Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Who-Keith Moon

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Who-Keith Moon

Didn't like him at all. Hated that he had such little respect for his equipment. Nuff said
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

VF came out with a sig Moon stick earlier this year. Short stick less than 16", .560 dia, taper looks kind of medium with oval tip.

Last edited by slinky; 12-31-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Here's a copy and paste of my thoughts from the original Keith Moon thread:

Keith Moon. What I love about his playing is simply this, he took it to a new place. He taught me very early on that there are no rules, you don't have to sit back and just keep time and wait for your moment to do a fill. He did fills where and whenever he felt, he brought the drummer from behind the band to the front.

Yes, his live performances were a bit spastic and sloppy at times , but his studio work was excellent. Listen to the Tommy album, his best work in my opinion , followed by Who's Next and Quadrophenia.

Keith Moon was a most definitely a great drummer, many don't like his style because he's not your typical drummer. He doesn't follow and type of theory or structure and in my opinion that is what made him great. The skill is clearly there, if you can't hear it you may want to try and understand that drumming is a form of expression , not just notes on a page that are meant to be played a certain way or order.

I thank Keith Moon for his drumming ability and the gift he gave me to have a open mind when approaching drumming. There are only a handful of musicians that made the choice to turn things upside down when playing their instrument. Moon was one of them.

Have a listen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_pPf7OqiE
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 01-02-2017 at 07:34 AM.

User Info Menu

A fair assessment NPYYZ, he certainly put on a show (I DON'T mean that condescendingly).

I've just read back through this thread, one point which I hate is "If you weren't there, you wouldn't understand". REALLY?! This is just a BS argument older people use to cover up the fact that some things in their day maybe weren't all that great. Even funnier when at least 90% of what I listen to was recorded before I was born, and my top three fave drummers are Mitchell and Bohnam, but apparently, my birth year determines which music I can play and speak authoritatively about. I guess I should also go burn my Bachelor's degree since I wasn't alive for WW2...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    What I love about his playing is simply this, he took it to a new place. He taught me very early on that there are no rules, you don't have to sit back and just keep time and wait for your moment to do a fill. He did fills where and whenever he felt, he brought the drummer from behind the band to the front.

Keith Moon was a most definitely a great drummer, many don't like his style because he's not your typical drummer. He doesn't follow and type of theory or structure and in my opinion that is what made him great.
    I liked his drumming on the albums you mention.
    It was his attitude and lifestyle that made him an irresponsible moron.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I don't know if there was much cut and paste involved in studio recordings from the 60's n 70's. What Moon did on all those classics is pretty amazing considering all the stories about his lifestyle. Maybe he tried his best to record sober
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I'm a Who fan. I saw them twice on their "Farewell" tour in the '80s with Kenny Jones. In all fairness, the shows were "just ok". I guess if Moon were alive today, I'd break out of my cave to see him wail away on the kit; like Peart drew me to Rush. I was never a fan of their vocals but it was Peart I wanted to see.

User Info Menu

Had a hoot reading this thread haha. I saw the who a couple of years ago with Zak Starkey (ringo starr’s son) on drums. Awesome show.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

They're doing their farewell tour right now. Going to be here in Atlanta in a couple months. The Super Bowl they played a few years ago blows anything the NFL has done since.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Never been a fan and have always thought he was over rated but I do appreciate that he flipped his nose at conventional drumming technique and what a drummer is supposed to be and do. He was creative but I also think there was a lot of stuff that is just so unprofessional that it borders annoying. In my Opinion he could not hold a candle to most of the drummers of that time but I do understand that is all a matter of personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    They're doing their farewell tour right now. Going to be here in Atlanta in a couple months. The Super Bowl they played a few years ago blows anything the NFL has done since.
    That was a good show for sure but nothing tops Prince in 2007, man that was incredible!
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO