Thread: Sabian Sound Kit

User Info Menu

Default Sabian Sound Kit

Has anyone used this kit before, or perhaps using it now? I'm looking at investing in one. I play small venues and don't figure I need a lot, and this looks like something that may work. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience using it?

http://www.sabiansoundkit.com/

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian Sound Kit

if you play small venues do you need mics at all?

also, not a lot of bang for your buck imo, i mean 3 inputs? this seems a bit more for recording than gigging (my thinking is if the gig needs mic-ing, this might not be enough).

I reckon if you do a lot of gigs that need some, but not all your drums mic-ed, sure, I personally can't say I know many venues where this will really pay off.

On the other hand, these guys are about $250Usd, so not a huge investment, so if you do some recording, they will pay for themselves in saved studio time...

User Info Menu

at that price they could have included the mic cables

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    at that price they could have included the mic cables
    Yeah after looking into it more, I saw that. I was under the assumption that the cables came with the kit. You know what they say when you assume
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

add the price of the cables and the mic stands you add close to 100$-200$
    in canada they sell it for 350$ before tx
    for a 3 channel system, for a bit more you can have a real nice 8 channel setup including mics

User Info Menu

Many better options than that. Not a good value.

User Info Menu

a wee bit gimmicky in my opinion...how does this help with gigging? can't ya just plug mics into the mixer, where all the other inputs are?

User Info Menu

This is not intended for live sound but designed to aid home practice allowing the player to hear their own kit whilst using a backing track/metronome. Watch the video and you'll see what this is all about. I wouldn't be using this for live.

That said, it is a fair amount of money for a practice tool.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    This is not intended for live sound but designed to aid home practice allowing the player to hear their own kit whilst using a backing track/metronome. Watch the video and you'll see what this is all about. I wouldn't be using this for live.

That said, it is a fair amount of money for a practice tool.
    Their website says it can also be used for live music in small venues and churches. From the website:

PERFORM
    Perfect for house of worship, small clubs, and fast setups.

PERSONAL
    DRUM MIXER
    Kick-tuned channel
    Overhead-optimized channels (2)
    Utilizes a simple three mic setup for natural sound
    Preset audio filters designed to take the guesswork out of getting great sound
    High output headphone amp with both 3.5mm and 1/4” jacks
    Line-out for live audio applications

Last edited by DrumWhipper; 11-21-2016 at 11:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Their website says it can also be used for live music in small venues and churches. From the website:

PERFORM
    Perfect for house of worship, small clubs, and fast setups.

PERSONAL
    DRUM MIXER
    Kick-tuned channel
    Overhead-optimized channels (2)
    Utilizes a simple three mic setup for natural sound
    Preset audio filters designed to take the guesswork out of getting great sound
    High output headphone amp with both 3.5mm and 1/4” jacks
    Line-out for live audio applications

Well, yeah, of course it can, but when playing live you'd have a sound board in place for other musicians so why would this be needed. Note that the live application feature comes at the bottom of the list.

This product is designed primarily for home practice/recording applications but could be used for live given the functions it needs to fulfill its primary purpose.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I think you could do better by getting say a Yamaha MG series usb mixer that has up to 32 inputs. Or like I do and get something like a focusritte audio interface into the computer, they both have headphone jacks for practice and tracking.
    Another thing I didn't like about that is the mics. I'm saving up for some Sennheiser e-604 mics or any high end mics. Of course you can use budget gear we all do and get decent results .

But why go cheap and get some cheap drum mics that eventually you'll want to upgrade your cheap gear,Why throw money away?! Why not be patient and save and get high quality gear that you'll enjoy for years to come and not be stuck trying to move old cheap gear on Craigslist ya know.
    Last edited by wired; 11-23-2016 at 06:35 AM.

User Info Menu

If you're looking for something that is already put together in a package (sans the cords and stands) then this will work . You can make ANYTHING work . But I think you can do better . This is meant to be specifically for drums but I think you should go with something more flexible . This thing is "pre eq'd" for drums so you're stuck with that eq curve that might not work in every room .
    I use to know a guy who would mic up his drums at EVERY gig . And he was playing small jazz trios in small restaurants and outside patios . He would do it to run a headphone mix for HIMSELF ! I never understood that . It's not like they were playing out , they were basically background music . He said it helped him get into the music and get a "feel" of the room (?) . But that's just how he did it .
    Well... good luck on your search .