Thread: A few questions about toms

User Info Menu

Default A few questions about toms

Im looking into getting more toms for my set. My set currently has one, but it doesnt sound the way I want it to. I really love the way that marching toms sound like. Is there a way to tune my tom to sound like that, or do I have to buy a certain kind of drum.

Also in looking at toms I ran across piccolo toms. They seemed interesting. Has anyone used these and what do they sound like?

Thanks for any help.

User Info Menu

My advice is to just purchase a few toms of the same shell and tune them as you want. I don't think a quad or marching toms would sound right on a set, I also think they have different sizes then normal.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

Shazane Guest

If I'm not mistaken, quads have no reso heads, so you might try taking the reso heads off of normal toms. Though you can probably get the right sound just by tuning meticulously if you have quality heads.

User Info Menu

Cool A few questions about toms

Good suggestion, shazane...except I would try tuning them with and without the resos on them before deciding.... marching quads also have a different shell cut (usually at an angle) that make them sound different from a conventional set...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Tune your toms higher and maybe take the reso head off.