Thread: Sabian & Paiste Cymbals RECORDING URGENT

User Info Menu

Default Sabian & Paiste Cymbals RECORDING URGENT

Hey everyone!

so tomorrow my band is recording a 3 track ep, which we had a week's notice/prep! so in saying that, my current cymbal setup isn't finished. I have a full set of Sabian B8's and a sabian aax xcelerator hi hat, and aax 16" fast xplosion crash. Now because I don't have a finish cymbal setup, i asked to borrow my friend Paiste Pst 7 cymbals.

My question is, will the Paiste PST 7 18" crash and 20" ride, or the Sabian B8 18" and 20" ride go best with my aax xcelerator hats and aax crash. I'm asking this because we wont have time to mess around and experiment with cymbals and we will be recording drums tomorrow morning! I've checked out youtube videos to try and get an idea but most of them are promo vids so I don't think it'd be fair to compare them when they're obviously biased and probably had some editing/effects added.

Pls let me know your thoughts ASAP!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian & Paiste Cymbals RECORDING URGENT

Go with your gut feeling mate.

Although I'm a Paiste guy; you know what I'll say. Having said that, to quote the famous Terry Keating; "Paiste knows B8".

PST7's are very good B8 cymbals and will record superbly.

Last edited by EyePea; 11-22-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brandn00b View Post
    Hey everyone!

so tomorrow my band is recording a 3 track ep, which we had a week's notice/prep! so in saying that, my current cymbal setup isn't finished. I have a full set of Sabian B8's and a sabian aax xcelerator hi hat, and aax 16" fast xplosion crash. Now because I don't have a finish cymbal setup, i asked to borrow my friend Paiste Pst 7 cymbals.

My question is, will the Paiste PST 7 18" crash and 20" ride, or the Sabian B8 18" and 20" ride go best with my aax xcelerator hats and aax crash. I'm asking this because we wont have time to mess around and experiment with cymbals and we will be recording drums tomorrow morning! I've checked out youtube videos to try and get an idea but most of them are promo vids so I don't think it'd be fair to compare them when they're obviously biased and probably had some editing/effects added.

Pls let me know your thoughts ASAP!
    strange mix of cymbals you have there... personally, i don't think either of them will sound good together with AAX cymbals, but I am also a curmudgeon. You should compare the pst-7s to the sabian b8's and see which sound better... hard to say.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Well, that Paiste line is supposed to be slightly better quality than the Sabian B8's so I'd go with the Paiste ones... If the music you are recording is louder it will be fine and should be easy to make the cymbals sound good. If it's more subtle stuff, it will be a lot harder because the cymbal tones will be more obvious.

User Info Menu

As an all around Sabian guy, I would actually go with the Paiste's.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike