Thread: Scored an 18" floor tom. Finish question

User Info Menu

Default Scored an 18" floor tom. Finish question

I was able to get a cool 18" floor tom to go with the 16" inch floor tom on the Tama superstar kit. But my kit has a cherry wine finish and this one has a brown stain finish. My question is what stain/finish do I need to match it to the cherry wine kit.

I was reading about gibson sg's that have a translucent red wine finish and that's about as close as I can find.. But have any of you ever redid a cherry wine finish and if you have what did you use.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Scored an 18" floor tom. Finish question

I believe it may be difficult to change stain. I would think you would have to sand a lot of material away to remove stain, as stain is designed to soak into the wood Some wood guy on here can probably explain it better.

all the best...

User Info Menu

There has to be some kind of a stain remover on the market somewhere but finding one that is safe to use on drum shells might be a problem. Like Kay- Gee mentioned there are some members here experienced in drum refinishing. PM some of them.

User Info Menu

I kind of figured that I would have to get fairly deep to get most of the brown stain out. But then again I could leave quite a bit of it on there still and it will just darken under the cherrywine finish . It's a second floor tom that will be in the back and not so noticeable,I just don't like it being a total mixmatched.

The reason I bought it though is because old used 18" superstar toms sell for over 200.00 dollars and up on ebay and I was able to get it for quite a bit less than that and I think I would of regretted not buying it just because it was a different stain.

They make a 8" and a 10" tom for these kits too but I've seen crazy prices on those as well. 200.00 and up and I'm like" umm no thanks!''

As it sits now I have a 12",13",16",18",22" bass drum and I think that will do it for me. But yeah I'm out quite a bit of money on that floor tom and DW3000 double bass pedal so I'm gonna have to be content with what I got unless I run upon a deal. I could get some roto toms. But nah that would too self indulgent haha!
    Last edited by wired; 11-20-2016 at 08:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Congrats on getting a good deal.
    I have played an 18 FT for many years and I love it (my small FT is a 15).
    Once you get the tuning down (they are known to be difficult), it provides that extra deep sweet voice.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Matching the stain is the hard part. Getting the old stain off isn't so difficult, it's just messy. You can get paint/stain stripper at the hardware store. Make sure it says it works on lacquer. Follow the directions and you'll be able to scrape the old finish off with a putty knife. A second coat with steel wool should take it back to bare wood. Just make sure you have the floor covered with heavy plastic because its going to make a big mess. Search Youtube for refinishing furniture - same thing.

User Info Menu

Places like Home Depot can custom mix color stains. They can add more red, brown, black, etc., to the standard stain. Maybe you could take an existing tom in as a sample. The actual finish color will depend on the wood as well. If the color is fairly bright, you may need to go to a water based stain or alcohol based dye.

I would probably contact Bum Wrap first. It would be a ton less work and probably less money. Send them a pic of your existing finish and see if they can produce a wrap that matches. They've done that before for several old Ludwig finishes.

Another option is adhesive backed automotive grade vinyl wrap. It comes in an endless range of colors. I used that on a 10" tom I bought (EBay) for my dark shadow purple Premier kit. It was bright red, so I bought a piece of gloss black vinyl wrap for $20. You can't tell from more than 5' away.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 11-20-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'd love an 18 for my kits