviously a good kit to gig with, too. But I don't want to keep dismantling the practice kit (currently the better of my two kits) to gig with it because I can never get anything in the same place it was before when I assemble it again.

Concerts aren't a regular thing, by the way. Makes it even more annoying because I still don't want to dismantle the practise kit, even if it is once every few weeks!!

Thanks
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Kit to Use?

I would keep the more expensive kit for practice knowing that it's safe.. for gigging i would use whatever cheap kit i could make sound good.. no reason to take s $4k shell pack to a gig where no one can tell the difference between that and 25 year old swingstars that were $300..

User Info Menu

I always used my better kit (Starclassic) for gigging and the cheaper kit (Swingstar) stayed at the practice space...which was not my house, it was our singer's house.

So essentially I'd practice at home on the gigging kit too.

I'd recommend getting a rug, mark it with gaffers tape where each piece of your kit goes. I marked my cymbal stands with a sharpie too. Then I knew exactly where each piece went and how it was set up. Repeatable results every time.

User Info Menu

That is a toughy.... I bought the PDP kit on purpose just to gig with.
    I knew it was a great intermediate kit with a high end sound.
    I got it used at a price I don't mind gigging with at all.

My Yamaha I wish I wouldn't have taken out but it was my best kit at the time and now I regret it but I don't regret going on tour or having the opportunity I did.

My brand new Pork Pie as much as I'd hate to say it will sit in the basement will be a house kit unless there's some crazy venue or show that I really want to show off for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I always used my better kit (Starclassic) for gigging and the cheaper kit (Swingstar) stayed at the practice space...which was not my house, it was our singer's house.
    So essentially I'd practice at home on the gigging kit too.
    Same here.

Practice kit (crappy Yamaha) sits at the guitar players studio (it's his kit)..............I usually bring a couple of nice cymbals to practice.
    My gig kit (Gretsch USA) sits at home for my individual practice and goes with me to the gigs.
    My only regret about the Gretsch shells is if I had known I would be gigging so much over so many years, I would have ordered them wrapped............they are ebony-stained maple shells and they have some battle scars.
    But they sound better then ever.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I alternate with 2 good kits to practice at home, one usually packed ready for gigging. Another, older kit is at the band practice house. It's no big deal to swap out the good kits since all the cymbals, etc., stay up until the gig. Gives me a chance to tune up, clean up while swapping the good kits.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I alternate my two higher end kits for gigs and my lesser kit stays set up in the rehearsal room. I don't mind taking the more expensive kits out into the real world since nobody but me touches them during load/unload and set up/breakdown.

User Info Menu

I keep one kit set up at practice and 2 kits sit in bags on a shelf, ready to get loaded for a gig. One small kit (SPL Bob) and one big kit (PDP Concept Maple). Depending on the venue size.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Wow, lots of replies. Thanks everyone!
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

I have my old Slingerland kit now set up at the practice space of the new band. The old band practice space had a kit, so all I used to bring were some cymbals. I "had" to get another set of hi hats and another snare stand so I could keep one on the practice set and the other packed up and ready to gig. I alternate between my Gretsch and my Tama kits for gigs and I have a full set of soft cases for each of them so I can just grab a kit and go. I keep my ekit set up at home for practice.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Call me crazy, but what's wrong with playing the same set at home OR gigging out?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Call me crazy, but what's wrong with playing the same set at home OR gigging out?

all the best...

My old band which I just left we played every weekend... such a pain. And we didn't practice at my place either!

So I left one kit at my house so I can practice any time and left one kit in our trailer for playing out and one kit setup for band practice.

It makes for a LOT less hauling of equipment and setup/tear down.
    But again we played a lot of shows.

For the light band playing guys it doesn't make as much sense.

User Info Menu

I do this for a living and there was a time on the road where I only had ONE kit . Had to use it for both rehearsal and gigging . Never did it ever bother me that I had to break it down for whatever . Now at 56 I have six drum kits , four that I rotate on the gigs . One is set up at my brothers recording studio and another up in Phoenix with my 15 year old niece . One of the four is always set up in my living room but it's not always the same one . The other three are packed and ready to go . I play at least six times a week (paying gigs) and not always is it the same set up . Sometimes I only need a kic , snare , hi hat and one cymbal . And it goes up from there . Micked , not micked , riser , no riser , stage , no stage , inside , outside ... what do I care I'm just happy to be playing the drums and lucky to still be making a living at it .
    You sound like a young guy...(I don't know you) and you shouldn't worry yourself about such things . Don't let it get to you ... just play ! You love the drums and drumming so just do it ! Trust me . And when you get to be my age and you're still playing all you'll have to worry about is maybe a little beer gut . But you'll still have your hair .. cause you didn't pull it out over such things . LOL !

User Info Menu

I keep my pricy DW's at home so as not to damage the gorgeous bubinga finish. I gig with my inexpensive PDP's which are plenty adequate for a punk rock band.

User Info Menu

I thought about getting a less expensive kit than the DW's to gig with, but the darn things are too pretty to not show off. They are wrapped and I am the only one who touches them. First to load in, last to load out. This way I know they are handled carefully and with respect. After three years, still no dings or scratches.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

all the best...
    Nothing. But, it's REALLY nice to have the gig kit, cymbals, hardware, sticks...everything, packed up in bags and ready to load. The weekly practice kit stays set up & ready to play as well. We played last Saturday and I got home at 4AM. We unloaded on Sunday and put everything on shelving, ready to load for the next gig. When we show up for practice this coming Sunday, we just walk in, sit down & play. Much better than showing up to practice an hour early just to set everything back up again first. We have a dedicated practice PA, mics, cords, amps, etc.. If I used the same kit, I'd have to set it up & tear it down twice as much....and I'm lazy.

Occasionally, I do switch out practice kits and gig kits, cymbals, etc., just for a change.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

all the best...
    Really? seems pretty obvious to me? You want to constantly tear down and set up one kit to practice and gig with? No way unless thats all I could afford.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

all the best...
    I think you and I are on the same page as I'm fairly sure that like me, you play a small set. My Whitney kit takes roughly 10 minutes to set up.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    I think you and I are on the same page as I'm fairly sure that like me, you play a small set. My Whitney kit takes roughly 10 minutes to set up.
    yeah... your "whitney" kit. lucky guy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Yeah. I totally understand these guys with the million piece set-ups. I wouldn't want to constantly tear down and set up those either. But! I've known many pro level drummers who've only owned one set of drums. It's totally doable.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Drums, guitars, cars and underwear; the more you own, the better.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Not me, I only have a 4 piece 3 cymbals stands, and I hate having to tear down, set up, tear down, set up to practice again. Different strokes for different folks. Having a dedicated kit sitting there ready for practice is so much more convenient.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've utilized at least 2 kits, and an e-kit at the rehearsal space. It originally started with a Yamaha SC and a PDP Concept Maple. They'd rotate between set-up at home for practice, and packed and ready to travel. I was always yearning for a DW Collectors, but would have been terrified to take it out, knowing the first scratch would send me into a complete meltdown. Then came the Performance series and now I had the pro level gigging kit I didn't have to fret about and sold the PDPs and kept the Yammies set-up in the basement full time.

Then came the '64 Ludwigs.....and then 8 more snares.

Now it's the Venue, the neighborhood it's in, the Room size, and Acoustics that guide the decision on equipment to use. I tried to keep it simple, but it just ends up more complicated.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

Over the last year, I've been mixing it up pretty good, often gigging using a Stewart kick, with Ludwig toms, or a Ludwig kick, with DW toms, you get the idea....mostly due to "stage" space limitations but this weekend, I broke down and used all matching drums, my Mapex Orion....wow I really had a great time playing it! 5 piece, 2 toms mounted on the kick, pretty easy setup....and they sounded great!

User Info Menu

I agree with Icetech. If a cheaper kit does the job well live, I would use that one live.